Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Microsquirt
irvined

posted on 19/2/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Microsquirt

Hello,

I know a lot of people have problems getting megasquirt running, so i thought I'd post a success story.

Last year I ran EDIS and Megajolt for ignition, it worked great, but I was never happy with the fuelling. Dyno time is expensive in Holland, and to be honest, and whilst there was an improvement after a couple of sessions, i've never found a true weber genius here. This prompted me to fit fuel injection.

I'm running Jenvey throttle bodies, and microsquirt with EDIS for ignition control.

The manual for EDIS based Megasquirt/Microsquirt isn't very clear. You need to connect PIP from EDIS to OptIn+ on the micro-squirt, OptIn- to ground, and Ign 1 to SAW on EDIS. In addition you must set the jumpers on the micro-squirt board to Logic mode.

I got stumped for a couple of hours after i was ready to start it because I didn't see a tach signal despite the EDIS module firing the coils. This was due to the jumper settings. After I figured out the jumper, it started first time. I'm not using an idle control valve or anything, so its a relatively simple setup.

I'm using an LC-1 to tune the setup with EGO/Autotune, and its working pretty well. I need to adjust the cranking mixture as it doesn't start first time all the time yet, and the acceleration enrichment needs some work.

For about 3 hours of fiddling in the garage with the laptop, I've got a pretty damn good setup, a lot closer to my target AFR than I've ever had with the webers. It's not as easy to setup compared to the ViPAC unit i've used before, for the money its an absolute bargain.

Once I've got it figured out I'll post the maps for anybody who is interested.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

Paul (Notts)

posted on 19/2/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
What engine are you running.

Just converting from Megajolt + EDIS to Megasquirt + EDDis for the same reasons.

Paul

irvined

posted on 19/2/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Paul,

I'm running a 1660 crossflow, 1300cc pistons, stage 3 head, 224 cam, and jenvey bodies, can't remember the flow rate of the injectors though.

MikeR

posted on 19/2/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Was it really that simple setting up?

I guess the throttle bodies mounted directly to the weber manifold.

(got a couple of car weeks coming up - hoping to get up to running car so will be looking at FI in the near future - 2011 probably )

big_wasa

posted on 19/2/10 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Just dooing mine at the min. Ive picked up a used Dta e48 exp from a dta dealer for about the same price as the Ms kit.

I am going to make a start on the loom this week end and I need to pull the engine and box out to put a return fuel line in.

I am setting myself the dead line of easter to get the thing finished

mad4x4

posted on 19/2/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Well Well , I just ordered the Megasquirt MS2 for my car last week. Same thing never been happy with fueling. Got the Wasted spark version so I can throw away the EDIS unit.

Planning to use stock thottle body on it... can't afford Jenv's

1.8 Zetec

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Doofus

posted on 19/2/10 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa

I am setting myself the dead line of easter to get the thing finished

Which one?

I shouldn't take the P, mine might not be done by then :-S

irvined

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Was it really that simple setting up?

I guess the throttle bodies mounted directly to the weber manifold.

(got a couple of car weeks coming up - hoping to get up to running car so will be looking at FI in the near future - 2011 probably )

With a pre-assembled unit that you know should be working fine, its not really any harder than any other. You need to be prepared to find the problem yourself via trial and error, and asking questions/googling as its not like you can phone up and get support like you could with say MSD or OMEX, but that part aside, its just 10 or so wires, a few sensors.

The proof of the pudding will be how long it takes to get the accel enrichment and starting pwm correct, but im pretty optimistic.

I meed to get an MOT before I can tune it further though, i only have a few hundred meters of 'driveway' i can abuse, but it went from running way out, to pretty much spot on lambda within an hour or so of tweaking for the lower parts of the table.

I must say, overall i'm very impressed with the kit.

Bjorn

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good! I'm thinking of ordering a Megasquirt myself. I'm using a 1800cc Zetec. So this would be a good combination?
irvined

posted on 21/2/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Bjorn - Should be, you will already have the sensors you require on the engine, and you can either use the existing injection system or fit aftermarket ones if space/performance require it.

Its up to you if you use the EDIS module for ignition, it is supposedly less prone to EMF interference, and is a well proven ignition system, but there is no reason why microsquirt on its own wouldn't do the job just as well.

I used EDIS as I already had it wired in.

Bjorn

posted on 26/2/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! Just bought my Microsquirt and just finished unpacking.
Looks fine, but the manual s*cks! I'm pretty much lost already. Do you know where I can find a good wiring diagram for a Zetec? I'm going to use EDIS also by the way.

irvined

posted on 26/2/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bjorn,

Don't forget to set the jumper to Logic mode on the circuit board.

Wiring is described in some detail here:
However it is pretty generic and not specific for using EDIS. I've attached a spreadsheet with the connections I have.

In addition you will need to run a 12v feed to the injectors off your ignition live circuit.

There are a lot more cables than you will actually need for a simple installation, so best bet is to identify those, and tie them out of the way, once you get them out of sight it looks a lot simpler.

Once you have it physically wired up, enable firmware upgrade mode, and install the latest version if you don't already have it, and make sure your configuration file matches the firmware. After that it should start to be pretty straightforward.

HTH

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.