Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Very much WIP
Jon Ison

posted on 15/4/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Very much WIP

But will this get enough cold air in, dont panic its having a coat of fresh paint once bonnets complete.

Description
Description
Rescued attachment aa1.jpg
Rescued attachment aa1.jpg

rsmith95uk

posted on 15/4/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - should keep the pedal box nice & cool
Cousin Cleotis

posted on 15/4/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good, but not really the correct way to use that particular air intake, from what i have read in a couple of books, never used one myself. Its called a "NACA duct" for anyone wanting to research.

Paul

MakeEverything

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Cleotis
not really the correct way to use that particular air intake

So? If it works, and its safe, then its all good id say.

Looks ok to me. Good work cutting it in so well.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

So?

A different design or placement might work better, thats all........... My comment didnt really need clarifying, pretty basic use of the English language, or so i thought.

Like i said, looks good, good compromise between form and function?

Paul

MakeEverything

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My comment didnt really need clarifying, pretty basic use of the English language, or so i thought.

Paul

Someone's tired!

Not quite sure why you say not correct though?

[Edited on 15-4-10 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

MakeEverything

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cousin Clitoris,

Yes, youre right. Ferrari got it wrong too.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looks good, but not really the correct way to use that particular air intake, from what i have read in a couple of books, never used one myself. Its called a "NACA duct" for anyone wanting to research.
Paul

For those that don't want to do the research, it could possibly be called a 'KNACKERED duct'.
Personally I think it looks

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I did not comment to put down someone's work, it looks like a job well done. but the question was, will this get enough cold air? This is a technical forum?

NACA ducts have to be made to a strict set of dimensions and positioned on panels as flat as possible and so that the air flows over them and not into them, the air will flow into them because of the shape. It looks like a NACA duct but will not function as one.

A different design intake may work better.

MakeEverything, I can assure you I'm not tired my bed time is not until 10pm. I don't have a great way with words and often may seam short and sharp, that's just the way I write. The "So?" and "Someone's tired!" comment make me feel a little attacked, for no just reason that I can see. I thought this thread was started to discuss the air intake on this discussion forum.

Paul

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Cousin Clitoris,

Yes, youre right. Ferrari got it wrong too.

Did they? Positioned on flat panels? Yes. Air flows over the duct? Yes. The hole in the back of the duct is square not round? Yes.

Locost NACA Duct, Positioned on flat panels? No. Air flows over the duct? No. The hole in the back of the duct is square not round? No.

Paul

MakeEverything

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
MakeEverything, I can assure you I'm not tired my bed time is not until 10pm. I don't have a great way with words and often may seam short and sharp, that's just the way I write. The "So?" and "Someone's tired!" comment make me feel a little attacked, for no just reason that I can see. I thought this thread was started to discuss the air intake on this discussion forum.

Paul

Ok, ok, Sorry Paul. I wasnt attacking, rather thought i was defending what seemed like a snipe! Truce!!

The NACA duct or NACA scoop is a common form of low-drag intake design, originally developed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (the precursor to NASA) in 1945. When properly implemented, it allows air to be drawn into an internal duct, often for cooling purposes, with a minimal disturbance to the flow. The design was originally called a "submerged inlet," since it consists of a shallow ramp with curved walls recessed into the exposed surface of a streamlined body, such as an aircraft. It is especially favored in racing car design.

Prior submerged inlet experiments showed poor pressure recovery due to the slow-moving boundary layer entering the intake. This design is believed to work because the combination of the gentle ramp angle and the curvature profile of the walls creates counter-rotating vortices which deflect the boundary layer away from the intake and draws in the faster moving air, while avoiding the form drag and flow separation that can occur with protruding inlet designs. This type of flush inlet generally cannot achieve the larger ram pressures and flow volumes of an external design, and so is rarely used for the jet engine intake application for which it was originally designed, (the North American YF-93 and Short Sherpa being exceptions.) It is, however, common for engine and ventilation intakes.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

Jon Ison

posted on 15/4/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
oooerrrrrrrr.

I only cut an hole.

The way I see it is like this, its a 7, not a lot of bodywork to play with and as its hand made by moi none of them are gonna flat so.......

Do I leave the air intake under the bonnet to suck in hot air that's flowing through the rad or cut a hole and let it pull a bit of cold in, I'm pretty sure 4 pistons spinning at 11000rpm will suck hard enough ? Oh and with a bit if gobo n paint I think it will look ok to.

What is the best way to feed cool air directly to a airbox, particularly given the tight bodywork restraints of a 7 clone ?

boggle

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
looks good and i think it will work well as a ram air feed......

