Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rivets...
scootz

posted on 8/4/10 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Rivets...

I've been cleaning a set of old TB's and decided to remove the butterfly's... bad move - each of the little grub screws that attach the butterfly to the spindle sheared!

So going to be drilling them out - only thing is... doesn't leave much 'meat' on the spindle to tap a new thread!

So was thinking of other ways to secure them... a rivet is the obvious answer, but the reverse side of a rivet insert is never neat (in my experience) and would not be ideal for a TB set-up!

Can anyone recommend any other techniques, fasteners or fancy rivets that are flush at both end?

Ta!

It's Evolution Baby!

tegwin

posted on 8/4/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Helicoil?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

afj

posted on 8/4/10 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
helicoil gos down to m2 maybe

ETA to slow

[Edited on 8/4/10 by afj]

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 8/4/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I think you're thinking of blind rivets, inserted with a rivet gun, but originally rivets were solid, pushed through from one side and (for flush rivets) hammered down on the otherside (against a hard surface such as an anvil). The hammered side could then be fettled with a file for a smooth flush finish. For raised rivets you would need a punch with a convex end. You could (and still can I think) get them in brass and ally both of which would be an ideal solution for your need.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

02GF74

posted on 8/4/10 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
if you are able to drill accurately down the centre of the screw with a drill the same diameter as the core screw diameter (not sure if that is right term but the overall diameter less thread), you may be able to dig out the remainder of the thread or run a smaller size tap that will pull out the remaing screw thread.

helicoil will need a larger diameter hole and I doubt you have enough metal in the spindle for that.

you may be able to fill the hole using plumbers or some other hard solder - even lumiweld - as the spindle is likely to be brass and it is not like you are aplying 70 lbft torque to the screw

I wouldn't use rivets - they need to be solid so as not to cause an air leak.

(I am referring ofcourse to pop rivers, as opposed to the old type solid ones that you swage one end over with a hammer)

[Edited on 8/4/10 by 02GF74]

scootz

posted on 8/4/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys... and yes, it is a brass type material for both spindle and butterfly.

It's Evolution Baby!

Mix

posted on 8/4/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

You need countersunk solid rivets or need to countersink the tails of mush head rivets - suggest you seek out someone in the aviation industry in your area.

Regards Mick

MakeEverything

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt use rivets as the pressure may split the remaining "Meat" on the spindle.

I think i would either get a piece of brass rod the same size as the drilled out screw, and to exactly the right length. Once its in, you can use a centre punch (a small one) on the centre of the rod to expand it a little. Ince youve got it secure, you could then silver solder it jsut to be sure it wont come out.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

r1_pete

posted on 8/4/10 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
They sheered off because they are peened over once screwed in to prevent them vibrating out in use.

If you are careful with a smaller drill, drill from the head side, and if your lucky the drill will grip, break the head off the screw, and screw it out the wrong way, leaving the thread intact.

Had exactly the same problem on a set of delorto carbs.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 8/4/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.