Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: More work DIY loom - comments please
givemethebighammer

posted on 6/4/04 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
More work DIY loom - comments please

Anyone care to take a look at the attached spread sheet and pass comment on the wire sizes I have specified. I am using a pre-wired fuse box from the car builder solutions people. My seven has no windscreen so wipers etc are absent from the list. I think I may (or may not) have been over cautious on the size of the wires specified. I understand the thinwall wire is higher rated relative to its size anyway.

I have used the site :

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/cables/cables.html

as a guide.

thanks for your comments

mangogroove

posted on 7/4/04 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
See this link for wire size
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=8749&pid=67352

Fifer

posted on 7/4/04 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I realise you are looking for comment on the wire sizes but afraid i'm not competent enough to do this. But FYI ony, I recently purchased a Luego loom and it is really nice. Easy to install and everything is there with the correct sizes etc. I believe they are around 100 quid (bought mine unused second hand) but in my opinion, unless you want the challenge of making your own loom, this is the way to go
elitewiring

posted on 7/4/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
you look like you are pretty switched on!!,
it all looks right to me, 32/0.2 is used normally for most things,28 for dip/main beam, 44 for ignition switch (as long as you have calculated for the ign switched items you are running (remember additional items like stereo, imobiliser etc which might be fitted later).
for what its worth i made the loom fifer has (if it has manufacture no 060602 on it) and i sell them for £70.00(no vat to pay) (which is a lot less than anyone else) (call 01353 648596) im presently designing a new loom which will be allow fitment of any engine to any locost design.
'givemethebighammer' the prewire fuse box is really expensive isn't it, and most bits not needed in my opinion.
as i said you look pretty switched one.
Matt, elitewiring 01353 648596.
business run as more of a hobbie there for keeps costs down for the customer.
i can supply looms which are fully heatshrinked (aka formula one/aircraft industry standard) which include all relays.

givemethebighammer

posted on 7/4/04 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
call me crazy but money did not come into this little project. I just decided that I wanted to have a go at wiring the car myself. More driven by the desire to have "exactly the right number of wires, all of exactly the right lengths to the places I want them". I am thinking of it as fitting the loom to my car, not making someone elses loom fit my car. Yes the pre wired fuse box was expensive but having looked at the unit, all I have to do now is to run the various wires to their corresponding devices. Different colours of wire I can cope with, the ratings of the wire however was a case of do some research and take a guess (I am not expert on matters of electrical load etc).

The whole loom (inc fusebox) is likely to end up costing around £120 to complete, however when I finish it I will know (and therefore be able to troubleshoot faults) the thing inside out and gained some satisfaction and knowledge in the process.

thanks for the info (and for the offer elitewiring)

I will let you know how things progress

elitewiring

posted on 8/4/04 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
i respect you for making your own loom, and can't see you having any problems, and am sure you will be happy with it.
i started making looms for luego as a favour to them (grant and matt), the premier wiring loom they were being supplied didnt fit there cars all that well (in there opinion, not mine, ive not seen a premier loom fitted), they also wanted a simply solution to use low ampage light switches.these are problems i sorted for them.

VinceGledhill

posted on 8/4/04 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Save yourself loads and loads of money. Only buy three rolls of wire. All in black. (the 44's you need only a little don't buy a roll)

Then buy the numbers for the wires and number each end making a note of and drawing a circuit for each circuit in the car on a seperate piece of paper as you go.

When you have finished you will have a circuit diagram for future reference complete with wiring numbers.

The electricity doesn't care what colour the wire is.

To do as you say, I would wire it all up a circuit at a time. Putting the wires where they need to go and securing with slack cable ties to various points on the chassis.

Only when completely finished and everything is working would I add the loom tape..... what am I talking about.... that is what I "WILL" be doing shortly.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

Fifer

posted on 8/4/04 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Would this not be a pain in the A*se to tape the loom afterwards ? Like in the tunnel, behind the dash etc ?
VinceGledhill

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I suppose it depends on weather or not you have got any pannels fitted. I for one will not have any pannels when I come to do the wiring.

The rear loom I will probably ensure that I've got sufficient wires, number them up and tape it up first before fitting.

Scuttle will be fitted after the wiring.

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

GO

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
elite,

do you have an expected delivery date for the new any engine loom? I'm guessing you're just leaving out the engine bay stuff?

elitewiring

posted on 8/4/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
GO,
i have just finished a design for a fisherfury (bec) loom and busy getting this up and running, so i am expecting it to be between 6-8 weeks, before i can supply.
i am planning on providing a loom with a plug break at the engine, and supply seperate engine harnesses to fit each engine type, which obviously takes a lot of designing to suit all the different engines.
this will hopefully be a proper fitting loom, not a universal fit as other supplier sell, which require loads more work for you the customer.
matt.

givemethebighammer

posted on 8/4/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
thought about one colour of wire with the ends labeled. Sod's law says that one of the labels will have fallen off \ become unreadable \ etc etc exactly when you need to know what it is connected to.

I have now ordered my wire in several colours. Loom building begins next week.

Keep you posted.

[Edited on 8/4/04 by givemethebighammer]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.