Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol resistant sealant?
nitram38

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Petrol resistant sealant?

I had my boubts when an engineer made me a flange for my fuel pump, that the "O" ring groove was too deep.
Well it leaks (very slowly), so I want to know what sealant I could use that will stop it bearing in mind that it is in the bottom of the tank.
I was thinking along the lines of Blue Hylomar?

skippad

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I used Red Hermitite with no problems.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
The trouble with red is that it doesn't like petrol and will harden and leak.

westf27

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
could you pack up the seal from the bottom of the groove,with say ptfe tape.

westf27

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
just had another thought,machine the flange face down,thus reducing the groove depth.

russbost

posted on 2/3/09 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
petro patch? which is basically a fibreglass type resin, or simply fibreglass resin???
Will obviously harden but assuming you're not taking the pump out every 5 mins does it matter?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 2/3/09 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Can you not source a deeper ring?
nitram38

posted on 2/3/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by westf27
just had another thought,machine the flange face down,thus reducing the groove depth.

The tank is in the car and even if I got it out, I'm not sure if they can bolt it in a mill.

I am going to try blue hylomar as it says that it is not effected by petrol.

Cheers for the replies

Description
Description

[Edited on 2/3/2009 by nitram38]

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 2/3/09 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
petrol resistant rubber gasket? Premier fuel systems should be able to help.

did the flange warp whent it was welded in?

Paul

BenB

posted on 2/3/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for some blue. Otherwise you could make a cork gasket to sit between the sender and the tank.... Fuel proof and rather maleable...
MikeCapon

posted on 2/3/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Martin there are masses of different O rings available. There will be one which will do the job and it's far better than bodging with goo. I'll find you a supplier.

Here you go. I don't buy from these peeps but they've got a good site showing all the different metric and BS rings. Linky

[Edited on 2/3/09 by MikeCapon]

Edited again to add. You want to aim for 25-30% compression of the O ring for a good reliable dynamic seal.

[Edited on 2/3/09 by MikeCapon]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 2/3/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mike I'll take it out and have a measure and try your people first. If they don't have one, then it is the blue goo!

02GF74

posted on 2/3/09 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skippad
I used Red Hermitite with no problems.

PEEPS - PLEASE READ THE TUBE!.

blue stuff stays not resistant to petrol whereas the red is.

I've got the blue and the red stuff and have used both to seal senders. I found the blue stuff went soft whereas as far as I know the red stuff is still fine. (i.e. I am not aware of leaks).

AdamR

posted on 2/3/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

I've got the blue and the red stuff and have used both to seal senders. I found the blue stuff went soft whereas as far as I know the red stuff is still fine. (i.e. I am not aware of leaks).

Sure you've got that the right way around? The Blue Hylomar I've got definitely says it's fuel resistant on the packet - even suitable for sealing injectors apparently.

nitram38

posted on 2/3/09 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Red goes hard and peels off. Blue stays soft to maintain the join.

02GF74

posted on 2/3/09 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdamR
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Sure you've got that the right way around? The Blue Hylomar I've got definitely says it's fuel resistant on the packet - even suitable for sealing injectors apparently.

errr, I think so but will check and post photo.

nitram38

posted on 2/3/09 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Blue Hylomar link

02GF74

posted on 3/3/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
no photo, but did look at the packaets.

blue stuff states fuel resistant (one assumes to be petrol but may be just deiesel, unlikley though).

red stuff states petrol resistant.

Jubal

posted on 3/3/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used blue to seal a leak under my fuel sender plate. Was fine for over a year while I had the car and as far as I know still is. HTH.

[Edited on 3/3/09 by Jubal]

nitram38

posted on 7/3/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Update, bought O ring. They come in standard sizes so I could only get one 0.3mm thicker!
No good, still leaks.
Tried the blue goo.....still leaks!

Is it worth making a paper gasket (plus blue goo) ?

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 7/3/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
i had a fuel tank made with an inspection / access plate in the top. went to a local gasket maker for advice to seal it. he told me the ONLY way to seal it properly was to use a nitrile rubber seal - the plate had to also have very close bolts to stop plate bending.. and use the sheet in one piece rather than a strip right round. now your is a different application but i'm guessing its the problem of 2 or 3 things
1. your not using a totally petrol resistant sealant - nitrile IS the stuff
2. the surface its sealing between - is it actually touching the seal an both sides of the pieces together?
3. is there anything getting in the way? debris? splits? scratches? petrol WILL find a hole no matter how small

i tried alsorts of stuff to seal - thats the best

nitram38

posted on 7/3/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am going to give it one more try tomorrow (I'm at work tonight) and if I can't get a seal, it is tank out and I'll get the blighter who put the o ring groove in too deep, to mill the surface!

Here is a photo when the chassis was upside down and the damn thing was accessible!
[img][/img]

nitram38

posted on 8/3/09 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've found another option. It would seem that O rings come in standard thickness dependant on the dia of the ring. So I can't get a much thicker one, but they do cord which is basically a length of rubber (in this case because of petrol, NBR) that comes in any thickness. This can be cut with a knife and the ends super glued to form a ring.
I'm going to try this before getting the tank out.
The problem with getting the tank out is that I have to remove a water pipe (drain down) and the handbrake cables just to get at it.

nitram38

posted on 10/3/09 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Finally sorted it!
I used 6.5mm cord to create an O ring (superglued at the ends) and the tank is currently holding 30 Litres of petrol without a hint of a leak! (I built up the level over several hours).
I am just finding out how much it holds (expected 33 litres) for the virtual tank level of the Veypor VR2.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.