Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Strengthening fibreglass
Hadders

posted on 16/8/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Strengthening fibreglass

I have some lightweight race- spec bodywork and want to strengthen it. What's the best way to add a layer or two of matting to thicken it up?

At the moment it just looks like gel followed by a single sheet of mat then resin. The matt looks like the fibres run at 90 degrees to each other woven together. I've got other parts that are thicker and they look like they have a layer of mat all mixed up, not in neat lines. Is this what is called chopped strand mat?

Bodywork hasn't been used yet so wondering if i can just stick another layer on to add strength.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

RazMan

posted on 16/8/10 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that's the easiest way - just wash it off with acetone (to remove any contaminants) and lay up another layer of mat & resin. Wet out the old fibreglass with resin, lay a soaked layer of matting, and roller or stipple it down to remove air bubbles. It's suprising how much extra strength you get with just one layer.

Other ways to strengthen involve using resin rope or balsa sticks which can give strength in specific areas like edges or large panels.

You can always apply a flowcoat layer as a finishing layer - it adds a little more strength and makes the finished bodywork impervious to light, making it appear thicker.

[Edited on 16-8-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hadders

posted on 16/8/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Razman. Should I lay the new matting at 45 degrees to the current layup for strength or does it not matter?

What spec of mat should I use? Is there a standard thickness / weight to use for bodywork? What resin should I use?

TIA

RazMan

posted on 16/8/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I am not an expert my any means so don't take this a s gospel
It's not really important to get the direction right but if you can, try and lay it in a 'new' direction as it will help the strength a little. Just pre-cut your shapes to make things easy and quick (remember the resin has a very short working life in hot weather).
Your local body finishing supplies man will probably give you advice on the weight of mat to use - I would just use one layer of fairly heavyweight (600gm) or, if you really want to push the boat out, two layers of lightweight (300gm) for a little more strength and use bog standard poly resin. You can get really posh and go for bi-weave or even fabric but TBH that would probably be overkill for your project.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hadders

posted on 16/8/10 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Raz. Appreciate the info.

Cheers

designer

posted on 16/8/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
I once strengthened a panal by glueing strips of Balsa onto it and then glassing over it.

This, effectivley, strengthened the panel by turning the balsa into tubes.

This way might need less fireglass than covering the whole part.

trextr7monkey

posted on 16/8/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Loads of info on the East Coast Fibreglass site - based in South Shields if you are Googling-and if you want more you can just phone the guys up. They ran some courses which some folks from here went to
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Angel Acevedo

posted on 17/8/10 at 02:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I once strengthened a panal by glueing strips of Balsa onto it and then glassing over it.

This, effectivley, strengthened the panel by turning the balsa into tubes.

This way might need less fireglass than covering the whole part.

You can do small rolls of newspaper and fiberglass over them.
they only serve to form tubes which in turn increase rigidity. these cost less than the balsa

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

Benonymous

posted on 17/8/10 at 04:00 AM Reply With Quote
Just another note for your prep. If the item was a single layup then it's possible (not probable) that the manufacturers used "waxed" resin. This will leave a film of wax on the surface after curing. It would be best to give it a light sand and then a wash with resin.

When I built the carbon fibre desk for work I used release wax on two of the surfaces of the mould (top and bottom not the front) and I sanded and washed with acetone and bugger me if that still didn't shift it. I had my finish coat peel off and had to do it again on those surfaces.

[Edited on 17/8/10 by Benonymous]

Hadders

posted on 17/8/10 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. Very useful info.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 17/8/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I did a cover for a sailboat with Styrene foam covered in newspaper and after a few weeks the fumes dissolved the foam leaving a void in the cover.
I don´t know how this affected the weight of the piece as it was not important.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.