Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what must be in it?
JoelP

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
what must be in it?

i just made a curry with two scotch bonnets in my half, and its hot but just edible. I had one from the curry house last week that was miles hotter, totally inedible. My lips swelled up! So what the hell must they put in that one? Distilled insanity sauce?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

wilkingj

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Scotch Bonnets are NOT the hottest chilli about.
Also include ALL the seeds for extra heat.
They also use a lot of ginger as well.

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Scotch Bonnets are quite hot but the tiny ones are killers. I buy chillies mail order from a farm in Dorset. They do a mixed bag of new varieties that they are trying and they are, shall we say, variable. I picked one out that was a centimetre long and used half of in in a salsa recipe for 4 people. A single spoonful of it was too hot to bear. THAT was a mad chilli.

Dusty

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know but I was out with wife and eldest daughter a couple of years ago at Cafe India in Plymouth. Happily troughing my way through a moderate curry when I bit into something that released a pint of concentrated sulphuric acid into my mouth and sucked all the oxygen out of the room at the same time. Family thought I had a stroke. Ended up on the floor, turned blue and the owner called an ambulance. Recovery began after ten minutes and they managed to get me into a chair. After a few more minutes I was able to talk again and send the ambulance away having reassured everyone I was OK. Don't know what it was but I haven't dared show my face there since! Prefer a chinese these days!
JoelP

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
thats awesome dusty!

Smart, i read about that farm in dorset. Hottest chilli in the world apparently, pepper spray is only 5 times hotter! Scotch bonnets are meant to be be about a 5th to a 3rd the heat.

Must say it proved to be a bit of a grower that one just now, nearly did me in.

The one i had in the resturant though, the bloody chef came out to watch me eat it! Bastard was smirking...

Keith Weiland

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Naga Morich are one of the hottest and tescos carries them. they are far hotter than scotch bonnets. A lot of restaurants don't use fresh chillies, they use powder which is easier to control.

If you want to make some of the best curries you have ever had then check out the forums here

I use what they call the Midlands Melting Base gravy and the recipes for it.

They have some good videos on the technique to produce restaurant style curries.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
this is the link i read about the place in dorset, is this the one smart51?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article700700.ece

Guinness

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Joel

Get yourself up to Newcastle and go to the Rupali. http://www.curryhell.com/

If you can eat their Curry Hell, you get it for free! (Was featured on Chris Evans show a while back).

Mike

JoelP

posted on 4/10/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Joel

Get yourself up to Newcastle and go to the Rupali. http://www.curryhell.com/

If you can eat their Curry Hell, you get it for free! (Was featured on Chris Evans show a while back).

Mike

awesome! But, i know what an inedible curry does to you And i can imagine how hot they would make it if they dont want to lose money!

actually i should take my friend danny up for one of those, see who can eat most since i doubt either of us could finish it!

[Edited on 4/10/09 by JoelP]

iank

posted on 4/10/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Used to eat "suicides" when I was at university at a place in victoria park. And Phal's when on the curry mile in Rusholme.

Tend not to go much past a Madras these days - must be getting old.

May look up Rupali since it's local to me now

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 4/10/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Im puzzled. If you put Scotch Bonnets in your half, what did you put in your wifes half? Do they not mix together in the pan?

A few years ago a mate of mine had a phal in Blackpool. He was ill after it. Is that good? I like spicy that you can taste and enjoy.

iank

posted on 4/10/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of places have a phal on the menu mainly for the drunks who come in give loads of abuse to the waiters and then demand the 'hottest curry you've got'. Who knows what they put in them as it's mainly a dish for legalised revenge.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 4/10/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
A lot of places have a phal on the menu mainly for the drunks who come in give loads of abuse to the waiters and then demand the 'hottest curry you've got'. Who knows what they put in them as it's mainly a dish for legalised revenge.

My mate gave the waiter some grief (not bad but enough to warrant a lesson!!!!)

SteveWalker

posted on 5/10/09 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Take a look at the Scoville Heat Scale (Chiili World)

Scotch bonnets score between 100,000 and 325,000 SHCs and the Dorset Naga scores 923,000, while the Naga-Bih Jolokia pepper scores 1,001,304.

You can also buy pure capsaicin, which scores 16,000,000 !!!!

Anyone got a spare crate of lager?

Staple balls

posted on 5/10/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
You can also buy pure capsaicin, which scores 16,000,000 !!!!

You can't usually buy it sadly, it's more chemical weapon than food

MikeRJ

posted on 5/10/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
A few years ago a mate of mine had a phal in Blackpool. He was ill after it. Is that good? I like spicy that you can taste and enjoy.

Agreed, hot and spicy is great up to a limit; I don't really enjoy food that it painful to eat and attacks my internal organs

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.