Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Am i mad? cat c celica
barbarianbeast

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Am i mad? cat c celica

http://copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e18s1&lotId=18879630&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

browsing the internet and found this. what am I looking at to get it going? apart from a scuff on the bumper i cant see anything wrong. they say it runs and drives too. a few days to go and it looks cheap?

SeaBass

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Weird. I'd be very careful.
Wadders

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It says in the description 'previous repair' so would guess it was cat C and then repaired before it ended up with copart. Nothing fishy really.
have watched and bid on a few TVR's on there before, but they tend to go up fast towards the end.
Also watch the charges, loading fee etc.
Saying that my mate has picked up a couple of real bargains on the more mundane stuff.
Good luck if you do go for it.
Al.

[Edited on 10/9/10 by Wadders]

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like a typical 'couldn't turn at the roundabout' job.

The suspension will have been hit so hard that the turrets will have drawn up the chassis legs (you can see that the whole front looks very gappy and 'unright'.

Walk on by!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

daniel mason

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
if your not a copart member and want it i would pay the joining fee asap as it takes days.

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it, it's bolxd

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

barbarianbeast

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Your right, I assumed the bonnet wasnt shut but it does look odd. I would be intrested to know what what it actually goes for. Must be double that at least.
Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance company assessors (I used to be one!) don't categorise at Cat C for nothing, they get less money for them at salvage and a black mark from upstairs if they get it wrong!

barbarianbeast

posted on 10/9/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
i think i'll keep an eye on that site too. stuff like this is always interesting.

http://copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e23s1&lotId=17257810&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

BenB

posted on 10/9/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd stay well clear unless it's close to you. The whole thing has "buyer beware" smeared all over it. EG the bit which says the engine starts and it will move under it's own power but they won't accept any responsibility if when you buy it wont a) start or b) move under it's own power. And where it says the description is totally up to you to confirm and they deny any responsibility for any inaccuricies! So it turns out its CatD and it's your fault.... BS....
barbarianbeast

posted on 10/9/10 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
thank you Mark I'm walking on by. This deserves a whole other thread but whats your take on this?

R8 7 grand!

http://copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e25s1&lotId=8827850&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

anyone fancy going half on a track day toy?

[Edited on 10/9/10 by barbarianbeast]

BenB

posted on 10/9/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barbarianbeast
i think i'll keep an eye on that site too. stuff like this is always interesting.

http://copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e23s1&lotId=17257810&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

I like the big oil of bike oil pissed onto the tarmac on one of the photos Looks really tempting......... not

AndyW

posted on 10/9/10 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
previous repair, why would they show a photo of inner wings/turret base, trying to show a good repair but thinking that totally bollxxxxxd
Mark Allanson

posted on 10/9/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by barbarianbeast
thank you Mark I'm walking on by. This deserves a whole other thread but whats your take on this?

R8 7 grand!

http://copart.co.uk/c2/homeSearch.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e25s1&lotId=8827850&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

anyone fancy going half on a track day toy?

[Edited on 10/9/10 by barbarianbeast]

For a car of that value to be a Cat B, something has to be severely wrong with it, possibly a loom fire or a salt or foul flood - minor dent/scratch just doesn't do it - remember there are many salvors who are 'economical' with truths.

I wrote off a Peug 306 which had a smashed gearbox and irrepairable floorpan and the rear axle partially embedded in the boot floor. it was described as 'starts and runs, will drive and reverse under its own power, all the images showed an undamaged 306. it would drive, a little, the bent driveshaft would cam the car to 3' in the air then collapse back to the ground every revolution and the rear axle would leave a trench in the ground that a ploughman would be proud of!

daniel mason

posted on 11/9/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
you could proably buy and break that celica for parts leaving you with a nice motor for a midi project!

Ninehigh

posted on 11/9/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
you could proably buy and break that celica for parts leaving you with a nice motor for a midi project!

That sounds better, thinking about it the front end might well be twisted or otherwise not straight (or they're right plonkers who didn't shut the bonnet before taking the pictures...)

As for the R8 cat b isn't allowed on the road iirc... 4.2l seven anyone?

Hellfire

posted on 11/9/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Possibly some cheap bike engines on that site too. A couple of ZX12's and even a ZZR1400

Phil

coozer

posted on 11/9/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
To answer your original Q, I dont think your mad. I think it looks a tidy motor for the money.

Well worth taking a punt on. If it turns out to be more than you can handle it would certainly pay dividends breaking it or even just passing it on.

Good luck.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

barbarianbeast

posted on 14/9/10 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for all the replies. i let it go but the last i saw it went for over £2600. link now dead. but that r8 is now 9 grand!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.