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Jon Ison

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry, Ive come up with a better (light hearted) solution, just need to cut a hole in back to feed air box, of and sit on a big cushion to see over it............

Serious question to those in the know, what is the best way to get a cool air feed into a forward facing air box like the set up I have ? Rescued attachment bin.jpg
Rescued attachment bin.jpg

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
What is the best way to feed cool air directly to a airbox, particularly given the tight bodywork restraints of a 7 clone ?

I think NACA ducts do look good, but would be difficult to get to work right, plan on visiting a wind tunnel? They are designed for low drag intakes, not for ram air, as fitted to most motorbikes.

Getting the shape right is easy, how big to make it? no idea. Where to put it? Probably on the front of the bonnet, Its flat and air would flow over it.

I would probably leave the intake where it is but change the shape for better ram air design. Dont know what shape though.

Paul

[Edited on 15/4/10 by Cousin Cleotis]

owelly

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
To know if the duct will work as intended, you need to put some wool 'tell tails" in the duct at the mouth and a bit further in. Try shrouding the duct in various places with modelling clay (plasticine) to disrupt the air flow to see if that make it work better. Roundy fronted cars do strange things to air flow and we all know that air passing over a panel will create a lower pressure than that of the still air under it. That's why your hair gets sucked up through a sunroof (if you have hair, and a sunroof that is open). I was suprised to find that , at above 30ish MPH a flappy sticker was getting sucked from the front edge of my bonnet, forwards and down into the grill. When I made the bonnet a tighter fit on the front edge, the sticker would blow up and backwards as you'd imagine it should do.

[Edited on 15/4/10 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
brianthemagical

posted on 15/4/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
On a car with drag of a seven, a duct is highly negligible.

For the best ram air effect, and thus the most effective intake, a vertical hole incident to the flow is best.

If you want it on a surface ~parallel to the flow, then a scoop type duct will work fine. A NACA duct is for use when you need it to be efficient, such that it doesn't affect the boundary layer, or cause laminar flow bubbles and such where they are not needed.

A 'scoop' design will produce the highest 'inlet effect', much like a heavily cambered wing would produce a higher Cl, but where efficiency is concerned neither of very effective.

As for this situation, if it were a pure NACA duct then it may not be as good as it could be, as such the design being similar to a NACA duct does add some complexity and needles work. Saying that, it's already been done, so there's no point changing it but if it were to be done again a simple smoothed and highly radiied hole would be best.

[Edited on 15/4/10 by brianthemagical]

[Edited on 15/4/10 by brianthemagical]

bi22le

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with most that has been said but i think an important point is being missed. This naca thing is not being used as a duct but a cold air feed. There is a massive vacuum being created by the engine voiding the original design. It does however allow the engine to suck premium fast flowing air.
I think its tidy and for a mod that is nice looking and functional, its bob on!
Regarding the supply to the box, i think a flex hose straight to the air box will be fine. Your building a fun car not a cutting edge race car!
Hmmm does look tidy though.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

hicost blade

posted on 15/4/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think it looks neat, it will give the more of a ram air effect unlike a proper NACA duct although I think it will still be effective. I have a similar ReVerie 100mm 'NACA' duct and I intend to do exactly the same thing.

If I was you I would look at a slightly bigger air box

matt_gsxr

posted on 15/4/10 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
These ducts are well proven in RGB and work (probably mostly due to direct cool air feed). In this implementation it looks good and should function well.

Regarding ram air, you won't go fast enough for any real significant effects, this has been mentioned a few times before. So there is little point optimising it for ram-air.

marmot0

posted on 16/4/10 at 03:46 AM Reply With Quote
works on my car
rgb front
rgb front

Ivan

posted on 16/4/10 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I think it will work just fine - just one thing - the corrugated air pipe has very poor flow charecterisitics causing major turbulance - much better to go for a smooth bore pipe - that will more than make up for any "inefficiencies" in the utilisation of the NACA form

Also don't forget the fact that the air is entering a negative presure in your duct will change the dynamics of the NACA type duct so be content that it will work well - certainly much better than no duct at all.

Oh - and it looks very cool.

Toprivetguns

posted on 16/4/10 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I think it looks great. Hard work and with a design set it mind. Well done mate !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

D Beddows

posted on 16/4/10 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
plus it looks a bit like the 'Time Tunnel' which has to be a good thing

gingerprince

posted on 16/4/10 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Aren't knacker ducts just for keeping your nutsack cool?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.