Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Zetec sump
norfolkluego

posted on 13/7/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tiger Zetec sump

After the sad demise of the Zetec on Sunday we're almost ready for the transplant surgery (to a 2 litre this time) but to help avoid similar problems I thought I'd fit a better sump than our home brewed jobby. I know the Raceline ones look good but bit too expensive at the momentso the Tiger one caught my eye.

I called the guys at Tiger today about their Zetec sump, they were really helpful but said I could have problems with the starter motor fitment (Tiger can supply a slimline version). We use the usual 2.0 DOHC starter, has anyone had problems using this with the Tiger sump on a Blacktop.

edspurrier

posted on 13/7/10 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not tried that starter, but have the ERA sump and it's fine.

Make sure you fit the windage tray and get the race type pickup and baffle; check the Tiger suggested oil volume (4l or 4.25l IIRC) and remark the dipstick - the new level is still just below the baffle plate so won't foam in the crank.

norfolkluego

posted on 13/7/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
ERA alloy sump zetec - not recomended for track use ( we have used these on many track cars with no problem but ) for sale for general road use only -we also manufacture a larger pickup for these engines
That one

blakep82

posted on 13/7/10 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
if they make the sump, why would it have clearing problems with a standard starter motor? seems a bit silly to me? is it so you end up buying one of their starters?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Danozeman

posted on 13/7/10 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
The scholar ones are good. Its modified so you dont lose any capacity.

That era one sounds strange, If its no good for track use then i would imagine it hasnt got the baffle plate in.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

big_wasa

posted on 13/7/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is it cheap ?

I bought the scholar sump

Dunnell would be as good...

norfolkluego

posted on 13/7/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
The scholar ones are good. Its modified so you dont lose any capacity.

That era one sounds strange, If its no good for track use then i would imagine it hasnt got the baffle plate in.

Quote from Scholar
'The overall height is 16cm gasket face to base'
A standard blacktop one is only around 9cm

[Edited on 13/7/10 by norfolkluego]

big_wasa

posted on 13/7/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh but thats just the metal bit not the whole thing

they are designed for silvertops you would need to ask if they will fit a black top.

I think they will but will need four 20mm spacers and four bolts from a silver top to mount the windage tray..

dlatch

posted on 13/7/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
looks good value but the "not for track use" would have me worried also if you get the larger pickup they supply then along with the sump its approaching the same price as dunnel,scholar,raceline offerings
and thats not taking into account a poss new starter required either
i have been looking at the available options for months and still not made my mind up which to buy lol

dunnel is favourite atm but the raceline one does look the best

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
norfolkluego

posted on 14/7/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
As a matter of interest what do you have to do to baffle a sump, I have a friend who's a metal fabricator and welder by trade who can do whatever we want for the price of a few pints. I was thinking of baffling our short sump and adding an oil cooler to get the circulating volume back up but don't know what to do about the baffles, anyone done it?
eddie99

posted on 14/7/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I know you said the raceline one is too expensive but it is very good. Its one of the few bits on my car that have just fitted like mechano And looks good too....

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dlatch

posted on 15/7/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
I know you said the raceline one is too expensive but it is very good. Its one of the few bits on my car that have just fitted like mechano And looks good too....

eddie out of interest what starter fits using the raceline? seriously tempted

norfolkluego

well the aim is to keep the oil around the pick up pipe just doing a search on google images on baffled sump would give you an idea, with some common sense its a definatley possible solution.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 15/7/10 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm bemused by all this talk of starters not fitting...

As long as the sump doesn't have any webbing in the way, it's not going to make a blind bit of differences as to the fitting of the starter motor....

However, I would sugest moving the flywheel from your old engine to the new...the 2.0 blacktop one is *heavy* and I think slightly different...which may be where the confusion is coming in....it may be they are trying to tell you the starter won't fit your new engine...answer - fit old flywheel and clutch.

norfolkluego

posted on 15/7/10 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

As long as the sump doesn't have any webbing in the way, it's not going to make a blind bit of differences as to the fitting of the starter motor....

However, I would sugest moving the flywheel from your old engine to the new...the 2.0 blacktop one is *heavy* and I think slightly different...which may be where the confusion is coming in....it may be they are trying to tell you the starter won't fit your new engine...answer - fit old flywheel and clutch.

You could be right, we are going to use our old flywheel as it's a CVH one so even lighter, perhaps thats why they said it

eddie99

posted on 15/7/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have used the CVH starter fine with the raceline sump.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
stevebubs

posted on 17/7/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

You could be right, we are going to use our old flywheel as it's a CVH one so even lighter, perhaps thats why they said it

don't forget to get new bolts for the flywheel..

norfolkluego

posted on 17/7/10 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
New ARP ones going in, I quite like the number of toes I've got

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.