Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: painting a prop shaft
blakep82

posted on 25/1/10 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
painting a prop shaft

this might sound silly, but i remember reading something like this before somewhere...

i'm going to want to paint my prop shaft. the paint finish isn't great from the factory, and some has scraped off already. its not been run on the car yet, so don't really want to get into taking it all apart and risk breaking it, so...

... can i just hang it from my garage roof and spray it? or should i mask up all the bearings and greasing points? i obviously don't want to ruin it lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bluemoon

posted on 25/1/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mask bearings. They should be sealed but, paint solvents can be quite thin.. Used a paint brush on mine, problem solved..

[Edited on 25/1/10 by Bluemoon]

iank

posted on 25/1/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'd masking tape the any nipples before spraying.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

r1_pete

posted on 25/1/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
This might sound dafter, but make sure you get an even coat all over, more paint on one side can throw them out of balance!!!!!.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 25/1/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I'd masking tape the any nipples before spraying.

mine or the prop?!

quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
This might sound dafter, but make sure you get an even coat all over, more paint on one side can throw them out of balance!!!!!.

yeah, something else i was concerned about. the prop is quite long too.

is it possible to brush paint with paint intended for spraying? its going to go the same colour as my axle, gearbox, and bell housing, and a few other bits, so was wanting to get everything all ready to do at the same time. but all the bearing and stuff just worry me a little.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 25/1/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete

..... and after painting it, check for any insects stuck in the paint, heaven forbid a ladybird throwing it out of balance!!

blakep82

posted on 25/1/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
^ if there is, i'll stick one to the other side too

gordon h

posted on 25/1/10 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
ladybird i like it

bec is best but going to try sabb 2.3 turbo mk

norfolkluego

posted on 25/1/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i'm going to want to paint my prop shaft.

I suggest you get it to lay on a sofa with one of it's UJs bent in a suggestive manner. You put on a smock and a big floppy beret, come in, set up your easel and say 'ze light iz perfect', paint away.
Surprised you hadn't thought of this yourself.

skinned knuckles

posted on 25/1/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:

i'm going to want to paint my prop shaft.

I suggest you get it to lay on a sofa with one of it's UJs bent in a suggestive manner. You put on a smock and a big floppy beret, come in, set up your easel and say 'ze light iz perfect', paint away.
Surprised you hadn't thought of this yourself.

LMAO, SWMBO has just thrown TV remote at me because she thought i was laughing at her doing her aerobics DVD

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

blakep82

posted on 25/1/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
awesome

so, if i make sure the nipples (he he) are taped up, i guess i can spray the rest, any paint on joints will just break up i suppose but obviously try and avoid it as much as possible, and i can then re grease them just in case anything got in?

Bluemoon

posted on 26/1/10 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
awesome

so, if i make sure the nipples (he he) are taped up, i guess i can spray the rest, any paint on joints will just break up i suppose but obviously try and avoid it as much as possible, and i can then re grease them just in case anything got in?

You probably should mask the bearing seals (to stop the thin paint getting past them). It might not be required but I would not want to risk getting paint in the grease.

You re-grease them using the grease nipple... Once rubbish is in the bearings you would need to take all the UJs apart and clean and re-assemble with new grease...

Dan

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 26/1/10 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used to build props for a living ........

The only parts we used to mask were the gearbox slip yokes (the part that slides into the gearbox). We didnt get paint on the flange surface becasue we sprayed away from it.

I would not worry about the Uj`s, seals etc. Just wipe the paint off the nipple before greasing.

If you wanted to be absolutly correct you should mask the flange where the bolt heads sit. It is bad practice to have paint between clamped surfaces and that includes under washers or bolt heads.

Bluemoon

posted on 26/1/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JB

The only parts we used to mask were the gearbox slip yokes (the part that slides into the gearbox). We didnt get paint on the flange surface becasue we sprayed away from it.

I would not worry about the Uj`s, seals etc. Just wipe the paint off the nipple before greasing.

If you wanted to be absolutly correct you should mask the flange where the bolt heads sit. It is bad practice to have paint between clamped surfaces and that includes under washers or bolt heads.

Cool, simplified that then I suppose the only problem might be if you have a modified prop the seals may-not be great (I know mine are a little split something for me to keep checking).

blakep82

posted on 26/1/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JB

awesome top man!
so, mask the yoke, maybe blace a bolt and washer in the flange, mask the grease nipple (just because) and spray?

seems faily easy. thanks hopefully get a go at it later this week or next week

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.