Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old pinto or something else?
danro

posted on 19/1/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Old pinto or something else?

Hi everyone.
I have just picked up the gauntlet again after a year or two of motivation block...
I have a 2l pinto sat on the drive where it has been for approx 6 years, covered most of the time with plastic
Now I'm nearing moving it (or something else) inside and into an engine bay.
But, it is looking a bit dejected so I was wondering what the other options are .. on a budget?

I'm not looking for a track racer, it will be a road car.
So, what will bolt up to the type 9 gear box and be better (lighterand or more power)?
.. and what sort of dosh should I brace myself for?
Is the type 9 too heavy, should I go for something else there too?

Many thanks

Danro

carlknight1982

posted on 19/1/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
zetec with a little work
UncleFista

posted on 19/1/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Zetecs are cheap and bolt stright up to the Type9.
Pre-95 "Silvertops" are tested to an emmisons level which doesn't need a cat.

"Paul the 6th" on here bought a 1.8l Zetec yesterday for £26 Mine was almost twice that but we got some other bits thrown in

THIS is a good site to start with concerning the zetec. Good luck

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

wilkingj

posted on 19/1/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends on how much money you want to spend!

If the Pinto is a good engine, you can use it and always change it in a couple of years time, when you have decided the pinto is not fast enough or whatever.

If your budget can stretch to a Zetec, then go for it.

You decide what the car is going to cost you!!

Nowt wrong with a Pinto, and it will go well in a Se7en.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 19/1/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
if your pinto is good internally, then use that.

mcerd1

posted on 19/1/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
If your type 9 is in decent nick then I'd stick with it - it'll fit loads of engines and should be good for at least 145bhp with no mod's

does your pinto need a rebuild or just a tidy up ?
if its needing rebuilt it might be better to get something else now rather than later (bearings, gaskests and rings etc all add up even if you do the work yourself)

as above a silver-top 1.8 zetec is posibly the next cheapest option to the pinto with minimal mods to fit it

but one thing to think about is how your going to fuel your engine (what ever one you go for) - as there can be a little extra cost here if your not using the donor parts

paul the 6th

posted on 19/1/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
aye £26 quid for a zetec engine, I was pleased indeed still waiting for the guy to get in touch funnily enough. If he's not in touch by wednesday, I might have to reconsider the offer to buy it (since I'm working down here and would be able to pick it up, but if he's not contacted me then I'm not too happy with the thought of a 400 mile round trip just to pick it up).

I'd have thought it would make your life easy enough to build and sva the car with the pinto & type 9 box since you know for a fact they fit together perfectly... then when the car is road registerred, go about your business and upgrade to a zetec in your own time. At MOT time, the car will still be tested on the less stringent emissions which apply to the pinto (although as someone said above, a phase 1 zetec wouldn't require a catalytic convertor).

If this guy doesn't get in touch with me before wednesday then the ebay engine may be up for grabs for anyone on here if he gets his finger out then I'll still have it

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
flak monkey

posted on 19/1/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
The pinto is a good, solid, forgiving engine. Mine is regularly thrashed and has survived it all....

They are dirt cheap to tune as well. Also very cheap to fit compared to a 'modern' engine like a zetec. Plus they are easy to get through SVA, even fitted with a set of snorting 45's they'll breeze the emissions test

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dogwood

posted on 19/1/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to fit a Zetec to mine now it's passed the SVA ( Smug mode )

But decided it's too much work.
Now looking for a good 2ltr pinto.

David

PS Anyone got one they want to sell?

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

mcerd1

posted on 20/1/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
I should have said above that I went for a Pinto too - I just got a little carried away with my re-build / upgrades
danro

posted on 20/1/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm I thought I had posted last night

A zetec for under a couple of £ would be great.
Am I correct in my understanding that all "non silver tops" would need a cat?

Also what is the power I would get from an 1.8 silver top.
I'm not expecting to set the world alight with it but would be interested in what to expect....

Many thanks for your helpful replied

Danro

danro

posted on 20/1/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
This is the reason I was thinking of dumping the pinto...
What do you think?...

and....

Is this as bad as it looks....?

danro

mcerd1

posted on 20/1/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
mine was worse than that, but its cleaned up ok - the donor had 151k on the clock (most of which with tractor oil in it) and had sat in a field for 6+ years with grass growing through it

all I did to start with was check the oil and water, made sure the clutch wasn't stuck and the engine wasn't seized - stuck a new battery on and it started first turn of the key on 6+ year old unleaded

its a bit cleaner now though, but still not back together yet (the slowest engine re-build in history) - but I could have just stuck some carbs and a points type dizzy on and used it as it was

which version of the pinto have you got / has it got EFI or carbs / which donor did it come from?

having said all that if you find a zetec at the right price........

if you don't use the pinto I guess someone one hear might want it for parts

-Robert

[Edited on 20/1/09 by mcerd1]

danro

posted on 21/1/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
So it may not be as bad as I thought!!??

It came from a 2.0l Sierra Ghia obviously with the EFI unit.
As time has gone on I'm starting to think carbs may be a quicker way forward to get on the road....

mcerd1

posted on 21/1/09 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about a little muck/ scale that you can see there, a bit of a clean and a new water pump (and maybe a thernostat housing)

if I was thinking about using that engine without rebuilding it I'd have the sump and rocker cover off for a look and a measure
and after that maybe the head, but then you need a new gasket and have to re-time it, but I'd probably stick a new timing belt on anyway
-
but thats me, some people would just ckeck it turned over, wire it up and try it

quote:
Originally posted by danro
As time has gone on I'm starting to think carbs may be a quicker way forward to get on the road....

there are a few people on here who have used the ford efi on a pinto - search the old threads/ star a new one if you need to know about that
(but don't ask me, I took 1 look at all the wires and ordered some carbs the same day )

the ford EFI is fine if your happy with the same power as the sierra had, but if you want more power on a budget then a carb (or carbs) might be worth thinking about
bike carbs are worth looking at

I got bike carbs for mine and megajolt for the sparks (as anupgrade to replace the dizzy - but the bottom half of the dizzy needs to stay as it drives the oil pump! )
my carbs and manifold came from bogg bros. for £350 (price might have gone up now) but a DIY manifold and some carbs from a breaker and jet them yourself should be allot less than this
and the megajolt, trigger wheel & donor bits for it was about £150

[Edited on 21/1/09 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 21/1/09 by mcerd1]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.