Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit Car Idea
GRRR

posted on 24/4/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Kit Car Idea

Just toying with ideas, what do people think of a kit car concept based on taking an average cheap front wheel drive car, taking the FWD layout and sticking it into a spaceframe chassis with a pretty convertible body on it? Kind of like a Quantum 2+2 but actually looks nice and like it came from this decade

There's so many track focused and exo cars it looks like there's a bit of a gap for something with some style and wider appeal.

You'd keep the MacPherson struts for cost reasons and keep it FWD, maybe a mk4 fiesta or a Saxo as a donor car. Maybe time to give the budget end of the kit car market something a bit more unisex?

[Edited on 24/4/09 by GRRR]

piddy

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good.
I 'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Steve Hignett

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote

clairetoo

posted on 25/4/09 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Um.....mid/rear engined , and hardly `budget`

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Humbug

posted on 25/4/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Um.....mid/rear engined , and hardly `budget`

... and not convertible

smart51

posted on 25/4/09 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Nice idea. I had this idea about 10 years ago. the problem I had was the height of the engine. If you want a seats on the floor sports car layout you need a low engine so you can look over it. You also want a fairly short wheelbase if it is going to be a 2 seater and look OK. Finally, you want fairly low mcpherson struts if you want a low bonnet line.
zilspeed

posted on 25/4/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
The packaging is all wrong to keep the bonnet line low like it is in a seven.

The strut tops are way too high.
That's why the only succesfull cars to use FWD donors use them in mid engined cars.

FWD kit cars include the Midas and Mini Marcos and also the Sylva Jester along with the Quantums.

Most of these tend to a high bonnet line and this influences the type of car which you can build to a huge extent.

Much as I am obviously a big fan of Sylvas, the Jester completely doesn't work. The Mini Marcos is now regarded as a classic, but it's still not for me.

I would look to the Midas and Quantum for inspiration.

mr henderson

posted on 25/4/09 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
To add to the problems already mentioned there is the distance that a FWD engine extends forwards from the front axle line.

Basically the idea, although attractive from the point of view of economics, ease of build etc, cannot produce anything other than a rather unattractive sports car

John

iank

posted on 25/4/09 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Biota is the prettiest I've seen using this layout, and was a successful hillclimber in it's day, though they didn't sell many. A-series mini engine/gearbox it smuggled in the bonnet bulge.
http://www.classic-kitcars.com/classic-kitcar-details.php?24

As said a tall twincam engine makes styling hard to get right.

Having said all that they, and for all the anti-FWD sentiment, they can embarrass much "better" cars on the track.
Onyx Firefox for example (possibly the ugliest of the breed) which is as cheap as chips and the 'concept' you're after.
http://www.davebence.co.uk/

Italo/FUORISERIE did some concept sketches around this layout which looked very good - if you can get find those and get some inspiration I think it would work very well.

If you can sort out the styling, especially with the height of current transverse twincams you'll have a winner.

There is a solution to the engine height problem BTW but it moves away from your cheap single donor idea, and requires a reverse fabricating Big hint linky

Nissan Micra is also probably worth a look, very small engine+gearbox that fits nicely in a mini subframe (with some mods) and would fit in the Biota.

[Edited on 25/4/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mr henderson

posted on 25/4/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Biota is the prettiest I've seen using this layout, and was a successful hillclimber in it's day, though they didn't sell many. A-series mini engine/gearbox it smuggled in the bonnet bulge.

Thing about the BLMC FWD cars is that the engines were on top of the gearbox. Modern FWD cars the engine is ahead of the gearbox, and the majority of the gearbox itself is ahead of the axle line. Big difference when, from a styling POV, every millimetre counts

John

iank

posted on 25/4/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

Thing about the BLMC FWD cars is that the engines were on top of the gearbox. Modern FWD cars the engine is ahead of the gearbox, and the majority of the gearbox itself is ahead of the axle line. Big difference when, from a styling POV, every millimetre counts

John

Just updated my post - FUORISERIE (Italo from Complete Kitcar) did some sketches around the onyx and jester which look good to my eye. I think it can be done, but I certainly agree most have failed horribly so far.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Phil.J

posted on 25/4/09 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid in my book the Biota was one of the ugliest car designs!
iank

