Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike - sports tourer suggestions
givemethebighammer

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Motorbike - sports tourer suggestions

I've committed to going on a motorbike run across Europe (1600miles round trip) in the summer and suddenly panicked at the thought of that length of time on my VFR400 (NC30). I have been looked for a reasonably priced, reliable sports tourer, and the Suzuki TDM 850 seems to fit the bill. Has anyone had any experience with these or can suggest an alternative machine. I'm quite short (5'7" so I don't want anything that the seat to too high on, I also intend to put some panniers and a tank bag on too.

thanks

MakeEverything

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
In all fairness to the little honda, it would probably do just as well as any of those youve mentioned.

I had an NC35 (RVF400), and it was bomb proof, quick and kept up with the traffic (bike traffic i mean).

It was comfortable, forgiving, and i even low sided it on a manhole cover once coming out of the roundabout, stayed on it, and managed to push it up again before it spat me off. Admittedly, i did have my knee almost down at the time anyway, but it took the brake pedal off and scuffed my leathers, chuckled to itself and let me hammer it ome more.

Cracking little bikes, dont underestimate it, justmake sure you prep it for the long journey. I would have another one tomorrow over any of the 1000cc bikes ive had.

I had a CBR1000F which i took to the isle of man 100th anniversary, and it was comfortable to ride long distance, and when on the twisties turned into a little sports bike.
Still very heavy, and a handful for someone who doesnt like heavy bikes (me).

[Edited on 21/1/10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

contaminated

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought you'd go for the big brother of your current bike - best all rounder every built IMHO.
scootz

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have a TRX850 (basically the same bike, but ladder chassis and different plastics) and loved it. Great punchy parallel-twin engine.

[Edited on 21/1/10 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

r1_pete

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
If the Honda is relliable why not just use that?

Agreed something like a VFR800 would fit the bill, plentifull and reasonable price, deceptively low seat height too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry the NC30 isn't going, it's just that under 60mph it hurts my wrists and on long trips the riding position is very cramped. Great bike for a Sunday blast, not so good for a long haul.

I love the vfr750/800, but I'm not so sure my budget will stretch that far. Whatever I get doesn't have to be good looking, just comfortable and reliable.

[Edited on 21/1/10 by givemethebighammer]

Wheels244

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
TDM 850 is a Yamaha.

BMW GS is the one to munch some miles on if your budget will stretch to one.

flibble

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Had a Yamaha<< TDM850 for years, loved it - simple to fix, nice at distance yet easy to have fun on, wheelie and even scrape the pegs at snetterton could do with 10 more bhp or so but ultimatly my favourite and I've had many bikes usually of the supersports variety
If you get an old one with a 16" front wheel (1999 or before I thiink), get a 17" front wheel off a thundercat or similar as it's a little more stable I found and tyres are much much easier to have a choice in. Have a look on the carpeTDM site if it's still going, they used to be an OK bunch.

[Edited on 21-1-10 by flibble]

scootz

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, and the front brakes were not particularly good, but the R6 set-up is an easy (and relatively cheap) upgrade.

It's Evolution Baby!

givemethebighammer

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the TDM (with a few mods maybe the way to go), I've just had a look on the bay, there are a few VFR750's at reasonable money, but from looking the TDM is a simpler bike and parts seem to be a bit cheaper. I don't have to decide just yet so I'm going to keep looking, I may even get something as a short term project. The trip isn't until August.
Steve Hignett

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
For the second time in as many months, I have to say:

VFR750.............

jambojeef

posted on 21/1/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
[scratched record mode: on]

VFR800!!!

