Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The Police....
MikeFellows

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
The Police....

I was burgled while out for a meal on saturday night, they took a few random bits but had been all over the house.

they took Digital SLR + bags + lenses, tripod etc... 3 laptops, and ipod touch, all my winning scratch cards (about £30 worth, i save em till I have a reasonable amount then go buy a load more at once), a gucci watch and some random jewellery.

now strangely I have a dog its only a Lab but tbh he wouldnt harm anyone, im sure he barked at them but as soon as they said hello he would be their best friend (hes a sucker for strokes)

anyway i get home and call police (local number not 999, didnt seem like an emergency), they arrive in a few mins and check over the house with me take a few statements and bugger off.

sunday a forensics bobby comes and takes some finger prints and foot prints he found, takes mine and the girlfriends finger prints and off he goes.

then a bloke from CID appears and starts quizzing us like we are criminals (my girlfriend was quite upset) but i took it as him having a job to do and getting on with it.

he then turns up later on the sunday night and puts it very blankly that hes sure this is insurance fraud and his reasoning behind it is that a year ago I was pick pocketed with £750 of cash in my pocket - i point out to him that I didnt claim as i was only covered for £500 cash and it raised my premium by £400 that year.

he then tells me he is dubious to my story etc...

now without sounding like some sort of millionaire which im not, I live in a £400k house, have 3 cars im building a kit car, the house is decorated to a very high standard and the the most expensive part of my claim is repairing my hand made cedar windows which is going to be a right bleep on! so for a claim that will let me purchase around £4k - £5k worth of stuff i have the hassle of sorting a window and door!

what annoys me is the complete lack of empathy and people skills this bloke possessed, hes obviously not the brightest bulb in the box I do believe that any fool could tell its not worth the claim and if i wanted to do insurance fraud i could have picked much better items (the £6.5k tv on the wall for example, or the £8k worth of hifi equipment).

im right royally fucked off!

just a rant really, not really sure weather to complain or not

Argh!

twybrow

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Lodge a complaint.... Innocent until proven guilty! Crazy that you do things by the book, and that is how you are treated. I would go back and discuss with the officer concerned, and mention the upset he has caused. If he can not find a soltuion to stisfy you, then lodge a complaint with the IPCC (the police complaints group, not the climate change panel!)...
nick205

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Without a doubt you need to take it up with them and resolve it to your satisfaction that your not logged on any database for fraud etc. They (the police) have to back up allegations and prove you're in the wrong don't forget.

You don't want to get refused insurance in the future over this!

designer

posted on 9/11/10 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
It's obvious the Police have very little to do around your area. In Leeds they don't turn up, they just give you a crime number for the insurance.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely complain. As soon as possible, write down everything you can remember about all the conversations/meetings you have had (including dates and times, and names/numbers of any police officers) so that you can refer to it if necessary. Stick to your guns. No way you should have to roll over because they are too lazy and/or incompetent to do their job properly.
mistergrumpy

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
If you dont agree or didnt like his attitude then ring his boss and speak to him or else if you want him under a formal investigation put an official complaint in. I would suggest the first course in this instance. These are only people at the end of the day just like the window cleaner and if he did a bad job then you'd follow it up I expect. Just give them a chance to correct themselves if they wish and ask for their reasoning.
Are you sure it was CID by the way? You wouldn't get them out to a burglary around here for love nor money.
Anyway, that's my advice which I hope is reasonable before all the police haters come out telling you to get a lynch mob and burn the station

[Edited on 9/11/10 by mistergrumpy]

cadebytiger

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
It is exactly that kind of behaviour that gets the police a bad name. What ever happened to the friendly bobby?!
handyandy

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
That is horrendous

Tho the reason for the Police reaction is probably due to it being easier for them to accuse you than go and find the real criminals, means they can close the case alot quicker etc...
Makes my blood boil when things like that happen to folk who obviously worked hard for what they have( you), yet the scumbags that do these crimes if ever caught get a slap on the wrist & told "don,t do it again" what a joke

Lodge a complaint as suggested by others.

cheers
andy

MikeFellows

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I wasnt planning on going down the formal route immediatly.

First port of call is to calm down a little and then speak to his supervisor (ive calmed down a lot since sunday)

its unbelievable it really is

balidey

posted on 9/11/10 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I presume you have started looking for your stuff on ebay, Cash converters etc?
Would be handy if you could go to the police with evidence its not you

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

Confused but excited.

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sue the lazy, useless tw@t for slander!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

daviep

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Sue the lazy, useless tw@t for slander!

