Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X box
Jon Ison

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
X box

Daughter as spent the day at a friends, now wants an X box for Xmas, I know nothing.

what should I know ?

New ?
Secondhand ?

Chipped ?

whats this I read about banned ?

zilspeed

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Daughter as spent the day at a friends, now wants an X box for Xmas, I know nothing.

what should I know ?

New ?
Secondhand ?

Chipped ?

whats this I read about banned ?

Chipped = Banned (eventually) as I understand it.

Banned from the online service.

MakeEverything

posted on 24/10/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Dont get a chipped one. They self destruct and you can hardly use any of the functionality.

A new one is £199 from Tesco. Better speak to father christmas!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

austin man

posted on 24/10/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
carphone warehouse usually have them as part of a contract phone deal as a freebie so if you looking at ugrading or renewing then may be worth a look

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Jomibo

posted on 24/10/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
would say new for piece of mind, but if you do go second hand make sure its post 2007 as these have the hdmi port and also I believe had a mod to prevent the red ring of death which is usually caused by them overheating.
XBox live is usually 25 to 40 quid depending on where u buy from, (gold membership), this gives you 1 years access to playing multiplayer online and other features such as facebook and online radio etc.
If it is used lots I would recommend rechargable battery packs for the controllers.
Pre owned games are plentifull and a bargain, even new releases can be found after a couple of weeks.

thunderace

posted on 24/10/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
go to game and ask there advice
(they dont get comission so its not a hard sell)you get the same warrenty on a second hand one as a new one from game .
tell them to phone you when one comes that looks good as new as its a xmass presant.
if your buying games you can ask them for mint preowned and if theres any marks on them ask them to disc doctor them for you tell them they must look new!!
perowned is about £120 120gig
new one £150 4gig
new one £200 250 gig

morcus

posted on 25/10/10 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure you store all your reciepts safely if you buy one. I wouldn't recomend getting one because all the ones I've had have been far too tempramental and just die all the time. I gave up when the third machine broke (would just freeze at random). I'm told that newer ones have had alot of the problems with them fixed but based on personal experience and that of many people I know, I don't see how they've got away with marketing the thing.

Deffinitly get rechargable batteries for the controllers and make sure you've always got plenty charged up.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

balidey

posted on 25/10/10 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I would personally buy a new one. If you do go 2nd hand then make sure its made after 2007 as the RROD and E74 error are now covered by a free 3 year warranty. (but the security seals MUST be intact.
Definitly get wireless controllers and play and charge kits.
And don't scrimp on hard drive sizes, 20gb sounds enough, but its not, you need 60 min, 120 is better.
And I would also recomend Game as they are still pretty cheap. Good selection of pre owned games too.

Only down side is you have to pay for Live and also 'pay' using Points for download content, some is free, but most is charged.

Also to elaborate, a chipped Xbox (which will cost more than a non chipped one) is a way of it playing copied or downloaded illegal games, but Microsoft have introduced checks so when its connected to Live it becomes banned and you can no longer play on line. To be honest, 2nd hand games are so cheap these days I don't see the point in it.

There are loads of other stuff it can do and depending on your daughters age you may need to set up parental controls. There is 'chat' options and you can also watch movies on it (it upscales DVD) and also download or stream movies, music, photos to it. Its very clever, more than just a games console. Wish I had got mine years sooner as I am only new to it myself.

[Edited on 25/10/10 by balidey]

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

balidey

posted on 25/10/10 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
And to add, if she wants to go online you will either need to buy a wireless adapter (cost from £20 2nd hand to £50 ish for new latest version) or run a network cable to it from your router.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

jossey

posted on 25/10/10 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
ive had 2 chipped (fireware not actrually a chip) xbox 360 now and never got banned.

i play some games online.

you will be fine if you dont play online much or at all.

i update online each month or so.

i use my original copies occasionally if i play online alot.

my last one lasted 4 years before it died. red ring of death

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=142928

ps going wireless is easy. if you have a laptop just plug it in there and connect your laptop and that will connect to the net via wireless methods.

saves you buying a wireless adaptor if you dont wanna go online that much.

dave

[Edited on 25/10/10 by jossey]

[Edited on 25/10/10 by jossey]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 25/10/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Worth getting if only to stream downloaded movies from your PC to your TV, err so Ive been told allegedly.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

phoenix70

posted on 25/10/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
And to add, if she wants to go online you will either need to buy a wireless adapter (cost from £20 2nd hand to £50 ish for new latest version) or run a network cable to it from your router.

FYI - The new Xbox has built in wireless now.

Ninehigh

posted on 25/10/10 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Get a real one and go PS3, no paying to go online, just as good as a Xbox with the added bonus that it's not made by microsoft. Only downside is that Sony seem to have become allergic to advertising...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.