Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: more intake manifold questions from me
blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
more intake manifold questions from me

i asked questions about my manifold before, and it was decided it would not be ideal, which is fine, it'll will need redoing again anyway, that can wait til another time if it at least 'works'

it went from this

with all straight tubes.

i needed bent tubes, but could not get the same size, they had to be slightly bigger I.D.
i cut down the original tubes to about 3/4" long, and sort of sleeved them with the bent tubes

sorry about the slightly dubious angle of this photo...

there is a slight gap of about 2mm or so between the original tubes and the new ones. not ideal i know

the original tubes were welded and then i put some epoxy resin round the join to make sure they were gas tight.

i was sort of redoing it to make a template so i could send it to someone who could do it again properly, so kind of stuck the new tubes with epoxy resin and didn't weld them. but will it work well enough to test, as i'd like to have the engine running this weekend. i don't really want it breaking apart or anything

once i'm happy that they're alright i can get it redone with the correct diameter tube etc.

what do you think, bad idea trying to use them with just expoxy resin holding it all together? not a permanant solution remember

[Edited on 3/6/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
anyone?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

C10CoryM

posted on 4/6/09 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Well, it's your intake. You tell us if it will work
An intake NEEDS to do a few things:
-get fuel (air/gas) into the head
-not have vacuum leaks
-support the weight of throttlebody or carbs

If you think yours will do that for long enough to make you happy, then go for it.

Obviously when you are talking about a good intake VS a bad intake, there is a longer list of criteria.
Cheers,
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 4/6/09 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
Well, it's your intake. You tell us if it will work
An intake NEEDS to do a few things:
-get fuel (air/gas) into the head
-not have vacuum leaks
-support the weight of throttlebody or carbs

If you think yours will do that for long enough to make you happy, then go for it.

Obviously when you are talking about a good intake VS a bad intake, there is a longer list of criteria.
Cheers,
Cory

I concur

Roman

posted on 4/6/09 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Slightly o/t - where did you get the bent tube from as I am on the look out for some?
blakep82

posted on 4/6/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
lol makes sense guys i guess the real question i mean to ask is, is expoxy resin good enough for this kind of thing or will i find it start to break up and get inside my engine?

tube came from merlin motorsport (www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk), they're exhaust bends

Roman

posted on 4/6/09 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers, unfortunately they are Jetex parts and I am looking for 1 5/8" and they don't go that small.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.