Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop cambelt change - difficulty?
novacaine

posted on 21/4/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Tintop cambelt change - difficulty?

Evening all,

i need to do a cambelt change on my venerable punto JTD

ive been looking around at the engine locking kits, are they really necessary? is it just a case of lining up all of the marks on the belt with the marks on the pulleys? ive done belt changes at college on some old engines that were out of the car and they were really easy, do i need a locking kit for a more modern diesel?

cheers

Matt

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

NigeEss

posted on 21/4/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Some of the modern engines do require use of a locking system as they do not have
Woodruff keys on the crank pulley allowing it to spin relative to the crank,
usually as soon as you slacken the big nut !
Zetecs and a few French engines that I know of, there may be others.
The 1.250 Zetec in the Fiesta has no marks at all on the crank or crank pulley and relies
entirely on a locking pin.
Someone on here may have Autodata and could give more info but if need be I can get the
info from my friends one tomorrow for you.

Nige

[Edited on 21/4/10 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

eznfrank

posted on 22/4/10 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
I previously bought a locking kit for my alfa 147 and sold the kit on again for only a quid less than I bought it, get a second hand one of the bay and just sell it on again when you're done
mad4x4

posted on 22/4/10 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
i'm trying to do a Jimny at the moment and there is no way to lock the crank to get the "big" nut slack to get the gaurd of to get to the belt.........

ended up breaking the guard.....

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

tomprescott

posted on 22/4/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Some cars seem to be designed with the sole intention of making working on them a pita. Like the peugeot expert, to change the cambelt you have to take off an engine mount!

A bird in the hand....

pewe

posted on 22/4/10 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Someone on here recommended the following if you can get suitable access:- Use a Stanley knife to cut the old belt to about half its width then slide it to the back of the pullies.
Slide the new belt onto the front pushing the old belt off the back, then cut it & pull it out.
Slide new belt all the way on.
QED.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

pgtips

posted on 22/4/10 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Someone on here recommended the following if you can get suitable access:- Use a Stanley knife to cut the old belt to about half its width then slide it to the back of the pullies.
Slide the new belt onto the front pushing the old belt off the back, then cut it & pull it out.
Slide new belt all the way on.
QED.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe

nooooo don't do it....no like that.

What about replacing the tensioners, rollers and the water pump all the same time. THAT is a good practice. Most of the manufacturers insist now to renew the above items.

For what you going to save by doing it your self after you had to buy the correct tools to do the job, and the troubles you can get in too, just not worth it.
Find you self a good local indy and let them do it. Then if it goes wrong you know who to blame.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.