Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gearchange system for Mondeo-based MEC?
mr henderson

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
gearchange system for Mondeo-based MEC?

The selector shaft on the MTX75 comes out of the back of the gearbox, IIRC. How would one set up a system whereby one could use the original gearlever in a mid-engined car?

Would it be feasible to run the cables across the back of the engine, up the right hand side of the car (so right hand gearchange) and use some kind of reversing bell-cranks to get the motion correct, so that the gearlever is in the conventional orientation?

All advice and opinions welcome

John

hughpinder

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm planning to use 2 sets of cables - the gear lever ones will go forwards and loop over the drivers legs/steering column and join to the second set of cables attached to the outer drivers side chassis rail ... but I have't actually done it yet!
This keeps the gear lever set up standard. Obviously I can use a piece of stud or rod of appropriate length to joint the 2 pairs of cables (I hope).
The gear lever mount plate is about 3.5 inches wide and you would have to do serious mods to fit it on the drivers side. by the time you've allowed for sidedto side motion. You would probably find it easier to set up some kind of sequential change mechanism since the 2 cables just need back/mid/fwd motion.
Regards
Hugh

[Edited on 5/5/09 by hughpinder]

hughpinder

posted on 6/5/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I thought you might get more replies on this - might change my design if anything good came up. Perhaps you should re-post in the 'engine and transmission' section?

Hugh

FEZ1025

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it's the same gearbox, but there is a kit out there that uses the Focus engine/gearbox, they use long cables coming out of the front of the change, round by the passenger feet & then round the back. Just can't remember it's name sorry, it was at Stoneleigh last weekend.

Alan...

dinosaurjuice

posted on 6/5/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
i had issues with gearshift on my rocket as although my gearbox is cable operated, its not as easy to re route as the IB5. im on Mk2 linkage now and all i can say is the simpler it is the better!

john,
can you post some pics of the gearbox in position? and maybe a guide as to which direction relates to which gear pair.

Will

mr henderson

posted on 6/5/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice

john,
can you post some pics of the gearbox in position? and maybe a guide as to which direction relates to which gear pair.

Will

I don't actually have an MTX75 in my possession yet, but will return to this topic when I do, which hopefully will be quite soon

John

nasty-bob

posted on 6/5/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem with my mid-engine installation. I've used two bell cranks and two cables. The bell cranks are arranged so that the cables attach at a low point and run under the engine and gearbox back to the gear lever. I can post pic etc if you wish.

It works really well and is adjustable to get it right

Rob

mr henderson

posted on 6/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nasty-bob
I can post pic etc if you wish.

Please do, I think DSJ would be interested too

sgraber

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if this helps, but what I've been doing with the GM Ecotec FWD package is routing the stock shifter cables underneath the oilpan near to the flywheel end and up to the rear firewall where the stock cable length terminates. I then use rod extensions up to the shifter assy which has the bellcrank for throw reversal at that point.

Here's a pic of what Jim did

[Edited on 5/6/09 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nasty-bob

posted on 7/5/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a couple of pics of my set up (gearbox end). Bit difficult to photo as most is hidden.

Hope this helps

Rob

mr henderson

posted on 7/5/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hope this helps

Rob

Yes, it does. Is that the earlier (rod change) Mondeo gearbox (ie Mark I mondeo)

robroy

posted on 7/5/09 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Guys.
Here's a few pics of my home made gear change system that may help.
I used a Ford Focus gear lever base and had the control cables lengthened (as it happens it would have been cheaper to get a set from Demon Tweaks!!). I connected it to my now mid-engined Lancia transaxle using its original shaft with one arm doing the sideways motion and t'other up and down as per pics.
Surprisingly it was very easy to adjust and set up and hasn't needed adjustment in 2 years and 1500 miles. Total cost was £150 (£140 for cables)

[Edited on 7/5/09 by robroy]

nasty-bob

posted on 7/5/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

Hope this helps

Rob

Yes, it does. Is that the earlier (rod change) Mondeo gearbox (ie Mark I mondeo)

Its the Audi 012 box

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.