New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Short Oil filter variants for Zetec
tendoshingan

posted on 20/11/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Short Oil filter variants for Zetec

Hi,
just found this webiste:
Oil filter Variations

and it shows different variants for the shorter oil filters that have been used for the zetec as per this post
link

Can anyone confirm if these are the same size in dimensions, as I am having problems fitting a filter due to the steering column shaft.

Cheers
Ian

coozer

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I considerd a very short filter from a Renault 5 but ended up with a remote filter head, not wanting to comprimise Henry's proposed filter size. Not the cheapest option but gives me piece of mind.

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bob

posted on 20/11/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Filters

OK, the link to the post on here is pretty old and i have managed to find other options.

The FRAM 2874 is short but i manged to find FRAM 4546 even shorter and used that for the last couple of years.

At my last oil change i fitted a PUROLATOR L17825 oil filter which is a couple or 3 mm shorter (every bit helps) these are listed as renault 5 turbo parts among others in the renault range of early 80's cars.

Some have said the threads are not the exact fit but i have had no issues with these filters in the last 3 years.

Hope this helps

SeaBass

posted on 20/11/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my standard post on this issue from 2 years ago:

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I had a good look around for a decent filter for my Zetec. All the usual suspects were just that - suspect eg using a Renault 5 filter which is M20 on a 3/4" ford oil filter thread - no thanks. I ended up using a short but fat filter from a Ford XR4x4 V6 / Cossie 2WD. Ford oil filter code EFL 298.

Looks like this:

I found the MANN filter catalogue online to be very useful. You can supply the dimensions you want to use and it comes back with suggestions.

MANN Filter Selector Here!

Hope this has helped...

r1_pete

posted on 20/11/08 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, I tried the renault 5 filter, would have been superb on the B but was not happy with that thread mix, it screws on but is not right.

I've got a brand new R5 turbo filter if anyone wants it for the cost of posting, couple of quid I'd guess.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 20/11/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Halfords HOF266 fits perfectly on mine. Dunno if the thread is different, but it screws on just as well as the proper Ford one as far as I can tell.

Stu

Mal

posted on 20/11/08 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thread problems

I think the thread problem is that the Zetec engine has a 3/4"UNF thread (19.05mm dia) and some Renault filters have this thread, but others have an M20 thread with a similar pitch to the UNF one.
Until I investigated I found the M20 threaded filter would screw on easily and grip on one oil pump, but on a spare pump it would not gripwhen tightened.

Mal

Krismc

posted on 20/11/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just take it off and stick a bolt in the hole!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

chris-p-duck
Contributor

Posts 256
Registered 16/4/07
Location West Mids

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a sense of satisfaction now things seem to work ok

posted on 20/11/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I used this sort - Fiat Cinquecento / Siecento one.

Ebay item number......

Same length as the short remote head so there is no size benefit in going for a remote unit.

Chris

austin man

posted on 20/11/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I just added another ujay to the steering shaft to alter the angle, then fitted a bush and a bracket to carry the modified shaft passed SVA covered 5000 miles no problem. Standard zetec filter used modification cos £15.00
tendoshingan

posted on 20/11/08 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks for all the replies.
I went to local motor factors and they had the one off the list, COOPERS Z107.

Fits perfectly and is roughly half the size of the Halfrauds hof200.

Only £5 too, bargain

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.