Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car rear door will not open
m8kwr

posted on 7/10/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Car rear door will not open

My wifes skoda fabia rear passenger door will not open.

Central locking works, but the latch will not come up.

The only way to get the latch up is to use the door handle inside the car, but still the door will not open, but when the handle is released the latch goes back down with it.

tried opening the window and using both internal and external door handles.

Is there anything else anyone can think of trying, before I attempt to take the door panels off and seeing if there is anything obvious.

NigeEss

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like you've tried all you can. Sounds like door panel off, a potentially tricky task
if the door won't open

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Dan.

posted on 7/10/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
get someone from the outside to press the door in to the seal as you try and open it... worked a ttreat on my old 306
m8kwr

posted on 8/10/10 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Dan - i did kind of try that when I had the window open so i could still get my hands into the car...

Sounds like door panel is coming off.. oh well another thing to delay by build...

AR-CoolC

posted on 8/10/10 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
It could be the Bowden cable from the latch mech to the outer handle has stretched slightly.

Pul the outer handle and you will just be able to see the plastic clip for the cable in the back of the handle (between the handle and lock cover) pry it out and let it slip back one notch on the handle (it will make sense when your looking at it)

This may work. It's what happens when a door panel is removed (needing the Bowden cable to be uncliped) but when put back together the cable is pulled too tight before clipping it back, there should be the slightest bit of slack.

Imagine what it would be like if there were no hypothetical situations.

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/10/10 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ring the Skoda parts department and ask them to price and part number the door latch. If it starts 1J0, it is the typical Golf Mk4 problem and will probably need a new one.

This brilliant thread explains everything.

As for getting the door open (ex VW bodyshop fitter!), you need to get the pins to make contact so repeated rattling of the inner and outer handles usually gets it open.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.