Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First Complaint!
Marlon

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
First Complaint!

Well I think my neighbours are grumpy! I've had a complaint from a few doors down across the road complaining that i've been waking her on a morning with the revving of my windy. Ooops! To be honest I haven't taken it out at all before 8 but yes i do rev it a bit as i have quite a steep drive to get out of. I only think it's only been out 3-4 times so far this weekso do you guy's think she's got a point or just grumpy?

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

blakep82

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
no one likes being woken up unnecessarily, but if its after 8, doesn't she go to work or anything?!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
How big is your drive? Surely its up and out in a few seconds?

I used to know a guy who insisted on "warming the engine" by reving it for about 10 minutes. He didn;t have many friends down his road...

richardh

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
ah the green eyed monster has awoken!

tell her to p off
rev it like you stole it...............

Time for a change!

blakep82

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh

tell her to p off

i read that as "get her top off" instead of tell her to p off.
that might work too, or at least distract her for a while

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Benzine

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Take her out for a spin. Scare her so much that she'll be like Bishop Brennan after Father Ted kicks him up the arse

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I've a steep drive too. When I've had mine off it I just start it and let it warm for a few minutes then a quick blast up and off and keep it quiet. I just find that it's best not to upset the neighbours when I can. Pity some of them don't follow the same principles but their time will come.

Humbug

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
How big is your drive? Surely its up and out in a few seconds?

I used to know a guy who insisted on "warming the engine" by reving it for about 10 minutes. He didn;t have many friends down his road...

Sounds like the b/f of the girl across the road. Every time he arrives or leaves in his old Corsa (roundy shape Mk1) he feels the need to rev unnecessarily. This is on a flat road, mind. He's known in our houseas ("K)nobby"

speedyxjs

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I dont start working on my cars until 10 oclock in the morning and still get complaints
blakep82

posted on 29/5/09 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
i'm surprised i don't get any lol i've been out angry grinding til 1am before. also, one day when it was really hot outside 2 years ago, peopl ewere out in their gardens in the sun, i took the car on the drive to do some bodywork with all sorts of power tools. they went in soon after. still, no complaints though

Benzine

posted on 29/5/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
I dont start working on my cars until 10 oclock in the morning and still get complaints

drop a jag engine on their toes

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stuart_g

posted on 29/5/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardh

tell her to p off

I have to totally agree with that statement.

mr henderson

posted on 29/5/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I haven't heard your car from her house, so can't say whether the noise you are making is unreasonable or not.

I assume the anti-social remarks on this thread are being made in jest. If it was a neighbour of mine I would go and speak to her and show her that you respect her opinion on the subject, and explain that you will try to be more careful in the future.

That's all most people want, just to know that their feelings are respected.

John

MikeR

posted on 29/5/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I don't make noise after 8pm, don't make it before 10am. If its a really nice day i'll keep the garage door down when making noise ....

if i get on with my neighbours they won't hassle me.

What ever happened to being nice to each other? Can't believe some of the comments on here.

As for the driving the car thing - like Mr H, i haven't heard it but it doesn't sound that unreasonable. Perhaps a quiet chat. Also I believe you are allowed to make noise after 8am as a general rule.

Moorron

posted on 29/5/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I would just ignor it. Ive got a grumpy old couple about 50 metres from my front door who are really odd. The old bloke just stands on his drive and stares at me or my GF all the time even when we are just on our own drive. His wife stormed round one night in tears telling me to take my nitro RC buggy 'round my way' when i pointed out the house she is standing outside of is mine. She then threatened my with the police! it was like 5pm and i had only been out for 5 minutes and i understand its a noisey toy but all she had to do is ask me kindly!

Anyway i do tend to be as quite as possible in the morning at 7:45 but i failed the other day. I tried to start the kitcar up to go to work for the first time in ages so planned on just starting it and cruise up the road on tickover. Well the car didnt like this and stalled right outside the grumby couples house which is on an incline. It took me 3 attempts to start it and pull away so in the end it would have been better to just rev it up on the drive as it would have been quiter!

made me chuckle for a mile or 2.

