New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pumps: I'm confused.com
Jasongray5

posted on 21/7/09 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pumps: I'm confused.com

Fuel pump confusion...

Right, Im going for ms 1.8 zetec on r6 tb's

Is it better to have a hp pump near the tank with an integrated swirl pot

Or is it better to have a cheapo facet pump, feeding a swirl pot in the engine bay. Which then feeds the HP pump which feeds the throttle boddies?/??

CHeers guys

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

C10CoryM

posted on 22/7/09 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Either way works but there are some things to keep in mind:

-hp external pumps do not suck well, they need to be gravity fed (pump lower than bottom of tank)
-hp external pumps can either be very expensive or have reliabilty issues
-external pumps can be very noisy
-swirl pots (surge tank right?) add complexity/cost and feeding them with cheapo facet pumps may be likely to leave on the side of the road.

I would opt for either a quality external inline pump properly fed by a sumped tank, or an in-tank pump with fuel bucket. I have gone with the in-tank personally.

Most car manuf are using in-tank pumps for a few reasons:
-cheaper. Pumps are cheaper and tanks are simpler.
-pumps last longer as they are always immersed in fuel for cooling
-quieter
-no fuel starvation problems

I got a used OEM fuel pump module (free), cut it down to just the bucket and jet pump (see attached photo), installed an aftermarket walbro fuel pump, and clamped the assembly to a baffle in my tank. The fuel return line dumps into the bucket, and the jet pump is always pumping fresh fuel into the bucket. I *should* never have fuel starvation until the tank is totally empty. Wiring is done via a "liquid tight cord grip connector" which lets me run 2 wires into the cell with no leaks. Excluding the fuel cell, total cost was about $150usd which will feed up to 600bhp.

Cheers,
Cory Rescued attachment SC6FP.jpg
Rescued attachment SC6FP.jpg

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nitrogeno25

posted on 11/4/11 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
Either way works but there are some things to keep in mind:

-hp external pumps do not suck well, they need to be gravity fed (pump lower than bottom of tank)
-hp external pumps can either be very expensive or have reliabilty issues
-external pumps can be very noisy
-swirl pots (surge tank right?) add complexity/cost and feeding them with cheapo facet pumps may be likely to leave on the side of the road.

I would opt for either a quality external inline pump properly fed by a sumped tank, or an in-tank pump with fuel bucket. I have gone with the in-tank personally.

Most car manuf are using in-tank pumps for a few reasons:
-cheaper. Pumps are cheaper and tanks are simpler.
-pumps last longer as they are always immersed in fuel for cooling
-quieter
-no fuel starvation problems

I got a used OEM fuel pump module (free), cut it down to just the bucket and jet pump (see attached photo), installed an aftermarket walbro fuel pump, and clamped the assembly to a baffle in my tank. The fuel return line dumps into the bucket, and the jet pump is always pumping fresh fuel into the bucket. I *should* never have fuel starvation until the tank is totally empty. Wiring is done via a "liquid tight cord grip connector" which lets me run 2 wires into the cell with no leaks. Excluding the fuel cell, total cost was about $150usd which will feed up to 600bhp.

Cheers,
Cory Rescued attachment SC6FP.jpg
Rescued attachment SC6FP.jpg

It looks very smart doing it this way. Which pump module can be used that can be adjusted to the height of the tank?

hughpinder

posted on 11/4/11 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC that set up is used in landrovers/rangerovers and MGF cars. Probably in several others too.

Regards
Hugh

locobladeracer

posted on 14/4/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you intend on using the car for track days or very fast road driving, you only have two choices.

1, In tank pump HP pump

2, External Hp with swirl pot and LP pump feeding it.

If you run an internal HP pump check all the rubber hoses as if the pressure side splits it will not run properly.

One note on LP facet fuel pump's, If they are mounted correctly and they are not run dry for prolonged periods of time they do not go wrong. I have used Red and Silver tops for many years and only ever seen one go wrong, on a freinds MGBGT race car that had been sat for a year with no fuel in it. 20 Mins got it fixed with no cost appart from a new filter.

Matt

PS I run LP pump, swirl pot and an HP pump. LP pump mounted at the rear with the tank. HP pump and swirl pot at the front.

[Edited on 14/4/11 by locobladeracer]

coozer

posted on 14/4/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
I will be building a new tank for my Jago and thinking about an intank pump. Are they cheap enough, easy to wire up and reliable?

I have a HP pump down under the MNR tank and it works ok but is very noisy, no bother when driving but really noisy when sitting ticking over.

is this a good way to do it?

RANGE ROVER'CLASSIC' V8 IN-TANK FUEL PUMP`93 ON | eBay UK

[Edited on 14/4/11 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.