Board logo

New Tin Top Needed. Advice?
Catatomic - 7/11/10 at 10:50 AM

Hi All,
Having just sold the X-Trail for a measly piffling amount, I need a reliable car for the drive to work.
I want to bank enough for kit car build finish, which leaves me with a trifling £1300
Needs to be capable of towing small box trailer with no. 1 sons Kart.
I have seen a few 10 year old lowish mileage cars around but was wondering if higher mileage Audi or BMW would be more reliable.
Any suggestions?

907 - 7/11/10 at 11:04 AM

Hi

I think it depends on the mileage you do.

If you do a lot then an older low millage car. If you don't then a high millage newer car is ok.

My boy has just got an old Volvo with under 40k on the clock for around your budget.
Scuffs on the corners of the bumpers but it's like new inside.

It's all out there if your patient when looking.

Cheers
Paul G

Strontium Dog - 7/11/10 at 11:37 AM

Probably not what you want but I have a L reg 3ltr v6 Shogun that is converted to run on LPG. I was gonna put 12 months ticket on it and take a grand for it! It's only real downfall is it is short wheelbase and has the propane cylinder in the boot area so very little luggage room.

If your interested then we can talk about it when you call me next!

austin man - 7/11/10 at 12:15 PM

high mileage depends on the service history both VAG and BMW are strong engines the 1.6 focus will be reliable but a little underpowered. The 1.8 Audi turbo may hit the pocket when insuring my 1.8 GOLF Turbo costs £500 per annum fully comp clean licence etc.

Expensive when they go wrong

things to look for on the Audi ar
Water pump replacement
Clutch renewal
coil pack renewal
dual mass flywheel

Other than that a good tuneable car should get 220 BHP from one with a remap
My Golf gives 38 to the Gallon driven gently 24 when nailing it

liam.mccaffrey - 7/11/10 at 12:30 PM

my 99 v70 was under you budget, and had all the toys, beautifull leather interior heated seats best car ive had until I bought my volvo s40

britishtrident - 7/11/10 at 12:37 PM

You be able to find Rover 75 Diesel with about 90k on the clock for that money or an immaculate 75 2.5 petrol with 60K or less for than that.

morcus - 8/11/10 at 01:13 AM

Spend half you budget on a 20 year old car and get AA/RAC cover. Just putting it out there.

Badger_McLetcher - 8/11/10 at 01:57 AM

As long as you're not looking for performance, the focus is awesome.
I've got a T reg 1.6 which I've had for the last five years and it's taken everything thrown at it. When I got it, the lady before me had run it with no oil in it, it's been front ended by a corsa van, loaded to the brim with reenactment kit and car parts, ragged senseless til the coolant boiled, and it's still going fine. It's been knocked around quite signficantly, and now has 152,000 miles on the clock (100,000 of those by me). Can get about 420 miles out of a 50 ltr tank if motorway driving. It also corners quite nicely, but as I found to my expense once the rear end starts going, it goes viciously.
The only thing that's really gone on it is the coil pack- twice. But it's always managed to get me home.
I have to say I've become quite attached to the thing!

britishtrident - 8/11/10 at 12:01 PM

Focus handling is awful ---- rear wheels try steer the car after you turn in ---- rear wheel steering party tricks are very disconcerting no way you can drive with real precision.

Also the driving position is like an upright bike

Mondeo is a much better handling car

[Edited on 8/11/10 by britishtrident]

Badger_McLetcher - 8/11/10 at 08:34 PM

Well I have to disagree, though obviously it's a matter of opinion!

Andybarbet - 8/11/10 at 09:09 PM

SAAB ?

Reliable, lots of toys for not much money, good for towing too.

Might be worth a look, our SAAB 95 with every extra was £2000 for a very low miles one owner from new full service history, its great, drives & still looks like a new car (its 10 years old).

I reckon you could pick up a very tidy 93 for that sort of money.