Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: aNOTHER eBAY RANT :-(
ReMan

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
aNOTHER eBAY RANT :-(

Is it just me, but the last 2 items i've listed, eBay has FORCED me to give FREE postage!
Apparantly due to feedback from buyers
Now I don't want ripping off for postage any more than the next man, but if Imy item sold for the 99p that I start at then i'd be selling at a loss.
So what do you have to do? Add the postage in to the price of the item..
Guess what, the listing fee has just gone up

And some more

I cant see any way round it other than listing the items in a completely different category? That going to help my sale-not

blakep82

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
set a higher starting price?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

55ant

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
i still buy things of ebay but am never suprised when things go wrong, but i have given up selling on there now, pain in the arse, it used to be a place to get difficult to find stuff at a fair price, now people want whatever you sell for nothing, except ebay corp, they want your money!

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

Dangle_kt

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
But that increases the listing fee. eBay wins.

Honestly if someone came up with a good alternative then sellers would leave eBay in droves.

myke pocock

posted on 25/11/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just sold three items on ebay, SPECIFICALLY stating in the listing that I wanted paying by cheque, then 5 days to clear and I would post. What have two done? Payed by PayPal and theres nought I can do. Thing is you cannot list anything for sale without having to offer PayPal as an option so those brain deads who cannot read the listing properly, even with me sending an invoice stating the cheque method, get away with it. DOOOOOOHHHHH!!!!
Canada EH!

posted on 25/11/09 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Was looking at a header from California, header $79.00 USD, $82.00 CDN.
Seller wanted $75.00 USD for shipping, taxes, brokerage fees.
Because we build Fords Chryslers and GM's in Canada and ship them to the States there is no duty on auto parts between the two nations.
If the part is Mailed instead of Couriered there is only Provincial tax due on arrival, so what is the scam?

Blackbird Rush

posted on 25/11/09 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Me too!!

Just had a mail from a buyer not happy with P&P costs after they won and received the items (very happy with the items though)

Being threatened with bad feedback if a compromise is not made

Some people are real skin flints, a couple of quid for P&P materials and MY time posting it i think is reasonable but obviously not to the buyer (who accepted the cost by bidding in the first place!)

Sorry to hijack your rant.....

UncleFista

posted on 25/11/09 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I'm all for it

I'm sick of having to sift through auctions looking for honest sellers with reasonable p+p.
Too many sell items for peanuts and bump the price up with postage, avoiding final value fees.
Everyone selling items in a category where they have to provide free p+p are in the same boat. It's not affected my sales (over 2500 feedback).

Just my two-pennorth

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

ReMan

posted on 25/11/09 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
But that increases the listing fee. eBay wins.

Honestly if someone came up with a good alternative then sellers would leave eBay in droves.

That the point I'm getting at, it's about Ebay winning no-one else.
BUT, i'm not sure that you could crteate anything better as the idiots will all follow

RK

posted on 26/11/09 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
It's all a little too much like Canadian banks: you win, they win. You lose, they win. If I could put it under my mattress I'd do it, but then I'd forget about it and eventually throw it away.
blakep82

posted on 26/11/09 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
^ hmm, but these are all businesses. of course they're out to make money lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 26/11/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
eBay is just out to protect buyers.

I listed two identical bike Chrome parts, both sold, one guy very happy, the other not, and wants a refund because there are some marks on the chrome, clearly visible in the pic, and its 40 years old FFS, anyway refunds him, and blocks him from my future auctions.

Then I list a set of new exhausts for the same bike, Tosser above tries to bid, and finds he's blocked, moans at me, I told him I don't want his business. Reports me to eBay and they can my listing!!!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jabs

posted on 26/11/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
What bugs me is their VERO procedure or lack of itl. I sell loads of secondhand hairstraighteners from a well known brand, I have feedback of over 600 with 100% One day the brands owner decided my listings are for fakes so I am banned from listing for a week and the listings removed. All I can do is appeal to the brands owner but they do not have to reply or give any reasons.

