Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polishing out scratches
Blackbird Rush

posted on 4/7/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Polishing out scratches

Got some scratches on the tintop that i want to buff out, some light but a few that might need more attention, caught some branches down a narrow lane

Was going to give it a go with t cut or some rubbing compound, i don't think the scratches go through the lacquer.

A dent repair chap was doing some work to one of our company cars a while back and i got him to buff out a deep scratch on the wheel arch whilst he was there, a quick buff with his polishing mop and it was gone

Not sure what he used but any recommendations on a good product to use would be cool, i don't have a mop so will be using a bit of elbow grease

eccsmk

posted on 4/7/09 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
i would guess your best to use g3 followed by g10 (?)

i use menzerna polishes and they are very good by hand.

it might be worth doing a quick search on
detailingworld

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 4/7/09 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eccsmk
i would guess your best to use g3 followed by g10 (?)

i use menzerna polishes and they are very good by hand.

it might be worth doing a quick search on
detailingworld

agree detailing world is the bee's knee's when it comes to car cleaning!

DarrenW

posted on 6/7/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ive removed scratches succesfully before using G3 and G10. If a bit deeper you could try 2000 w&d first as well. G3 should get most scratches out with a decent mop. Surface will become matt, but brought back to nice shine with the G10. Finish off with a decent polish.

wax-it

posted on 6/7/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
ag srp.

wont get rid of all the scratch but will remove some and fill some too!

srp worked by hand takes a bit of time thou.

other one is to buy a cheap DA and a few pads.

(u2u if you want links to them)

Blackbird Rush

posted on 12/7/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the tips, where is the best place to buy G3 & G10?
Ninehigh

posted on 12/7/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
And here was me ready to say "You can't polish out scratches I've been doing it for 2 months now"

So what's all this g3 and g10 and wd200 stuff?

DarrenW

posted on 15/7/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
G3 and G10 is made by Ferecla. Most bodyshops in towns will sell it. Probs also motor factors that sell paints (trade type places rather than motorworlds etc). You should be able to get a plastic bottle of each for about £8 a bottle. Worth getting a couple of sheets of 2000 W&D paper too while you are there just in case a scratch is a touch deeper.

G3 and G10 is best used with power mop, you can get a Ferecla pad too which are great. However you can do it by hand on smaller scratches if you have the patience.

G3 will make the surface look matt, its scary at first but the shine will come back with the G10. Follow this with a good quality polish. Depending on colour and age of car you may be left with a patch that looks fantastic, resulting in you doing the whole car with the G10 You have been warned, detailing cars is very addictive and time consuming.

As with all compounds, take care you dont burn through on edges or go through the lacquer, safe ish if they havent been cut back before. Plenty of water and hose down the drive during and afterwards, the mop isnt shy about sharing its spray with anything close by as you need to use them with water.

ETA - 2000 W&D means 2000 grade wet and dry sandpaper. Most people think 1200 was the finest but this can be too coarse for light scratches, ive used 2000 grade with good effect (also on gel coat finish - nose cone). Try the G3 first, 2000 if that doesnt shift them. Use the 2000 wet (with a drop of auto shampoo in water as a lube) and let the paper do the work rather than pressing on too hard - steady away, no prizes for causing a bigger mess

Ive just done the bonnet on my Audi with lehm clay, HD cleanse and carnauba wax - boy was that labour intensive (Zymol stuff). Got the rest of the car to do now

[Edited on 15/7/09 by DarrenW]

Ninehigh

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I've found a couple of spots that have gone down to the metal and rusted a bit, does the above still apply after sanding the rust off and repainting or is that a different thing altogether?

Liam

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Ive just done the bonnet on my Audi with lehm clay

Out of interest, what exactly is this 'claying' a car malarky? Remember reading about it on detailing world when I read that thread about that serious, serious OCD case spending months and god knows how many thousands cleaning a brand new astra.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I've found a couple of spots that have gone down to the metal and rusted a bit, does the above still apply after sanding the rust off and repainting or is that a different thing altogether?

Also - how does it apply to lacquer over base coat (i.e. metalic paint tintop)? When you G3, G10, etc your scratches, presumably you are going through the lacquer? So do you then need to re-lacquer afterwards, wait for that to dry, then cut and polish the lacquer?

Cheers,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 17/7/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that's a good point, but then laquer is pretty much spray on isn't it? I guess you have to sand it slightly to the perfectly flat finish..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.