Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Plumbing Q. Sink into guttering soak-away ok?
James

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Plumbing Q. Sink into guttering soak-away ok?

A neighbour has had this installed today:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/Dodgy%20Plumbing.jpg

It would appear to be a sink outlet. And it appears to be going into the guttering downpipe. I'm pretty damn sure the guttering goes to a soak away rather than a sewer.

Is this ok? I would have thought not and was against building regs?

Obviously I've not particularly noticed this because I can't stand this neighbour and had a falling out with him after I saw him hit another car in the street with his awful Transit and then deny it was him.

Cheers,
James

EDIT: apologies for size and poor quality of image! But I think it shows my point. If not I'll go on another espionage trip and get another clearer one!

[Edited on 26/6/09 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

blakep82

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
er, i'd say a pretty much definite n, that ain't right

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Guinness

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Erm, nope, nyet, nein, non.

need4speed

If the downpipe is going to a soakaway then i'd say it not right, but some downpipes do go to the sewer.

Local building control may welcome a call, I think they are short of work at present

Dave

miikae

I just hope they havnt fitted a loo with a macerator,

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.s

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
no it's far from right , it wants connecting to foul waste, which will probably cost him a few quid if there are no services close by ... foul waste going into a soak away is not good for anyone, how do you know its going to a soak away james???

[Edited on 26/6/09 by mark.s]

lsdweb

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of older houses had combined rain and foul drains so you may find that, whilst it's not plumbed correctly, the foul waste is actually going to foul drains.

oldtimer

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it all depends on the system. My place has guttering downpipes entering the sewerage so in that case it really wouldn't matter. If it has two separate systems then it should enter the foul system not the run-off system. Sorry if my terminology is non industry standard.
Confused but excited.

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
no it's far from right , it wants connecting to fowl waste, which will probably cost him a few quid if there are no services close by ... fowl waster going into a soak away is not good for anyone, how do you know its going to a soak away james???

Building control may also want to know he keeps chickens.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

JoelP

posted on 26/6/09 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
start with a call to the water board, they will know if it is a combined system or not. In my area it all goes the same way.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mark.s

posted on 26/6/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:
Originally posted by mark.s
no it's far from right , it wants connecting to fowl waste, which will probably cost him a few quid if there are no services close by ... fowl waster going into a soak away is not good for anyone, how do you know its going to a soak away james???

Building control may also want to know he keeps chickens. [/quote

.. crap at spelling me

Liam

posted on 26/6/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Presumably, being neighbours, your house is of the same construction. If you can access your drain, you could chuck a bucket in the gutter (or point a hose up ont the roof etc etc) and see if it makes its way to the drain. If not you've confirmed it's a soakaway.

Then rat him out.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 26/6/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
what about the build up of fat in the downpipe. Where does you sink run into??

My house has sewer, waste and soakaway 1920's property. you cant mix and match the different wastes.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Guinness

posted on 27/6/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
Even if you have a combined foul and rainwater system, you still can't chuck foul water down a rain water pipe.

Foul can go into a soil stack, or straight into the gulley at ground level.

I'd get the LA Building Inspector round, especially if you don't like the bloke.

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.