Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting over PVA
UncleFista

posted on 17/7/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Painting over PVA

The cowboy who plastered my bathroom seems to have used PVA to seal the new plaster.
Since being painted (with emulsion) it cracked and flaked a bit in the corners. Today I thought I'd hoover the worst of it off and touch-up, unfortunately, where the hoover nozzle touched, it sucked all the paint off the walls/ceiling !

Looks like I'll have to decorate again, at least the paint stripping will be easy

What can I do to stop it peeling again ? Some type of barrier coat, sand the walls (please no !) any suggestions gratefully received

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

tegwin

posted on 17/7/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Um.... stick some lining paper to the walls...then paint it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

twybrow

posted on 17/7/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but PVA is water soluble, so just wash all the walls really well with a mildly soapy solution. Once done, do a small test area before painting everything. We had a similar problem in out bathroom- pain started peeling in the middle of the wall. the soltuion - we bought a bigger mirror!
Ray

posted on 17/7/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi you need to seal the plaster with PVA to seal it. also mix some up in your emulsion when putting it on works a treat

cheers Ray

UncleFista

posted on 17/7/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ray
Hi you need to seal the plaster with PVA to seal it. also mix some up in your emulsion when putting it on works a treat

cheers Ray

I've always sealed new plaster with watered down emulsion and I've never had any problems before.
It's possible to feel the PVA on the plaster, maybe he used too thich a mix, and it wasn't absorbed ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

thunderace

posted on 17/7/09 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
you paint the wall with 1/10 pva then plaster the wall (pva it to help the plaster bond to the wall)
the plaster it may bleach through (the pva)mix more pva 1part pva to 10 parts water then paint the wall it will dry in clear and the flake pva will wash in then paint the wall problem solved easy.

you cold just wash the walls it water based .

andy o

posted on 17/7/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
what he said ^^^
Litemoth

posted on 17/7/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
The not-so-great plasterer may have 'polished' the wall. That means he's left a shiny keyless finish on the wall that causes peeling. It's a common problem if you're painting as it's only meant for papering onto.

Get some fine sandpaper or that 3M plastic sandy cloth stuff and quickly rub the walls to key the surface - its a fairly painless procedure and will cure the problem. PVA on top of plaster in bathrooms isn't a great idea as it's broken down by water.
Try 'kitchen & bathroom' paints as they're better suited to wet environments.

ibakes

posted on 17/7/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I can plaster and have done quite a few jobs, the most common problem I have heard from people is that they have never been told how to paint on to fresh plaster.

Fresh plaster will dry the paint out too fast and cause it to flake off.

PVA is water soluble and can be painted over without any problem

You need to water down the first few coats of emulsion, start with a rough 50/50 mix, this will help to seal the wall and stop later coats of emulsion drying out too fast.

keep making the mix stronger the more coats you put on to get the colour you need

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.