Screws my business for a week

Case of your guilty cos we say so and you cannot appeal - that sucks.

02GF74

posted on 26/11/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Is it just me, but the last 2 items i've listed, eBay has FORCED me to give FREE postage!

What are these items? Then I can nsympathcise with you or not

I hate it when sellers hike up postage to ludicrous levels and sell items cheap in order to avoid fees - e.g.

Even though I pay the same amount of money in total, I feel ripped off then I paid £ 30 for post and item arrives in measly envelopewith one 2nd class stamp

johnston

posted on 26/11/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
any games like PS3 Xbox NDS etc etc have to have free P&P

We've been selling our old ones off in dribs and drabs and its a pain in the ass. If you look on Ebays own discussion forum there is loads of complaints as I think CDs Tapes DVDs and LPs are all free P&p as well

Ebays reason because THEY are competing with online shops like Amazon Play.com etc etc .

Their answer inc P&P in starting bid which of course increases their cut, infact means they are getting a slice of royal mails money.

Away round it, get a mate to bid if they win cut your loses if they don't well they just got the bid to a reasonable amount.

Benzine

posted on 26/11/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnston
Away round it, get a mate to bid if they win cut your loses if they don't well they just got the bid to a reasonable amount.

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 26/11/09 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnston
I think CDs Tapes DVDs and LPs are all free P&p as well

Ebays reason because THEY are competing with online shops like Amazon Play.com etc etc .

funny, I've notiuce a few CDs being free p+p - it was kinda annoying that p+p could be £ 1.50 to £ 2.00 and then it arriving in an envelope adnd 2nd class stamp!!!

And as you say, that hike in p+p would make amazon more competivie plus you don;t have the hassle of being outbid.

In the end, no matter what happens, ebay is quids in, only wish I had invented it!!!

Steve G

posted on 26/11/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
I really cant stand Ebay's business practices but as stated there just isnt a decent alternative yet. I have sold a few things recently and have you ever tried getting a definative answer as to their fee structure?? Its buried pretty deep within the system and took me ages to find!! Considering its the sellers that provide most of their income, you'd think they'd actually try to me more level handed with disputes - but they always seem to side with buyers no matter how ridiculous their claims. Grrrrrr
roadrunner

posted on 26/11/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me , or do you not see the postage amount before you bid on an item. If the postage is too high dont bid or bid a slightly lower amount to compensate.
It's no good agreeing to terms then complaining about them afterwards.

02GF74

posted on 26/11/09 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Is it just me , or do you not see the postage amount before you bid on an item. If the postage is too high dont bid or bid a slightly lower amount to compensate.

Who, moi? If someone wants more than £ 1.50 for a regular CD, then I don't bid.

If I win a CD and postage/packing is put to be £ 1.50 and comes in a regular envelope with a regular 2nd class stamp, all of which cost 40 p or so, then yes, why shouldn't I feel like I've been ripped off?

Staple balls

posted on 26/11/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
If I win a CD and postage/packing is put to be £ 1.50 and comes in a regular envelope with a regular 2nd class stamp, all of which cost 40 p or so, then yes, why shouldn't I feel like I've been ripped off?

Why would you? You got what you paid for, for what you agreed to pay for it.

I don't particularly like the low price/high shipping thing on ebay, but if it works out the same price as someone quoting shipping accurately, who gives a crap?

ReMan

posted on 26/11/09 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan

What are these items? Then I can nsympathcise with you or not

I hate it when sellers hike up postage to ludicrous levels and sell items cheap in order to avoid fees - e.g.

Even though I pay the same amount of money in total, I feel ripped off then I paid £ 30 for post and item arrives in measly envelopewith one 2nd class stamp

One of the items were magazines
The other was BJ printer inks.

I don't think £2-3 is a rip off particularly as I wont send anything without recorderd delivery ( again to avoid ebay bias towards the buyer claiming non delivery)

ReMan

posted on 26/11/09 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
In fact, in advance of an official plugging post later here are the items
Link
Link 2

There are also Locost parts that will let me charge what I want for postage!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.