Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing car from Disabled tax to normal ???
Andybarbet

posted on 8/5/10 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Changing car from Disabled tax to normal ???

We picked up our car yesterday, went to tax it today & it turns out that it was a disabled tax disc car.

Not a problem, just needs changing back to normal on the DVLA system. The post office reckon we need to go to the nearest DVLA office to change it back to Normal full paying road tax.

The nearest office is 30+ miles away, its only open from 9-5 mon to fri and im at work then ! Plus, i cant drive the car there anyway because it isnt taxed ! Are the people at the DVLA who make the rules complete idiots ??

Does anyone know another way out of this other than sending paperwork off and waiting for them to change it, send me back the forms and then let me tax it. We really need the car and now we dont have any way to get to work on monday other than driving without roadtax

It really gets my back up, we have a valid MOT, valid insurance, money for the roadtax and the green new keeper section of the V5 and the DVLA still make it impossible for you to tax it.......

HEEEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPPP !

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

Madinventions

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Phone Swansea... You may be able to get a grace period whilst your application is being processed as long as it's on record somewhere?

Ed.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

iank

posted on 8/5/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a car from a garage a few years back which had been taxed as disabled. They had to trail over to the DVLA office to get a tax disc as the post office can't do it.

Don't know if it can be done by post, but you'd need to call them (via Swansea).

As for whether they are idiots, I suspect it's more a case of not caring how inconvenient their rules can be.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

24vseven

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
yea can only be changed at a dvla office i know from experence. or by post i think if yo ask the local post office to send it all off for you yo can drive the car till you get the disc back

[Edited on 9/5/10 by 24vseven]

MikeRJ

posted on 9/5/10 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
My wife has just been through this a few days ago as she bought a new car. You need to go and see the DVLA in person, and make sure you bring all relevant documentation (ring up and ask) or they won't be interested.
RIE

posted on 9/5/10 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
What a farce! You'd think they'd make it easy for someone who wants to give them money. I'd say leave it as it is, let them do the work and find you

[Edited on 9/5/10 by RIE]

dogwood

posted on 9/5/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Just re tax it online as disabled.
Let them sort out their stupid rules.

Ok I know it wont work....
but good idea though hu?????

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

Peteff

posted on 9/5/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Whoever sold you the car should have sorted this, I can't see how it is anyone else's fault. They knew it needed doing if they didn't sell it to another disabled person.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

iank

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
Whoever sold you the car should have sorted this, I can't see how it is anyone else's fault. They knew it needed doing if they didn't sell it to another disabled person.

Could only be done by them cashing in their disabled disc and buying a new one. I can see why they didn't.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scootz

posted on 9/5/10 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
It's because the V5 needs to be changed from 'Disabled' Class to 'PLG' Class first, so you need to go to a DVLA office to effect that change first.

Just the same as if you change any other recorded detail of the car.

Previous owner / dealer should have made you aware of this and had it done for you before you picked up the car.

Other than that, I can't see what all the fuss is about... this has been the case forever and the procedure has never changed!

It's Evolution Baby!

Andybarbet

posted on 9/5/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe the procedure has never changed but do you not think the procedure is a tad stupid & over complicated ??

Im a firm disbeliever in the 'Its always been done that way' type of view, it doesn't necessarily make it the correct way of doing things.

I can understand if i was trying to get disabled rates then i would expect a bit of paperwork but surely if i can prove im not disabled & just want to pay them the cash for roadtax then why cant it be done at the post office.

Luckily, i work for a company that is always open to new ideas & trying new ways of doing things, sometimes we find that actually there was a better way of doing it.
Also, my boss is allowing me to drive 30+ miles to the DVLA 'Local' office in the morning when i should be at work & i will then be able to sort this out face to face, its just an inconvenience for me, my work & my dad who has lent me his car for a couple of days, not to mention all the extra petrol costs.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

scootz

posted on 9/5/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
What I'm getting at Andy, is that the situation was brought about by the vendor not doing things in the correct order.

The rules are clear and it's hardly rocket-science. There's no ambiguity about this one... it's as clear as day! A new V5 has to be issued before it can be taxed.

Bit unfair to then label DVLA bods as 'idiots' just because someone unconnected to them has made an a*se of it!

As for another way to do it... why not fire away with any suggestions! I can't think of any that would practicably be possible. Can't be done at the PO as it's not within their remit. Can't be done on-line as it requires signatures on a physically-present legal-document. So that leaves either doing it right in the first place, or taking the documentation to the local DVLA office!

It's Evolution Baby!

Ninehigh

posted on 11/5/10 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
We could shoot you in the legs so there's no need to change it...

But yeah I had to go to Chester, and for some reason the sign was pointing the wrong way so I walked straight into next door's kitchen. While they were having breakfast...

MikeRJ

posted on 11/5/10 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Previous owner / dealer should have made you aware of this and had it done for you before you picked up the car.

Do you stick at least 6 months tax on every car you sell then? Most people don't.

Ninehigh

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Do you stick at least 6 months tax on every car you sell then? Most people don't.

If you do you can add that to the price..

scootz

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Nope... but I would have had had the gumption to let the new keeper know so there were no surprises, or offered to arrange the tax on his behalf!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 15/5/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Nope... but I would have had had the gumption to let the new keeper know so there were no surprises, or offered to arrange the tax on his behalf!

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.