Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Moving 18Gb of data
lsdweb

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Moving 18Gb of data

Hi All

I need to copy / move my music collection (about 18gig) and trying to find the best and cheapest way of doing it – I could use an external drive but they all seem a bit too pricey for me!

Alternatively I guess I could use a few DVDs

Any thoughts?

Wyn

blakep82

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
have both devices (i assume pc to pc?) got ethernet? there is an ethernet cable (i think its called a crossover cable) that should connect both right up i think

http://www.computing.net/answers/networking/transferring-data-via-ethernet-cabl/33173.html

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
a couple of dvd-r's will do it though. but will take hours to write all that data

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Danozeman

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Take the hd out and put it the other machine as a slave and copy it over then put it back where it was sposed to be.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

BenB

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb

I could use an external drive but they all seem a bit too pricey for me!

£20 ?????

Sounds cheap to me And you can keep the HD as a back-up!!!

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with danozeman. DVD's can be flakey, and I'm guessing a coaster with 4bg of your music on, would make it a pretty bad bad.

If the machine the data is going to, or coming from then buy a cheap enclosure, they are cheap as chip but they can really help out in a fix!

tomprescott

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
blake's got it - ej45 cable, or a usb, or firewire - depends upon what you're transferring from - if its between two pc's should be fine with one of the cables. Also, it will depend how your music collection is stored (or was ripped) - from sonicstage or i-tunes may have copyright protection that will prevent the data from working properly after transferring it. Good luck
blakep82

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
blake's got it - ej45 cable, or a usb, or firewire - depends upon what you're transferring from - if its between two pc's should be fine with one of the cables. Also, it will depend how your music collection is stored (or was ripped) - from sonicstage or i-tunes may have copyright protection that will prevent the data from working properly after transferring it. Good luck

good to have confirmation there's plenty of other ways of doing it (as above) but i think the ethernet way is a lot less fannying about.

Flamez

posted on 1/6/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
Hi All

I need to copy / move my music collection (about 18gig) and trying to find the best and cheapest way of doing it – I could use an external drive but they all seem a bit too pricey for me!

Alternatively I guess I could use a few DVDs

Any thoughts?

Wyn

shame on you [lol] £25

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80gb-External-USB2-2-5-Pocket-Size-Hard-Drive_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1690Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a130 8Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a1a6a67aQQitemZ230345320058QQptZUKQ5fComputingQ5fHardDrivesQ5fRLQQsalenotsuppor ted

I'm just waiting for the tax disc now. When Mac has returned my power commander discs, do you fancy helping me reinstate the original programme back on?

Is the chassis home yet?

How is the citroen doing?

my build mac1motorsports

Nosey

posted on 1/6/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Every time I hear topics like this I can't help thinking of what I heard about Apollo 11 landing on the moon. The onboard computer on Eagle had 64k of memory. And you need to move 18gigs of music. How mad is that?
Keith Weiland

posted on 1/6/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
I think the first questions should be where are you moving it from and where are you moving it to? Do you have a home network? Are both computer connected to it? You may be able to simply use your current network to do it but aren't aware of how it is done.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 1/6/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a home network and it sits on an network drive so i can access it from my media centre PC and other PCs. I want to be able to move it without disconnecting the network drive.

I didn't realise those drives were so cheap - I'd been looking at UK suppliers only!

And as for the Apollo landing, most of my music is probably from that era! :-)

charliemuir

posted on 16/7/09 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
can get 16GB flash stick for £15 now and can use that as many times as you want - my prefered option for sure
britishtrident

posted on 19/7/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
18gb is a not lot these days --- it could be fitted on three 8GB SD cards.

I just rescued 175gb of data for customer using an external USB drive --- only about 75kb was word document files the rest was all music and vids.

[Edited on 19/7/09 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.