Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Button A Good But Not A Great Driver?
orton1966

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Button A Good But Not A Great Driver?

I know this will sound a bit “knocking” and anti-Brit but I found it hard to celebrate Buttons championship win, in truth I would have been happier with Vettel or possibly Barrichello taking the crown. Why, because I just don’t think he was the best driver on this years grid, I don’t even believe he was the best car/driver package this year (once the whole double diffuser row had been resolved) To me he won the title because of the lead the team achived when it did have a tecnilogical advantage and then he certainly had the balance of luck over the likes of Vettel, Webber, and Barrichello.

Now I know the argument of “you make your own luck” but Button seemed to have a divine force shield this year, take Sunday, within 2 laps 4 cars had gone off in front of him, latter his team mate takes a puncture. The race before the two cars in front of him take each other out, again letting him scrabble a couple of points.

I’m not crying conspiracy just a remarkable run of fortune this season that prevented any of his challengers mounting any sort of challenge despite Button’s poor second half of the season. I genuinely don’t even believe he was the best driver in his team! Take mechanical failings into account and the positions would be reversed.

So yes I believe he is a good driver who took his chance but he is not a Hamilton, Alonso or Schumacher and I believe unless circumstances run heavily in his favour again he will not take the championship a second time.

It also seems a shame that he his now, seemingly, using his new found title to leverage more money out of Brawn as he is yet to agree his new contract, funny how he was seemingly more loyal when many were starting to question his ability!

[Edited on 20/10/09 by orton1966]

RickRick

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
he did take a 50% pay cut at the start of this season when the team were up the creek, i think he's just trying to get some of that back. I think he's a good driver, but i agree no schumacher
zzr1100rick2

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
It would appear he is the best driver in the best car because he won the championship

you cant class hamilton as any better

GMPMotorsport

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
he is equally as good as Hamilton, a worthy World Champion.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
neilj37

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
He won more races than Hamilton did when he won the championship and more races than Vettel or Barrichello. So i my opinion he made his own luck by taking advantage of the situation at the beginning of the season when he had the better car in the field.
franky

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
There's no great drivers in F1. Its all about the car now. Buttons proved it. Thats not a negative comment but there's not a Valentino Rossi on the F1 grid.
carpmart

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid you are incorrect as Button is a fantastic driver!

You have to look at how smooth and precise he is. What impressed me on Sunday was that he took that smooth and conservative style and braked later, slid the car more and was generally more aggressive.

In the right car next year and with a mix of his smoooooth and his new slightly more aggressive style, he will be quite a driver!

He has also got his head sorted as he is now world champion so I think he may be an even better driver!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

designer

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Jenson is a better driver than Hamilton and has more character because he has lived a proper 'playboy' lifestyle, rather than Hamiltons 'cocooned' life.

But, Vettel is better than Jenson.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
And, like it or not Alonso is the best of the current bunch.
richardh

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
he's a journeyman plain and simple. For all these years it was about the income.

truth will tell next year in seeing if he drives that hard for every race

Time for a change!

welderman

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Although im got a great fan of his i would say Alonso is the better driver at the moment.
Lets see how next years cars and drivers get on with a full tank of fuel.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/10/09 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever the views, I can't wait for the last race. I think he will be out to enjoy it and without the pressure he has been under the last few races it should be a good one.

Still a shame for Barichello though, of all the drivers at the minute I think he is the most down to earth.

Maybe next year Rubens....

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/09 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
Seems to me he scored more points than anyone else this year, what does that make him ?

oldtimer

posted on 20/10/09 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
It is just more proof that the car/driver combo is the most important thing. He is a great driver, and will win by a greater margin than Hamilton did last year. Hamilton just as clearly proves a great driver in an average car = nothing special. Button did go defensive too early in the title challenge, but Sundays race showed some true guts after months of overly careful driving.
balidey

posted on 20/10/09 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Its simply not possible to say one person is better than the other, or even to compare current drivers to past drivers. Yes we can speculate and discuss personal opinions, but you can't say he is worse. What you can do is take the race and championship results and see that we won races and he won the championship, competing against all the other teams and drivers. And he came out the winner.

I will bet that there were fans of, say Graham Hill, who say that he deserved to win the '64 championship instead of Surtees. But in that year Surtees was the overall winner. Same with Button this year.

After that I must admit I am over the (Button) moon that Jenson won. He has been my favourite driver for many years. He almost always has a smile and sounds happy to be doing the job he is doing. Look at all the other miserable sods in F1. Hardly a cheery bunch.

[Edited on 20/10/09 by balidey]

vinny1275

posted on 20/10/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Even though Brawn had the best car at the beginning of the season, Button made the most of it and beat Rubens. You can't say that it's all down to a couple of lucky incidents - Jenson had Rubens beaten for the title before his puncture on Sunday, and had more than the measure of him over the course of the year, which is what the championship is all about. ........

If Jenson had been muddling around the beginning of the season, and had won the last 6 races, he'd be being lauded as the best driver in years......

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinny1275

If Jenson had been muddling around the beginning of the season, and had won the last 6 races, he'd be being lauded as the best driver in years......

Sums it up perfectly.

scudderfish

posted on 20/10/09 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
And if Herr Mosely had had is way with the medals idea, he would have been champion back at Spa
RAYLEE29

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Its not just the driver that wins its not just the car and its not just the team its the whole package for the whole year. I really wish I could drive anywhere nearly as good as this driver, hes been around a while waiting in the wings and this year he and his team have done it! nobody should knock them for it. noone did better this year and thats what counts
Ray

l0rd

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I am happy with anyone else except Hamilton.

Dissapointed though due o the early advantage.

i would have liked Rubens to win it as he never got it and he deserves it

roadrunner

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Jenson is better than Rubens, he proved that in the first half of the year they both had the same car. As for the second half the pressure got to Jenson, not much but enough for him to tighten up in qualifying, and you could tell because during the race he nearly always went better than Rubens to pick up them valuable points.
He may not be a MR M Schumacher but he proved he can drive in Brazil.

Surrey Dave

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
yeah but!

Was Damen Hill great?,

Did Mansell win it only when he had by far the best car?,

Would Schumacher have won all those championships if he had a worthy team mate who was allowed to compete with him.

Would James Hunt have won if Nikki Lauda had not missed some races?

Lewis was very lucky last year , and completely fluffed it the 1st year.

Did Kimi win it in style, or stumble over the line with some good fortune?

Has anyone won it who were not in the right car?

[Edited on 20/10/09 by Surrey Dave]

eddie99

posted on 20/10/09 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
As someone said, if he had messed up at the start and won the last 6 races, he would have been a "hero". In my eyes hes a fantastic driver thats just not had the right car.

However it does show how much its about the car/team which is good for the sport. Gets more people involved and the team can feel proud.

Although i think vettel is the best of the pack at the moment, Button isnt far behind.

[Edited on 20/10/09 by eddie99]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Blackcab

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Up until the very last race I had button down as a good driver but not a world beater, head to head in identical cars I think Hamilton would edge it , Im not a hamilton fan either ..

However the last race I thought he was superb, brave and determined and full of confidence .

Really pleased for him, think next year will be a whole new game and dont expect him to figure that highly.

As for the whole salary debate etc ... Button has wlaked away from huge pay offs, taken pay cuts all to be the number one in the world ... having said that he stil earns more in one week than most of us earn in a year !

spidersaurus

posted on 20/10/09 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Pretty much had same opinion as original poster untill the race in Brazil. Button was pretty amazing there.

Though I really hope Vettel would win :/...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.