Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ADGYRO - cheap software or dodgy!?
albertz

posted on 21/9/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
ADGYRO - cheap software or dodgy!?

I have stumbled across this website recently.

http://adgyro.com/

I was just wondering what the general consensus was as to how legitimate it is....

Claims to be OEM software via download links i.e. no CDs, boxes, manuals etc

The prices for Microsoft products dont seem too ridiculously cheap for OEM, but i was moreso looking at AutoCAD Architectural or any of the Autodesk products $400 for something that normally costs around £6K+

What do you think - probably too good to be true??

BenB

posted on 21/9/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Read the small print

" * The software purchased cannot be registered with the manufacturer. Though all updates and system upgrades are available for you;

* 2.4. Printed documentation and license are not available;
"

so you can't register it and there's no license. apart from that it's a bargain

albertz

posted on 21/9/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think it may be a case of them registering legitimate software and then somehow making that same software available to the masses i.e. re-using the license over and over.

It does say somewhere that software updates and patches are available from the originator, so somehow it must 'appear' to be legit?

mmmm....usually if it sound too good to be true it isn't true!!

I have tried googling and cant find many references to it which is strange?

McLannahan

posted on 21/9/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Dodgy site with dodgy software and also Sophos doesn't like it either!

I imagine it's volume licence software and MAK (Multiple Activation Keys) - keys released to large organisations that allow many activations using the same key.

Sophos reports...

20100921 180725 Blocked web request to "bondisoftware.biz/loading.gif" (linked from "adgyro.com/pages/Support.html" for user DELLXXXXXX-PC\DELLXXXXX. 'Mal/HTMLGen-A' has been found at this website, reference ID 57447766.

brianthemagical

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
If you're thinking of going to the trouble of using that link, then why not just torrent it. Neither are legit, one's free.

Having had a shuffty around the site, i think it is just a case of it being OEM. Just like a computer manufacturer/reseller or large company have. You don't own the rights or license, but you do have a key to use it.

Personally i wouldn't but it off of them, but i have had OEM copies of XP through work, and they've been fine. It does help when it is possible to get most software free, even it is illegal and has moral sensitivity.

[Edited on 21/9/10 by brianthemagical]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 21/9/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
it may be second hand software......

there is / was a big argument over the legality of second hand software. For example, a company goes bankrupt and someone buys the software they had. The creators of the s/w claim you have a license and don't own it. The companies selling the s/w claim different.

I *think* legally the creators of the s/w are technically correct, morally i'm not so sure.

T66

posted on 21/9/10 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Do you not "know" a student...

http://www.software4students.co.uk/

albertz

posted on 22/9/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I might give it a try for something like MS Office....at $80 it is not too much of a punt considering the potential savings if Autocad turns out to be a winner.

From everyone i have asked so far (including on here) no-one seems to be saying that it is 100% dodgy, so as far as i am concerned sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and assume it is legit (especially if it is cheap and works!)

Thanks for the replies, any other comments more than welcome.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 22/9/10 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Read the site - they claim its OEM software. You can only install OEM windows software if you also buy at the same time certain bits of hardware. If you don't, then the s/w isn't legit.

Not sure about how it works with Autocad etc - but i'd bet a pound its not legit.

McLannahan

posted on 22/9/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albertz
I might give it a try for something like MS Office....at $80 it is not too much of a punt considering the potential savings if Autocad turns out to be a winner.

From everyone i have asked so far (including on here) no-one seems to be saying that it is 100% dodgy, so as far as i am concerned sometimes we have to take a leap of faith and assume it is legit (especially if it is cheap and works!)

Thanks for the replies, any other comments more than welcome.

I'd say 100% dodgy, as I hinted at earlier. In my opinion a site that hosts a virus, has to issue a document to "activate" their version of AutoCAD and skirts around the question of legality....

Wouldn't touch it with an e-barge pole.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.