[Edited on 29/5/09 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

blakep82

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
mike just so you know, i didn't do that stuff on the drive to annoy them, i was out enjoying the sun in my way i only thought about it after...

my streets full of noisy anti social people so we all get on

the guy right accross the road specifically. between the 5 of them they have 5 motorbikes. 4 of them noisy dirt bikes which the youngest rides up and down the road, which is fine. the dads a gardener and uses the hill on my front garden to load his lawn movers onto his pickup. don't think he ever asked, but thats fine
the guy next to him has a motorbike too. a quiet one though, actually, he's got 2. he never starts the other one though.

we all understand we make noise, so we all get along

[Edited on 29/5/09 by blakep82]

tommyab

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had one that was about 2pm on weekend. Had the grinder out for about 2mins and heard f*** this and f*** that from next door. My thoughts were, if they are going to act like that instead of speaking reasonably then they can go to hell! and i carried on.
BenB

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think you can only do your best to avoid annoying the neighbours. If they still get annoyed then screw 'em (not literally though in this case).... I tend to run my engine up to heat in the garage and then switch it off, push it outside, lock up the garage then restart and off we go (not reving about 2k until well out of the narrow alleyway my garage is off). Although I love the sound of 8+k of V4 bouncing off their windows I doubt they do
mr henderson

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
One of the reasons why people sometimes fail to ask nicely is that they have to work themsellves up to say anything at all.

Then, when the 'confrontation' actually happens they come across a lot nastier than the situation really warrants. But usually they are not really nasty people, but are just keyed up.

I tend not to worry too much about what I see as the rights or wrongs of the matter, but prefer not to have enemies and so go to some trouble to avoid annoying people, even if I think I am entitled to.

Actually noise is one of the commonest complaints people make against each other and it's not hard to understand why.

John

Danozeman

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

His wife stormed round one night in tears telling me to take my nitro RC buggy 'round my way' when i pointed out the house she is standing outside of is mine. She then threatened my with the police! it was like 5pm and i had only been out for 5 minutes and i understand its a noisey toy but all she had to do is ask me kindly!

Some of mine come out and want a go!!

I have a moody woman next door to me. If my cars running on the drive she comes and asks me to turn it off as she can here it in there house. The exhaust is on my house side and you cant here it in mine so i doubt you can really in theres.

Theres motorbikes in my road that go out at 6 in the morning and a bloke in a mini that goes out at 20 past 6 every morning that i use as my alarm clock so i dont give a toss what noise i make.

But yes try not to fall out with your neighbours. You never know when u might need them.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

matt.c

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbours are grumpy. (ask flak!) They even complain about the colour of my fence! Its wood colour!

Dont worry about it, they will get use to it!

Keith Weiland

posted on 29/5/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I would suggest if you are only revving it enough to get it out of the drive and no more then there is nothing you can do, if you can manage without revving it so much then do so, if not then don't worry about it.

Worst she could do is call the local authority who will have to investigate and they will come out, see you are just getting the car off the drive then leaving and tell her there is nothing they can do.

I think it is always best to do what you can within reason to get along with neighbors but if they are unreasonable then there is no reason for you to continue trying to appease them. They will complain no matter what you do.

Simon

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst I try not to make too much noise (even thinking about buying some of CBS's silencers (as car is prob ott), I do wonder about some peoples motives.

When I was flying model planes, I heard of one RC club that had received a complaint, and it turned out the moaner lived approx 17 miles away!

ATB

Simon

ashg

posted on 29/5/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
get in it and drive it. you will be gone before she can get round to moan.

next time she comes round to moan. say "i appriciate your concern but that is the noise the car makes". if she is still unhappy with it she could allways give you the money to buy a quiet exhaust system.

at the end of the day your car prob passed sva at that noise level so she hasnt really got a leg to stand on.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Richard Quinn

posted on 30/5/09 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately noise is a subjective and emotive issue with no real set limits. As with all public nuisance issues, if you produce a noise that interferes with someone's ability to enjoy their property then they have a right to complain. If they complain to the Local Authority then the EHO is required to investigate. If he/she upholds the complaint then you could be faced with a noise limit being set and enforced. In the absence of any sensible guidelines, these limits can often be ridiculously low. So those of you who had trouble meeting the 101 for SVA think about what it would be like having to reduce this to 85 or 80 because you upset your neighbours. Best to keep them on side if you can!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.