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Found Fuoiserie's Jester inspired design, still looking to see if I can find the Firefox ones which IIRC were prettier.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but 200% better than the Jester IMO and shows the kind of challenges the layout brings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine005.jpg

Previous thread on this subject BTW
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=69554

[Edited on 25/4/09 by iank]

--
Anonymous

mr henderson

posted on 25/4/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Found Fuoiserie's Jester inspired design, still looking to see if I can find the Firefox ones which IIRC were prettier.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but 200% better than the Jester IMO and shows the kind of challenges the layout brings.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine004.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v419/ferg/Immagine005.jpg

What those show is the need, when using a FWD donor vehicle, is the need to go up. To raise the body in order to distract attention from the amout of car there needs to be ahead of the front axle.

One ends up with what would be better described as a buggy rather than a sports car, with consequent reduction in cornering speeds. But if that isn't a problem, then why not?

John

iank

posted on 25/4/09 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
One thing that would hugely increase the market for such a thing would be to make it, at least optionally, a 2+2. Loads of people with kids who would like a fun kitcar - even with 2 people it's would give loads of room for camping kit/shopping.

Even harder to make it look good though I suspect.

--
Anonymous

cymtriks

posted on 25/4/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thoughts on using a FWD drivetrain:

It's high at the front which forces a high bonnet line
It's difficult to change this
If you are going to make a body and chassis you may as well move it to the back and make a middy 2+2

But..

It is cheap and there are plenty of popular donor cars to choose from.

I wouldn't discount the Quantum styling. It is a bit 80's now but surely the styling is timeless enough for a small update to work well. Just changing the pop up lights to fixed ones (Fiat coupe ones might fit the styling well) would give it a step forwards. A modern Fiesta donor would probably fit. Remember that it sold well and was well regarded while more exotic looking machines didn't and weren't.

Beware of giving a car a too much of a "modern look". You will alienate a lot of people who aren't fussed by the latest styling craze and it will date quickly, there is a reason why manufacturers update their models every few years. You don't want to go there, molds cost a hell of lot and you need to sell a few just to break even.

Perhaps a good look at the Ferrari mondial is required, 2+2 and a transverse mid engine. But beware of the horrible mid engined Italian driving position with an accelerator that requires a permanently bent sideways leg to reach.

GRRR

posted on 25/4/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, some good responses to this.

One point brought up was the problem of tall struts, so you end up with the solution of picking nice short struts off another car e.g. MR2 or X1/9 struts and modding uprights to accept them if possible, or developing a double wishbone setup. both take away from the brief of a simple budget kit!

I like the 2+2 idea but it would be very hard to package that sort of layout and achieve a non ape-like driving position.

The benefit of the FWD kit, while driving the 'wrong' wheels means that hopefully the car will be easier to build as you don't have issues like radiators at the front, engine at the back, and reversing gear linkages etc (Mid engine layout), propshafts and diffs to mount (RWD layout) and loads more space inside to play with seating layout, stowed roofs and boot/space storage.

hmm a tricky one, will have to play with some designs.

mr henderson

posted on 25/4/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I worked on this idea for years. It's not so much that it is tricky to get an attractive design using a modern FWD donor, more like it's impossible.

The best you could possible end up with would be a version of an existing FWD production car, and what would be the point of that.

Amongst the problems are the need to use Macpherson struts, not because the donor comes with them (as they all do) but because the mechanical part (engine and gearbox) don't allow any other system to be used. There simply isn't room for a proper wishbone layout.

The use of the struts means that all the sprung weight of the car needs to be presented to the strut tops. This is possible with a pressed steel monocoque car, with a space frame it just cannot be done without ending up with a car that will not have any market appeal at all (in other words, both ugly and ridiculous).

John

MikeRJ

posted on 25/4/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I worked on this idea for years. It's not so much that it is tricky to get an attractive design using a modern FWD donor, more like it's impossible.

Are you suggesting there are no attractive FWD cars around?

mr henderson

posted on 25/4/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Are you suggesting there are no attractive FWD cars around?

I am suggesting that there are no attractive kit car space-framed FWD cars around (the subject of this thread), yes. Why, do you know of any?

