Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto valve stem seal replacement
po79

posted on 9/6/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto valve stem seal replacement

Hi guys,

My pinto engine has started to smoke on start up and I think its the valve stem seals as I've had this on a few of these engines in the past.

Someone mentioned the other day to me that they've seen or heard of a tool that allows the cylinder head to be left on and goes into the spark plus hole to hold up the valve whist compressing the valve spring so you can remove the spring, replace the valve stem seals and put it back together again.

Any ideas where I might get one of these tools or do you think its a home made tools?

Anyone ever bought one or made one?

thanks,

Po79.

g.gilo

posted on 9/6/09 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
pinto

used to be standard ford service tools when pintos were in there hayday, find a ford or ex ford tech hes bound to have them.
jollygreengiant

posted on 9/6/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I did them in situ, was when I changed the cam shaft. All I did was to make sure that the relevant piston was at TDC. Valves drop a fraction, but not enough to be a problem. Then all I needed was the tool to compress the valve springs.

Something like this Linky

hope this helps

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

flak monkey

posted on 9/6/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Last time I did them in situ, was when I changed the cam shaft. All I did was to make sure that the relevant piston was at TDC. Valves drop a fraction, but not enough to be a problem. Then all I needed was the tool to compress the valve springs.

Something like this Linky

hope this helps

This method works like a charm....

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

SteveWalker

posted on 9/6/09 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at http://nw.rhocar.org/seals.htm

SteveW

rusty nuts

posted on 9/6/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Might be worth putting your location in your profile , you never know someone in your area may be able to help with the tool? If your any where near Cambridge I may be able to help
MautoK

posted on 9/6/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I did this a few months back. Made a tool to compress the valve springs; and stuffed nylon rope into each cylinder in turn then raising the piston to hold the valves closed.
No problems, but usual fiddles with collets.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

po79

posted on 20/6/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,

I've tried to post a reply (twice) to thank you all the other day but it hasn't been posted.

Anyway I've been in hospital for a few days but as soon as I recover from my op I'll have a go that the seals and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Po79.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.