Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: space frame
Volvorsport

posted on 5/9/09 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
youll much better off building the chassis out of prefab honeycomb sheet and bonding that into the mini shell .

even if your incompetent at GRP , it will still be easy to bond it in with a few pointers , with local strengthening of attatchment points .

youve not said if you can actually weld aluminium , so id have to advise no .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

philipcurtis100

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
If you want to go ahead and use ally thats fine. I cannot see anyone chipping in on a project that might go horribly wrong and come back on them!

im not going to "come back on them" its only a bit of fun a learning thing about cars making one from scratch i want it out of ali dont care if it breaks it will b my fault dont care if its an expensive way of learning

philipcurtis100

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
youll much better off building the chassis out of prefab honeycomb sheet and bonding that into the mini shell .

even if your incompetent at GRP , it will still be easy to bond it in with a few pointers , with local strengthening of attatchment points .

i can weld ali

rusty nuts

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
You can lead a horse to water springs to mind
Mark Allanson

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philipcurtis100
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport

i can weld ali

If you are really serious about making a spaceframe out of aluminium you will need to make cast knuckles for every joint and bond extrusions into the joint in the knuckles. Try googling audi aluminium spacframes for a clearer explanation.

Personally I think this is Steve Gusterson doing a windup!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Liam

posted on 7/9/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philipcurtis100it would be tuff they shouldnt get in the way
it prob wont be finnished i get bored easily
i have been told by collegues that ali is what i should make it out of
we make ali castings for automotive firms (aston martins, jags, metc, bmw, ford,etc)
so i think ali is perfect

quote:
Originally posted by philipcurtis100its only a bit of fun a learning thing about cars making one from scratch i want it out of ali dont care if it breaks it will b my fault dont care if its an expensive way of learning

With respect, if that's your attitude and committment towards taking on a project like this, your standard of knowledge gathering prior to making important decisions like material choice, and your response to advice from some very experienced and knowledgable people, I'd suggest you dont even start the build in the first place.

If the only 'advice' you want to hear is enthusiastic agreement with whatever you've already decided to do anyway, perhaps try out your proposal on a forum for, say, baking, or photography, or generally something completely unrelated to what you're doing. That will minimise the risk of encountering people with relevant knowledge who might feel compelled to give you proper advice.

Liam

[Edited on 7/9/09 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
philipcurtis100

posted on 7/9/09 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
ok lets say i was to make it out of steel what steel would i use
what size of tube

Staple balls

posted on 7/9/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
How long is a piece of string?

All depends what you're making, for a sevenesque car, mostly 1" box section works pretty well (read the books, websites and look at cymtriks' work)

Course, if you're not building something sevenesque, 1" box might not be suitable, and you could be better off with different tubing.

hughpinder

posted on 8/9/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I have made horse boxes etc from both steel and aluminium section. I found many more failures in the aluminum, with cracking occuring in the material next to the welds, so I stopped using it, even though it saved time in painting and some weight, and generally looked better(it was a good selling point). I think that is the main reason here about not using aluminium for a chassis is to do with the dangers of material fatigue failure. Its also much easier to get a 'good enough' weld in steel.
If you want to do a space frame for a CF/fibregalss mini, have a look at www.kimini.com- (by kb58 one of the contributors on this thread) which will give you loads of information precisely that design.

Hope that helps
Hugh

philipcurtis100

posted on 8/9/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
I have made horse boxes etc from both steel and aluminium section. I found many more failures in the aluminum, with cracking occuring in the material next to the welds, so I stopped using it, even though it saved time in painting and some weight, and generally looked better(it was a good selling point). I think that is the main reason here about not using aluminium for a chassis is to do with the dangers of material fatigue failure. Its also much easier to get a 'good enough' weld in steel.
If you want to do a space frame for a CF/fibregalss mini, have a look at www.kimini.com- (by kb58 one of the contributors on this thread) which will give you loads of information precisely that design.

Hope that helps
Hugh

thanks

i have looked on that website it looks ace
looks like he did an exelent job shame iv prob annoyed him lol

kb58

posted on 9/9/09 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
No, I've gone through this with other builders who know better with their "outside the box" engineering. I guess I'm getting better at handling this sort of thing... pulling the plug before getting irritated.

[Edited on 9/9/09 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.