Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T9 to T5 gearbox swap
Wragie

posted on 16/8/10 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
T9 to T5 gearbox swap

Was asked this by a friend and have been trying to run it down all day.

Given that you have a T9 in a car and want to swap it for a T5 what has to be changed? And does the bell housing on the T9 bolt up to the T5 or does the gearbox side use a different bolt pattern.

Thats the important question at this stage. Not worried about the bushing or splines yet but need to know if the bell housing can just be unbolt from the T9 and bolted onto the T5 with or without modifications.

T9's are not very common here so this is a bit hard to check out.

TNX

Dave

loggyboy

posted on 16/8/10 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Good info here :
http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/technical_articles_default.aspx

Seems all engines link back to the 2000E box, and the type 5 was intended for v6s, link also gives details on the spline shaft.

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/e2000_bullet_gearbox.aspx

andkilde

posted on 17/8/10 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
What are you trying to mate the T5 up to Dave? There are tons of T5 resources available in NA, but not many bellhousings to fit them to 4 cylinder engines.

The Lima/Pinto bell bolt pattern is close to a Zetec and usable with a TIG welder and a bit of drilling and filing.

Quad 4 Rods makes nice but expensive ($500ish plus $200 for the required concentric slave setup) bells for T5 to just about anything.

Rear Wheel Drive Motorsport in the UK have decent pricing on their bells.

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/Bellhousings/Pinto-or-Cosworth-to-Borg-Warner-T5-Bellhousing/prod_15.html

Is the Zetec to T5 bell, they offer many others.

You'll need a pressure plate to suit your engine's flywheel and you may need to get a clutch disk custom made to suit your pressure plate and transmission input shaft (all the decent clutch houses will rivet a suitable splined center into any clutch plate -- you just need to discuss your needs with them) Some combinations can use off the shelf bits. You may need to have a custom oilite bronze pilot bush turned up to mate your input shaft to crank.

There are slight variations in input shaft length on US sourced T5 transmissions, you probably want a V8 Mustang T5, they're stronger, have gearing that suits a seven, have the shifter mounted in the correct position and are well supported by the aftermarket with spare parts. 4 and 6 cylinder, or truck and Jeep models have a variety of issues which are best avoided. The only downside to the V8 T5's is the slightly (1/4" or so) shorter input shaft which can require a custom pilot.

I'm currently mating an SVT Zetec to an early V8 Mustang non-world-class T5 (2.95 1st) with a hacked up cable Lima bellhousing. It's a work in progress.

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Wragie

posted on 17/8/10 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ted

I'm out on the left coast in BC. Surprisingly few T9's around here to look at.

My friend is trying to figure out how to mate a vw 16v out of a passat ( I think thats the one) to a BW T-5 . I probably should have mentioned it was a BW T5, me bad. He wants to use a T5 out of a V8 mustang on this. It has pretty good gears and would be about bullet proof. He running the same T5 in his Locost behind a Zetec with 411's in the diff.

I think he has found an adaptor that will work but it is for a T9. So I've been trying to find out if the bell housing/gearbox pattern is the same on the two. I was hoping that with medication and therapy he would forget this and go duratec but he seems 'committed' to use the vw.

Dave

andkilde

posted on 17/8/10 at 02:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how similar the T9 and T5 are, I do know the T5 is a little stronger stock and parts are much easier to find over here. T9's are fitted to Merkur's and the 4 speed "rocket" box (precursor to the T9) was fitted to old 4 speed Pintos and I think Capris back in the early 70s.

Comparing T5 and T9 bells, It's not a direct bolt up but it may be close enough to either modify a bell or make a sandwich plate adaptor to shift the holes around a bit.

T5 (V8 Mustang)

T9 ("normal" Ford 4 and Lima)

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skibikejohn

posted on 17/8/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I am using a Cosworth Yb (which would mate to a BW T5) with a type 9 gear box. I had to use a 2WD Sierra bell housing and make an adapter plate to fit it to the gear box casing as the bolt hole pattern was not the same. You can get the Type 9 hole pattern here
http://www.quaife.co.uk/sites/default/files/drawings/QBE60G%20GA.PDF
but I have had no luck finding similar diagrams for the BW T5.

arrow-engineering

posted on 17/8/10 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
bellhousings

the t9 and t5 bellhousings will not swap over, the bolt pattern to the gearbox is different. they both bolt up to the same engines but the starter position is the problem, if you fit the t5 to anything other than cossie engine with cossie flywheel the starter wont engage. there is a bellhousing you can buy to solve this problem but its 180 odd quid, ive done my own fix on this problem, it involves drilling and tapping the cossie bellhousing to position the starter so it meshes with crossflow/pinto/zetec etc flywheels
andkilde

posted on 18/8/10 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmn, Vdub...

I think Donkervoort use VW engines, might be an expensive place to start looking for adaptors.

t

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.