skodaman

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just ditch the low bars on the NC30 and you'll be fine. I once went round Europe on a CB250RSA. 3,200 miles in two weeks taking in the Alps, Pyrenees, 4 days on the beach in Spain and the British bike grand prix on the way back. The bike managed no probs apart from a bit slow.
When I had an NC30 I couldn't ride it for more than 30mins without stopping cos so uncomfortable but I'm 6' 2". But apart from the riding position it'd be fantastic. On a Euro trip unless ur sticking to motorways the most important things are comfort, handling and of course reliability. I wouldn't take a trail bike cos your compromising handling and the purpose built tourers are no good for some of the crap roads you might encounter cos they're too big and heavy.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bmseven

posted on 22/1/10 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
TDM (Yamaha BTW) has quite a tall seat height
Other contenders to consider
Suzukii SV650 http://www.sv650.org/
BMW F650 http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-f650-gs/bmw-f650-gs.htm

BMW 7 Resource
Bures Pit anyone?

daviep

posted on 22/1/10 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Triumph Sprint ST
Kawasaki ZZR1100 /1200/ 1400
Honda Blackbird
Suzuki 1200 Bandit
BMW F800ST

Loads of choice, the beemer comes in 3 seat height sizes, ZZR is quite a low seat as well.

Davie

MakeEverything

posted on 22/1/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
it's just that under 60mph it hurts my wrists

I used to get that, but then i learned to sit tall on the bike, with the tank pretty much right in my lap, which sits you further upright rather than too far forward. You can then use your back and stomach to sit up and take the weight off your wrists.

Then i tried a tank back to lean on, and that works too.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

dogwood

posted on 23/1/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I had 3 Yam TDM's loved them all.
Great for touring, I did most of France, Holland, Germany on mine..
You can also "Scratch" with them if you feel so inclined.

My last bike was a Triumph Thunderbird.
Couldn't fault the bike, but hated it.
Just had no soul..

You can tour with any bike.
You really need to get out and ride a few.
See what suits your needs.
Assuming you can still get test rides..

Edited: Just noticed you are 5'7". the TDM may be a bit tall, still worth a ride though

[Edited on 23/1/10 by dogwood]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

givemethebighammer

posted on 23/1/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback people. I've narrowed it down to two

1. The Yamaha TDM 850
2. VFR 750

I can afford either, but here's the conflict. I love my NC30 and the VFR 750 would seem to be the logical choice but...

I tried a friends TDM and it felt great, good comfortable upright position and not too tall. The TDM has two cylinders, two carbs, ten valves, one radiator and very little in the way of plastic bodywork and looks to be fairly easy to get at and work on everything.

The VFR 750 has four cylinders, four carbs, sixteen valves, two radiators and lots of plastic bodywork to remove before you can get to anything. Then given my experiences with the NC30, can be a nightmare to work on. But... the VFR 750 would be a great bike to ride.

My heart says get the VFR 750, it won't go wrong it's a Honda isn't it. MY head says get the TDM 850, it's a much simpler bike and not much in the way of expensive plastics to break if I drop it.

The NC30 isn't going to work for me, I've done the leaning on the tankbag and sitting upright thing, but I've had to admit the bike is loads of fun (hence I won't be selling it), but it's really not a tourer.

To add to the argument if I did need to get parts in Europe, I say I'd have a better chance of getting them for the Yamaha (the TDM sold very well in Europe) than for either the VFR 750 or my NC30, but that's just based on the info I have seen on the web.

Which way do I jump...........

Steve Hignett

posted on 23/1/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
BUT!!! The VFR won't go wrong so your debate with yourself above is not relevant!

Obviously that's a bit of a bold statement, and in all honesty if you tell me in a few months that it broke down and you want me to pay for your holiday, I'd have to say no...

givemethebighammer

posted on 31/1/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well, after trawling the classified ads I found a 1992 J TDM with 19,500 miles on the clock. Closer inspection revealed, good tyres, chain, sprockets, new battery, new brake pads all round and a long MOT. The plastics and seat were also in good shape. Only real faults were a bit of rust on the frame and a slight leak on one of the fork seals. The best bit was it only cost me £740 so I have budget left if it needs anything doing. I rode it back the 80 miles home yesterday (cold hands!) and it felt fine. It's going to get a good going over before the spring, but hopefully I've found a reliable mile muncher.

Thank for everyones input on this. As for the VFR750, I couldn't find anything in nearly as good condition as this for anywhere near this money. Maybe next time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.