Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine position
boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
engine position

hi everyone...

started to locate my blade engine in my locost last night and wasnt too sure what position it should sit at???

should the prop adaptor look as though it is in line with the tunnel or should it look like the prop will run out at an angle?

any pics of engine position would be awesome...

also how much should the sump be showing under the chassis ???

many thanks

barry

[Edited on 5/5/10 by boggle]

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

scootz

posted on 5/5/10 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry.. can't help on this one Barry, but I have to ask... what's a 'balde' engine?

It's Evolution Baby!

boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
haha....

its early in the morn....im still sleepy...

will edit...

[Edited on 5/5/10 by boggle]

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

NigeEss

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Boggle, here's a few pics of a Blade motor in a Stuart Taylor chassis.
The prop here runs straight but I was looking at one of the MK chassis' at stoney
and that had the engine parallel with the front chassis rail and the prop at an angle.
Not a bad idea as it avoids the front being so close to the top rail.

Blade install 3
Blade install 3

Blade install1
Blade install1

Blade install 2
Blade install 2

[Edited on 5/5/10 by NigeEss]

[Edited on 5/5/10 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

eddie99

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, i also saw the MK one and saw the prop at an angle. Surely you would loose a vast amount of power having it at an angle? Maybe im wrong, but my guess is if you can, to mount it in line!
Ed

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
the engine seems to fit better at an angle, and i cant see how you would loose power from the prop being mounted irregular.....the uj should keep it all good???

please give me your theory edd???

u2u me for details

eddie99

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Just would have thought that the UJ would reduce the power. Maybe this is a very little amount and not worth trying to mount it straight... As i said, probably wrong!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Most are mounted as close to the scuttle as possible (for better weight distribution, front mid-engined and all that) and at an angle simply because of the necessary clearance with the side frame rail, and of course the exaust downpipes (unless you are having bespoke pipes made.

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
i agree with you to a point, just trying to work out if it would cause a problem....i will have 3 other ujs in the prop setup and a slider, so now im thinking that these may also drain some of the power??

u2u me for details

l0rd

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
aren't they supposed to be on a slight angle?
matt_gsxr

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
do a search her on brinnel on here, and you will see why people don't run straight prop-shafts.

I don't think that these is an appreciable power loss as the UJ's are well lubed and don't get hot.

Matt

lsdweb

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Not a blade (R1) but not a lot of difference. We tried to keep the weight down by not adding too much of a cradle for the engine and bolted it straight to the chassis. This sits square (leaving the prop output at 90 degrees to the prop) although there's an angle in the vertical plane to the fixed diff. Rescued attachment header tank install.JPG
Rescued attachment header tank install.JPG

phelpsa

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
With universal joints the faces of the prop flanges should be as parallel as possible, but slightly out of alignment so the rollers are kept moving.

If they aren't parallel it can cause vibration and premature wear, but if its only a slight angle it will be negligible. Mine's a couple of degress out to give extra clearance on the top rail.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
at the mo it looks something like this

u2u me for details

Brommers

posted on 5/5/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ideally, the propshaft flanges of the diff and the engine will be parallel in both planes, and slightly offset so that there's a slight angle on each UJ as they don't like being run straight. Personally I try to keep the propshaft angles as small as possible, but I don't think there's really an issue which larger angles such as those used on the MK installation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.