Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1 last welding question
Z20let Corsa

posted on 11/12/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
1 last welding question

right im nearly there. been doing a bit of practice and im pretty happy with the results. there are actually 2 questions. what do i need to alter to get the weld to penetrate into the metal im welding more? and also my welds seem to have little air bubbles in them. i thought this was lack of gas at 1st but its definately turned up enough, how do i tell how much gas is in the bottle?? thanks.

locost +4 v8 in progress.

dogwood

posted on 11/12/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
What welder are you using?

Usually more power means better penetration.
Holes in your welding could be contaminants, rust/ grease etc
Don't think there is any way of telling how much gas is left unless you have a regy gauge

HTH

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

blakep82

posted on 11/12/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
more power for more penetration, but you may need to turn the wire speed down a bit too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

maartenromijn

posted on 11/12/08 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
As above. And, as far as I know, but when you weld 'pushing', it will penetrate better then 'trailing' (I don't know the correct English terms). If you are not sure about the quality, cut open a few welds to check the penetration.

I thought it is standard to have a pressure gauge for the bottle, and a flow gauge. I always use 10 litres/min and the result is fine.

In the picture you can see the twin gauge gas set on the gas bottle. Sorry for this bad pic, but this is all I have athe moment. Rescued attachment 24-08-03 0002.jpg
Rescued attachment 24-08-03 0002.jpg

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

gjs

posted on 11/12/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
if the gas bottle is a full size it should have 2500-3000 psi on gauge,a flow meter is better as mentioned,also check no draughts blowing,wind etc,it will blow the gas from the weld area.
you could slow down a bit when welding,its hard to tell unless i can see what you are doin.Welding is usually best when everything is constant,travel speed arc length,gas pressure,cleanliness etc etc

[Edited on 11/12/08 by gjs]

dogwood

posted on 11/12/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maartenromijn
I thought it is standard to have a pressure gauge for the bottle, and a flow gauge. I always use 10 litres/min and the result is fine.
In the picture you can see the twin gauge gas set on the gas bottle.
quote:

Yes most welders do, but hobby welders only have a gas flow adjuster with no gauge.
So no way of telling how much gas is left.

[Edited on 11/12/08 by dogwood]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

maartenromijn

posted on 11/12/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes most welders do, but hobby welders only have a gas flow adjuster with no gauge

I'm using it for my hobby...

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

thomas4age

posted on 13/12/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
are you sure the gass reaches the end of the welding torch?

I worked a welder with a non detachable torch once, and there was a break in the gas line halfway down the torch flexi bit.

replaced it with a ESAB torch and socket, and the owner has never had problems since, results where the same, tiny pockets in weld seam.

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

Peteff

posted on 13/12/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you're using co2 from a cylinder with a dip tube it could be freezing up at the moment

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

jacko

posted on 13/12/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Are you pushing the torch or pulling it ?
you should push so the gas cleans and puts a shield around the weld your doing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/12/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Are you pushing the torch or pulling it ?
you should push so the gas cleans and puts a shield around the weld your doing

Pushing the torch technique only applies to long passes, almost all welds on a locost chassis are 1" long so you should be 90° to the weld in all planes and as close as you can reasonably get.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.