John

seansverige

posted on 29/4/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Can't believe no-one's yet mentioned Honda: mainly FWD but also low bonnet line and wishbone suspension at front, seems to tick all the boxes. I think the current Civic has gone to struts but previous generations were wishbone, as are some of the other models in the current range.

Good looking front drive cars can be done but the high bonnet and scuttle make it more of a challenge. The Audi TT uses the same elements as the Golf & Beetle: not likely to be confused with each other.

Know what the Quantum looks like but not familiar with structural details and how much of donor car (Fiesta?) was used? I'll defer to Mr Henderson re: spaceframes with strut sus, but why not retain the existing structure from the forwards or more - what was Quantum's solution?

I would also observe that whilst the firefox and Jester, etc ARE tall, they're also short - exacerbating the matter: a coupe / 2+2 will by definition be longer and look lower.

Final point is that even if all those hurdles are cleared, if designing a pretty convertible was as easy as everyone seems to think it is, surely there'd be more around?...

Chris71

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRRR
Just toying with ideas, what do people think of a kit car concept based on taking an average cheap front wheel drive car, taking the FWD layout and sticking it into a spaceframe chassis with a pretty convertible body on it? Kind of like a Quantum 2+2 but actually looks nice and like it came from this decade

A touch harsh on the Quantum I think - it may be a tad conservative and a little dated, but it was probably one of the most complete and resolved kit cars to hit the market. They sold them by the bucket load in the mid '90s.

And a few years later I bought one.

(bias ...what bias?!)

MikeRJ

posted on 30/4/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I am suggesting that there are no attractive kit car space-framed FWD cars around (the subject of this thread), yes. Why, do you know of any?

John

I'm simply suggesting that if a production manufacturer can make a FWD car attractive, then it should not be impossible to make a kit that looks attractive. Very high performance, sweet handling FWD cars are available, so I don't think the engine location is going to have such a major influence on cornering speeds as you suggest.

You certainly don't have to use McPherson struts for starters, there are several production FWD cars that use double wishbones (almost all the older Hondas for instance) or even more complex multi-link systems.

How about the Pembleton, Blackjack Avion etc? They aren't ugly, though certainly they have classic styling. The Murtaya is 4WD, though could use a FWD transmission, the styling may not be everyones cup of tea, but I don't think it's ugly.

Minari Road Sport? A bit MX5-like, but still quite an attractive car.

seansverige

posted on 2/5/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies in advance for the long post - this thread has got me thinking and it's stirred up a little dust

I've been an intermittent observer of the kit car scene over more years than I care to remember, and the prospect of being situated in single location long enough means I might finally be able to take the plunge. As I get back into the scene I'm generally pretty disappointed to find how little things have changed in 10(ish) years. Admittedly I might feel different if I were a fan of exo (surely just skeletal?) but I'm not, and a BEC might be fun for about 30mins and annoying thereafter. The GTM Libra / Spyder still looks great, but where's it's successor? The Epona is looking good but I can't think of any other good looking kitcars inbetween: am I forgetting anything?

I've been doing some research on the 2+2 and it's forced me to re-evaluate. At the time I recall dismissing it out of hand - not least of all because the nose treatment called to mind the original Lotus Elan: a comparison it could never hope to live up to and worse, the apex seems a little high making it look like it's trousers are pulled up too high. I think it's significant that none of this seems to have been a barrier to success. The styling itself, though lacking that vital spark, is well executed technically - the surfaces are consistent, the transitions crisp, the shutlines are clean and look tight & consistent. That it's bland is by definition is unlikely to offend anyone - and this belies it's other strengths.

As far as I can determine, the 2+2 seems to be a 'transplant' kit: unbolt bits from donor A and attach to kit B - which I think the industry should be doing more of and would find a wider audience - and apparently makes maximum use, value and convenience of the single donor. Does it have to be a spaceframe? The 2+2 isn't, it's reinforced grp structure sounds intriguing and surely any potential longevity issues would be known by now so I assume it works well enough. Does anyone know how the 2+2 bonnet / scuttle height compares with the Fiesta? Did it retain the Fiesta's dash-to-axle ratio - this is the proportion you'd most want to change.

