Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension struts cannot be removed!
Sprytny

posted on 18/4/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Rear suspension struts cannot be removed!

Hi everyone!

I am trying to remove some rear suspension struts from a Toyota Camry, but there is a bracket which when I try to unbolt, the bolt turns but doesn't come out at all from either side. Is there something I am doing wrong here?

I will try and post pictures, but thought someone might be familiar with this problem.
Thanks
Greg

tomprescott

posted on 18/4/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Is the entire assembly moving? If so, get a rattle gun on it, or perhaps you are turning an adjustor rather than a mounting bolt - pictures would be more helpful.

Is it on the strut turret or by bracket do you mean supspension arms/subframe? I don't know anything about the camry but I know a few of the japanese cars have series of adjustment bolts on the subframe for camber/castor/toe etc.

A bird in the hand....

Sprytny

posted on 18/4/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
"Is the entire assembly moving? If so, get a rattle gun on it, or perhaps you are turning an adjustor rather than a mounting bolt - pictures would be more helpful. "

It possibly might be an adjuster. I will post pictures once I can. The whole assembly does move. What is a rattle gun, and where would I apply it? There is a subframe, but I really don't want to remove this to remove the suspension as it is hard work to get off!!

Thanks again . . .

speedyxjs

posted on 18/4/10 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
My rear hubs did this. Rubber mallet on the end of the bolt normally gets them moving.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

tomprescott

posted on 18/4/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Rattle gun (slang) for an impact wrench - usually air powered but can also be electrical. Impact wrenches can loosen stiff nuts which is a possible problem for you, the nut may be on so tight that when you try to undo it, instead of twisting the nut off its shaft, you twist the nut and shaft together....

A bird in the hand....

Sprytny

posted on 19/4/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
picture

Hi
I have taken a picture of the strut. The adjuster bracket cannot be removed; as I mentioned it turns round and round without the nut coming out. I tried the 'impacting' technique to no avail. Any ideas? Rescued attachment Photo-0044.jpg
Rescued attachment Photo-0044.jpg

Sprytny

posted on 20/4/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Strut removal

I have tried to follow the haynes manuals instructions to remove this component, but I am still struggling. Would I need to remove the bottom bracket to remove this - the nuts here seem rusty and awkward!!
boggle

posted on 20/4/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
gas axe???

or just a bit of heat??

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.