Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: xflow parts shopping list
thefreak

posted on 17/9/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
xflow parts shopping list

Ok, so I'm in the process of stripping a spare engine I've got in the conservatory (at the girlfriends suggestion!!)
It's a 691M block and I've whipped the head off. The pistons are a bit grubby so I was thinking while it's apart, I may as well replace whatever I can and make it all nice and shiney again.

So what I'm after is a basic shopping list to go off to BurtonPower with, slap down on the counter and say I'll have all of this please.

Also, is it worth fettling with it in any way while its in pieces? I dont want to go mad as it's the first proper strip and rebuild I've done but if there's a better than standard part for not a lot more, I may as well drop that in instead sort of thinking.

All suggestions, links and ideas welcome.

AndyGT

posted on 17/9/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
easy, and cheap, would be to scrap your pistons and use 1300 pistons to higher the compression. use a tubular manifold on the car and maybe port the head a bit. Kents always respond well to higher lift cams...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 17/9/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
agreed - also, the 691 block isn't the best, so if you can get your hands on a 711m whilst you've got everything stripped you might as well.

(i can't remember the difference now but its on the forum if you do a search)

Issue with the kent is you can rebuild it or fit a zetec for similar money so be careful what you spend.

200mph

posted on 17/9/09 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have a large valve + ported head, 1700 711M block and oodles of other things if needed, albeit they are mainly 1300 based.

Cheers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

thefreak

posted on 17/9/09 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
As I said it's my first proper tinker so wasn't after massive power increases or that sort of thing, just want it running nicely so if the better parts are a similar prices I'd stick them in. More after a good understanding of the injun first, then when I've had it on the road for a bit and got used to it, I'll be looking at different lumps
rallyingden

posted on 17/9/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
New timing chain & tensioner would be on my shopping list. Noisy blighters.

RD

Marcus

posted on 17/9/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
As above really, timing chain and tensioner, pref. duplex. 1300 pistons, new water pump, new oil pump, Cam and followers (Piper 270 or 285), steel rocker shaft and posts, steel crankshaft pulley....I could go on, and at this stage you'd prob. go for a Zetec. I wouldn't 'cos I like retro, so crossflow all the way for me. I've bought all the above and spent nearly 750 quid so far (easy zetec money) and I'm only expecting 120bhp with bike carbs / megajolt.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 17/9/09 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to pick up a new old stock Kent cam kit from ebay for £40 or so , as cheap as a new set of followers. As said a set of 1300 pistons will help for no more money than a set of 1600s, it will need a rebore anyhow
norfolkluego

posted on 17/9/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure slapping down a shopping list at Burton and cheap go in the same sentence. Don't get me wrong Burton are superb but they're not Poundland (thank God).

Getting rid of my crossflow in a couple of weeks if you're interested

thefreak

posted on 17/9/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
lol 2 engines is acceptable. friends might start complaining if the room they're sleeping in is covered in bits
thefreak

posted on 21/9/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyGT
easy, and cheap, would be to scrap your pistons and use 1300 pistons to higher the compression. use a tubular manifold on the car and maybe port the head a bit. Kents always respond well to higher lift cams...

So what else is needed if I get a set of 1300 pistons?

Nash

posted on 21/9/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have the 1300 x-flow with A3 cam and +90 pistons

x-flow piston close up
x-flow piston close up

x-flow valve seats 2
x-flow valve seats 2

Head is polished and the hardened seats fitted to run unleaded.

Engine runs well.

.........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.