Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: estimate or quote how many ££££s can it be out by
nemesis v12

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
estimate or quote how many ££££s can it be out by

a question for you all.
i put my car into a shop to finninsh off the bits i cant do (caster camber trim emitions etc) we shook hands on £4500 and that was to include IVA and registration. now he emailed me a bill for an extra £2800 for "other work required to pass IVA. WTF there must be some limit as to the over or above figure he can charge.
basically am bolloxed as if i dont pay the bill i dont get me car back????

to old to die young

cd.thomson

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
you got charged £4500 to prepare for IVA, IVA and register?

AND now he wants £7300!!

thats about the price of my whole car!!

Craig

boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like he saw you coming...but...what were you quoted for?

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

tomprescott

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think there is any statutory amount or percentage for over-run on a quote, as far as I know, it is either a legally binding document which stipulates exact figures/dates/contingencies which have to be met OR (as it sounds like you have) an informal guestimate price, unless you signed something it's likely the only ways to get your car back is to go to court or pay the bill

Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll be ok but if you didn't sign anything and he didn't sign anything then I'd be surprised.

A bird in the hand....

jossey

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
speak with your local trading standards office. consumer helpline.

if you have a written quote then you will be ok.
never agree on the shake of a hand.

speak with him to agree somewhere in the middle. if you can. otherwise raise a complaint with trading standards and name and shame them.

think about the negative feedback he would have on here if you posted the crap he did.

:O)

good luck.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 5/5/10 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Really, any additional work should have been OKd with you before it was done.

Sounds unreasonable to me. Have you got a breakdown of what you are being charged for?

Stu

big-vee-twin

If you havent authroized the additional spend I would suggest he hasn't got a leg to stand on - speak to Citizens Advice.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

nemesis v12

mines a bid more involved than the average kit mate
20" wheels
v12 engine
and 1 big pain in the bum

to old to die young

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Depends whether it was an estimate or a quote. A quote should be a reasonably firm price for a fixed scope of work. An estimate is only a "best guess" at what it is likely to cost and may be a bit out (usually requiring you to pay more rather than less!). Another £2800 does seem a bit excessive. Either way I would challenge him as long as obtaining your IVA and registration was within the defined work scope.
jossey

legal stuff.

in terms of the law. ANY work done outside the quoted figure must be agreed with the customer PRIOR to any work being started.

any work done outside the quoted figure is done outside the common law. Proof must be provided that either you agreed to the extra work or did not agree on a price.

Hope this helps.

Name and shame them

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skinned knuckles

wow, thats some big numbers! castor, camber emissions etc are mainly down to the turn of a spanner or screwdriver. was he charging per turn of the spanner!

i'd ask him to itemise his bill for you so that you can scan it in and post it on the forum and maybe some other traders on here could give you a genuine quote for the work he has carried out. if he can be presented with this then maybe he will see reason and stick to the agreed price (which to be honest seems a bit astronimic).

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

contaminated

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Holy crap - did you give him a bag of metal and nuts and bolts!

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nemesis v12
20" wheels
v12 engine

IVA is IVA. Doesn't matter what size the wheels are. We all have to sort out the geometry and there are probably more radius issues on a 7. I would also guess that your emissions would be no more difficult to address than my Italian V Twin.

BenB

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hooooooooooooooooow much!
Ye gods. I think he thinks you're a walking cash-machine.
I'd ask them to itemize the bill for the work so far! In my book if you shake on a price that's the price unless you've been a difficult client and decided afterwards that you wanted to add on new bits / do things differently etc.

eddie99

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd ask them to itemize the bill for the work so far! In my book if you shake on a price that's the price unless you've been a difficult client and decided afterwards that you wanted to add on new bits / do things differently etc.

+1. If you have the agreed price in writing. Then you should have no problems. And please tell us who has charged you so much for how much work?

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ben_Copeland

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
20" wheels
v12 engine

Did he buy the engine for you too?????

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

boggle

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
for me to charge that sort of money i would expect someone to turn up with a build your own book, an engine and some ali sheet......

you can buy a turnkey car for not much more.....

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
As an estimator, quoting for private work, I can legally increase the invoice over the estimate by an eighth (12.5%) providing I can show justification (parts or paint price increases in the intervening time). Additional costs over an eighth must be agreed by the other party.

What I cannot do is just increase the labour cost because I got my sums wrong - which seems to be the problem in this case.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

se7en

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a question for you all.
i put my car into a shop to finninsh off the bits i cant do (caster camber trim emitions etc) we shook hands on £4500 and that was to include IVA and registration. now he emailed me a bill for an extra £2800 for "other work required to pass IVA. WTF there must be some limit as to the over or above figure he can charge.

The difference between a Quote and an Estimate in law is a Quotation is a fixed fee for whatever you are trading whereas an Estimate is what it says it is an approximation of the costs for whatever you are trading. there is no fixed amount that an Estimate can go over by but the party that you are trading with has to notify you when they are going to run over the Estimate so the extras can be Ok'd by you.

[Edited on 5/5/10 by se7en]

stevebubs

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
nice cars...

linky

carpmart

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
That is a lot of money at 4.5k. An extra 2.8k is just ridiculous!

Hold your ground!

Pay what you agreed and no more!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Brommers

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a question for you all.

Depends on what exactly you shook hands on. If he gave you a firm price, and you agreed to pay him £4,500 to do all the work necessary to get the car through an IVA test and to do the test, then he's contractually obliged to do that at the agreed price. He cannot legally increase the price by 5%, 10%, 12.5% or any other percentage. He is bound at law to perform his side of the contract, and no party to a contract is entitled (in the absence of a provision in the contract allowing him to do so) to unilaterally change the terms of the contract.

If, however, the figure he gave you was merely an estimate, then contractually he's still obliged to put the car through IVA but you're obliged to pay a reasonable sum to represent the work he does in getting it there (the legal term is 'quantum meruit' - the assessment of a reasonable sum payable under the terms of a contract where the parties have not expressly agreed the remuneration payable under the terms of the contract).

Of course, since you'll have everything in writing and clearly set out, there shouldn't be any problem in proving what the terms of the contract are...

scootz

posted on 5/5/10 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

+1. If you have the agreed price in writing. Then you should have no problems. And please tell us who has charged you so much for how much work?

+ 3

It's Evolution Baby!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/5/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

James

posted on 5/5/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! An actualy life-size picture of it!

Makes it really easy to read the page... thanks Mango!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.