I don't know how I relate to the 'average' kitcar builder (should such a mythical creature exist) so I can only speak to what I'm looking for. I realise I may be in the wrong forum, but that sad truth is that I'm sh!te at actually making things - my welding is terrible and even if I measure 5 times I still cut wrong(ce); but taking things apart and re-assembling them in a new configuration is no problem. I know one end of the spanner from the other - biggest job thus far was an engine replacement (fire) +loom, + full hydraulics (it was a Citroen) +bodywork, etc. To me the idea of a kit that uses a single donor and transplants the oily bits (I know I'm oversimplifying here) is not only less intimidating - it's appealing. Maybe that makes me a lightweight, but isn't it guesstimated that 80% of kits are never finished - any measures that help improve that figure must be a good thing.

That the 2+2 is still going clearly demonstrates that the market for such vehicles continues to exist, and the more I think about this the more sense it makes and I wonder why Quantum itself hasn't developed a successor. I know the H4 was meant to be but evidently it failed - is this simply down to the styling? The 2+2 may be bland and the H4 is awkward, maybe even ugly. As regards the Coupe and Saloon - did this demonstrate that whilst there is a market for a semi-practical sports car as well as crazy fast rollerskates, an enclosed body just isn't 'special' enough?

Again as an observer, the fact that in 2009 there are kits still sold whose basis is a vehicle that is - BEST case - 20 years old (itself a warmed over version of a design that actually debuted in 1973) is something that, to put it politely, does nothing for the industry's credibility. And it's more than a credibility issue - surely Mk.2 Fiesta's (esp. XR2s) have crossed the line from being cheap to source to being difficult? Whilst true revolutions are rare, opting out of 20+ years of engineering evolution is not likely to improve the finished product. I'm not saying that old is bad and newer by definition is better but let's be real - we're talking about a decades old shopping trolley: what's wrong with using something newer, just as cheap and - yes - better?

When I start to think about potential donors the mind boggles: Fiestas, 206, 207, Corsa, Saxo, Focus, Clio, Punto, Golf, the aforementioned Civic, the list goes on; and it's not just fwd supermini's - there are plentiful donors of every configuration: for the 'wrong' wheel drive crew, why aren't there more E36 or even E46 3-series based kits - am I missing something here? I don't doubt that developing a new kit requires significant investment, but surely a BMW based kit would in part trade on the reputation of the donor? And whilst I wouldn't nominate a Punto convertible as a donor, from the kit car manfacturers perspective using it's glasshouse and roof assembly would save development effort and money. Digressing briefly - the requirement to dispose of a vehicle at the end of it's life and the concomitant focus on design for disassembly must be a good thing for the kit car industry in the longer term?

Couple of weeks ago had a spin in a new Corsa on a rough country road I know well and was gobsmacked at it's ride and handling - and as far as I know it's not the class leader in either regard. Both the current and previous generation Clios have a reputation for going well. Few weeks ago my brother picked up an Cat. D '07 Astra (wing, bumper, headlight), low miles at auction for £2800 for the mother-in-law - so how much for a 5(ish) year old Clio / Fiesta / Focus / Golf? When Mike Brewer built the MEV Rocket in Auto Express he said that Focus donor cost £800 - before he sold anything on: imagine a contemporary, Focus-based 2+2, which used everything but the panels?

The biggest flaw I can see is that - making a sweeping generalisation here - at one end of the kitcar spectrum you have the bolt on rebody kit (e.g. Veranti), which has minimum engineering content and maximum styling content and at the other you have something like the Locost itself, built from the ground up with maximum engineering content and minimum styling. As a single donor transplant, the 2+2 or similar sits towards the rebody end of the spectrum, so quality exterior design input is vital to success.

And as a kit manufacturer, which model would I develop? An 'exo' style car with relatively easy to develop space frame with low styling content and no doors, windows, shutlines etc. to contend with - or a 'proper' car with functioning doors, interior etc. which will be more costly to develop but could easily fail if the styling isn't up to scratch. The former would seem better bet - especially as the market seems yet to tire of 'exos' so unfortunately I don't have much hope of seeing a successor to the 2+2 anytime soon.

Krismc

posted on 3/5/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt reccomend the use of a new civic!!

I have the new type r and the top of engine is very very high in the chassis- you wouldnt be able to see over it.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.