American stylee

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

chrisxr2

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
outrageous

what the hell. id be raising a complaint as well, bet if you'd accused him of being bent and on the take he wouldnt of like it either. I mean if your going to commit insurance fraud you would do it for more than 5 grand and wouldnt give yourself a window to repair. HIS NAME ISNTT CLOUSEAU IS IT??

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

interestedparty

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I can see why you would be upset att he behaviour of this one policeman, but not sure why you would title the thread The Police....

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

omega 24 v6

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I presume you have started looking for your stuff on ebay, Cash converters etc?

AHHHH you mean do their job for them.

I'd not mess about I'm afraid.
Formal complaint right away if you believe the guy was insinuating you were involved. Even at best he was uncourteous/helpful at a time when you need him to be.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

blakep82

posted on 9/11/10 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, so he comes up with that, its a closed case for him, he get a pat on the back, and screws up you life. not cool.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Humbug

posted on 9/11/10 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, so he comes up with that, its a closed case for him, he get a pat on the back, and screws up you life. not cool.

It's not really case closed - if he genuinely thinks it is dodgy he should be pursuing it. Sounds like a "can't be @rsed" attitude by the copper, TBH

graememk

posted on 9/11/10 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
call him back and suggest he's part of the gang and is covering up for the guy that broke in.

[Edited on 9/11/10 by graememk]

Steve Hignett

posted on 9/11/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just go and get a lynch mob and burn the station

mac1ZR

posted on 9/11/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Dont mess about, just write a letter of complaint to your areas Chief Constable
jlparsons

posted on 9/11/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
No messing about with speaking to his supervisor, they'll just close ranks. Make a complaint to the IPCC, read this leaflet on how:

www.ipcc.gov.uk/htmac_leaflet.pdf

oldtimer

posted on 9/11/10 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in the 'speak to his supervisor first' group. I had a very similar thing happen many years ago. Broken into in London, various goodies taken, called police, brief look about and as leaving , one of them turns round and says - " looks like it's an insurance job" and off they went with me speachless at the door.

I phoned the station straight away and spoke to their boss - we weren't even insured - and they were back in minutes doing some serious groveling. Hated being made to feel like I was the criminal....

steve m

posted on 9/11/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
We really do need a Rant section!

You definatley need to speak with higher ranking officers, as this could impeed your claim

I had a garage fire earlier this year, and no mention of "fraud" was mentioned by any of the firemen, insurance loss adjusters, But when the cleaning team turned up to do a deap clean, whole house took 2 Ladys one day, yet my single garage took 2-3 blokes 3 days, one of the guys was talking about the damage we had had, and said some people set fire on purpose, so they can claim, Yet fire is not somthing you can stop !!
Well untill the blue lights start flashing on your driveway

The lad had told me they had been to a couple of dodgy house fires to clean up were possible, and one distraught owner said " i never new it would cause so much damage" and admitted he did it

I wonder how his claim progressed

Steve

T66

posted on 9/11/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
It appears to me the first contact with the police was that of recording whats happened ?

The second contact was with soco ?

You dont appear to have a beef with them ? They appear to have done what is required , ie recorded the crime and checked your home for evidence ?

If they were impolite or unprofessional then you can take this further by contacting your local duty inspector to discuss the matter.

Complaints of any sort, whether informally done by you ringing and speaking with the Inspector (or any supervisor) are not swept under the carpet, and they will look into the matter for you.

If you wish to make a formal complaint then again the local inspector can commence this process for you, whatever the biffs on here say about the police, when it comes to recording complaints, either informally and locally resolved , or formally to your satisfaction these matters are taken very very seriously.

The police are very good at recording these incidents, they will not sweep under the carpet, they wont start stopping you in your car and harrassing you, or grass you up to insurance companies.

Your beef appears to be with the guy accusing you of stealing your own property , or at least pretending to ?

If this has happened in the manner you desrcibe, I can see why your frustrated. I very much doubt the assertions made are based solely on you losing £750 last year, seems ridiculous to me.

I would ring the local Inspector to start with and have a chat , you will find the course of action will be very much lead by yourself and how you would like to see it resolved, and not as suggested here involve police cover ups and rank closing, that is total nutsack spoken by people who think they know what they are talking about.

That aside if your burglar left no evidence in your home, nobody saw him doing it, and he didnt walk into the local nick and admit it, then your burglary is unlikely to get detected. That is not the fault of the police or your neighbour, but you are most certainly entitled to professional and polite service, if you have not had that , then consider my earlier suggestion.

Good luck.

Maybe you might want to add a result if you get one.

dlatch

posted on 9/11/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
bad luck there

tbh i am amazed you even got the coppers round at all,
standard response round my way is a crime number and little else.

maybe you should get a big angry dog friend for the lab would like to see any burglar get past my collie x

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.