Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone have their dream Job?
55ant

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone have their dream Job?

Does anyone on hear have their dream job? im a bit disolutioned with the whole thing at the moment, im applying for jobs that i hope to be my career, im working full time hours but i work for three days then four days off, i enjoy what i do at the moment, swimming teaching, but it will never tick all the aspects of the dream job. just wondered if anyone out there has their dream job and could inspire me to keep filling in aplication forms for jobs i know Id be great at and never get a response from.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

daviep

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, kind of

2 weeks offshore 3 weeks at home.

I enjoy the work and I enjoy my time off, unfortunately there tends to be large periods of doing nothing offshore which I find hard too handle. I've been offshore on night shift for a week now and only done a couple of shifts work.

On the up side hopefully I'll be changing to a 2on 3off 2on 4off schedule shortly

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Jon Ison

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Best thing I ever did ?

Me n Mrs (she actually started it) started out own business.

T66

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I am not so certain there is such a thing as a "Dream job"....Im not talking fantasy jobs, but relatively day to day stuff here.

The two words still include the word "job".

Some folk think I have a dream job crewing a helicopter, 12 hour shifts. Nights & Days.

Its still a job ! Im approaching my mid 40s and the two words for me dont go together.

Ive had other jobs, and the alarm still sounds the same at 5am ....

D Beddows

posted on 3/8/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much used to before the b(w)ankers got too greedy and f*cked up the world economy........ I can't get interviews never mind any kind of job now (construction/shopfitting industry)

But on the bright side the bankers are making loads of money again............. hurrah

55ant

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
id love to do something like that, im pretty certain my worst job would be an office based sales job. maybe i should start being a professional lottery player, dont think anyones won that recently.

away from cars, now cycling and building TT bikes

T66

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just depends how your wired up...

I once rode the coast to coast with a load of youngsters who had never set foot outside their own street.

That was rewarding to me, seeing them marvel at the beauty of the Lake District.

Young people can be challenging, but also a great laugh.

Laughing at work is the most important part of it for me...

balidey

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say i have my 'dream job', but I really enjoy what I do (design engineer), the company I work for is a nice place. Good colleagues. Interesting work day to day. Pay is pretty good, although not huge. Its close to home. So it ticks most boxes. But as above... its still a 'job'

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

PSpirine

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
Does anyone on hear have their dream job?

Certainly not me!

grusks2

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I have my dream job, We fit handsfree/trackers/ipod interfaces/parking aid into all sorts of vehicles etc, been in the trade for about 18 years, and i own the comapny.

I dont work that had and only really do a 4 day week.

last week i had this to play with

[Edited on 3/8/10 by grusks2]

Most of the time ist BMW & Mercs and other run of the mill cars but the 458 was fun and games.

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

grusks2

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
video

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

beagley

posted on 3/8/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I don't really know if there is such a thing as a "dream" job. At first thought I would like to be the guy that gets to "break in" each new Lamborgini that comes off the production line. I was shocked when I learned that they paid people to do it! I would do it for free... anyway.... I think that might ruin driving for me if not because you do it all the time, but because you do it in a lambo all the time. Coming home to your honda civic just doesn't bring a whole lot of joy after a day in the lambo.

I would agree with balidey in that I enjoy my colleagues and my work is usually pretty diverse. I write computer software for a juice company so it keeps me mentally active, but there are days that I would rather spend in the shop getting grease and sweat everywhere.

I think that the appreciation would be lost if we all had our "dream" jobs.... good topic for this thread!

I'm not scared!!! I'm just marking my territory.

Stott

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
I had my dream job, mechanic, I loved it, but gave up as I could earn more and retrained as a spark.

Looking back it was worse than what I do now though, I do have a good number at the mo, pretty much perfect really, not worked off my feet, 50% of the year off, good wage, 8 mile from home, I like my colleagues and what I do so yeah it's good at the moment. I always think I'd like to go back on the spanners but then again, maybe not. I personally think you do need a job too, as sucky as it sounds. I'm off on't sick and it's so so so so boring...........................

FazerBob

posted on 3/8/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
dream job

I used to have one like the 'Lambo' job, only working for Lotus. I had to road-test every car that came off the line for about 10-20 laps of the test track. It's the same bit of track, day in and day out, so very monotonous, but you still have to concentrate to make sure you don't miss anything.
The other part of the job was running in the Press and VIP cars. This was on public roads, and the sort of job that everyone wanted - until it was pointed out that the majority of press cars were left hand drive, didn't have radios, and were on trade plates, so no passengers allowed.
Oh and did I forget to mention that nearly all this running in was done in November and December. But the real clincher is that you were expected to do at least 250 miles in an evening and at least 1000 during a weekend.
All this was carried out in addition to the full time testers job, and of course didn't earn any extra pay, as it was considered a privilege to hold one of the few Lotus road licences.
did I enjoy it ? - definitely. Would I do it again ? - not now, it's a young man's job.
I was gutted when I was made redundant, but looking back 10 years was enough.
Bottom line - it was a dream job, but took a lot of work and many qualifications to reach that position, and it was still more glamorous from the outside looking in.

Bob

ashg

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
I can pretty much say i have got my dream job. after being made redundant at christmas. i got a job working on linear particle accelerators used for radiotherapy. the company i work for sends me all around the world to work on them for several weeks at a time. its hard work but i have been let loose on the worlds biggest radioactive meccano set

[Edited on 3/8/10 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Irony

posted on 3/8/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have a good job. I am a exhibition designer and I do all sorts and see my designs from concept to completion. Still it is after a job and I agree with the above. I certainly wouldn't be there if I wasn't paid.

I use to know a woman at tesco's who worked on checkouts. She said it was her dream job because she got to meet new people every day. Each to their own!

RazMan

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
After spending a couple of years as a taxi driver (which rates as my worst job, I made a radical change and now I am helping to design & build a (hush hush) 600 bhp supercar prototype. I come home every night covered in fibreglass ...... but I love it!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

blakep82

posted on 3/8/10 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
F*ck no

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

dogwood

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
I'm retired.........
Best job I've ever had, Pay is crap though.

David

PS. AshG tried to explain his job to me...
I did a lot on nodding..

mistergrumpy

posted on 4/8/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have a job and at the moment I think that's a dream in itself.
The pay's alright, the hours are awkward and it definitely looks better from the outside looking in but there are cool little moments that happen although these are rapidly decreasing

Angel Acevedo

posted on 4/8/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Pretty much used to before the b(w)ankers got too greedy and f*cked up the world economy........ I can't get interviews never mind any kind of job now (construction/shopfitting industry)

But on the bright side the bankers are making loads of money again............. hurrah

Da*n...
I read SHOPLIFTING!!
Sorry...
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 4/8/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Dream job, poker or restoring old cars. Well I say old I reckon some 90's ones are old enough now..

coozer

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
No job is my dream

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

MikeR

posted on 4/8/10 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
probably - unemployed with the g/f working.

Just got an offer for a job that means 5 nights a week away from home. If it was local then i'd say yes, if it was fixed 6 month contract i'd say yes, currently struggling to decide what to do.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.