Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tuning a 1.3 crossflow engine?
myeates

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
tuning a 1.3 crossflow engine?

hi all its got to that time of year where i will be needing to tinker with a few parts of my car so thought about doing a bit to the engine while im at it.

my engine is a 1300 crossflow standard tune apart from fuel injection so getting about 75bhp i want to keep with crossflows but looking to tune this one a little and dont really want to change to a 1600, what are the best things to do to it without getting into changing pistons etc,

was thinking 1.6 gt head with the larger valves and a better cam shaft but unsure what cam to use?

thanks in advance

Mark

clairetoo

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd start with the head - bigger valves , double valve springs , steel rocker posts and a thorough porting session , then a bit more compression (deck the block , but that will mean piston mods......which will be needed anyway with the sort of cam I would fit )
Then.............a lightweight flywheel , duplex cam chain and a full balance.............

Sorry , I can get a bit carried away with crossflows...................

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

thunderace

posted on 21/11/10 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
just get a 1600 engine i dont see any point in wasting money on a 1300cc one when it would be cheeper going 1600cc than spending 100s on a 1300cc engine.most of the parts on you 1300 engine will fit the 1600.
Nash

posted on 21/11/10 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
where to start:

Just taken this out of my Indy (I've gone Zetec)

A3 Cam, oversize pistons, new shells, twin choke webber, Its done approx 3000 miles since crank up rebuild. It is / was a great little engine but it is a demishing returns exercise. You will spend a lot of money for very little return. Thats why i went Zetec.

...........Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

norfolkluego

posted on 22/11/10 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
Why would you want to stick with a 75bhp 1300 Crossflow when you can drop in a Zetec at 130bhp without touching it and pick them up for £50. Slap on a couple of decent manifolds and bike carbs and you've doubled your engine power, why stay with a 50 year old engine. What would it cost to get 150 bhp out of a 1300 Crossflow, a lot I suspect, easy out of a 2 litre Zetec.

[Edited on 22/11/10 by norfolkluego]

AndyGT

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I agree with everyone that bang4buck the zetec etc is a better option but myeats wants to fettle with what he has. Yes it is an old engine if you date it alongside a pre-crossflow. But he wants to know what to do with what he has.

I personally think that not wanting to change pistons is a counter-productive measure as this is where you can get some of the best gains in bhp. Coupled with this, I imagine that a good BCF3 spec cam is a good measure as this is the hottest cam you can fit without modifying pistons. Fitting vernier pullies would allow you to get the most out of the cam too. Decking etc would surely bring the valves closer to the pistons which means more expensive piston mods and potentially weakening them? Porting can be done at home so is cheap and rewarding. The fitting of a steel rocker post would just make things more solid up top for higher revs as this can be a weak area. Double-valve springs will keep things more precise but will put more load on a standard rocker cover. Bigger valves is great to help the engine to breathe but don't go too wild as xflow heads have a tendency to crack between the valves. But if you want ultimate power then why not?

Hope this is helpful but it is only my experience and opinion. Plus I feel that this is more in-line with the locost ethos.

Good luck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyGT

posted on 22/11/10 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
U2U sent about engine

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
myeates

posted on 22/11/10 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly Andygt that's what I want to do, I did think about going zetec but didn't want to mess around with the bodywork lines of my car plus I prefer the crossflow, I'm not after 150bhp just a small bit more to improve a bit, I'm tempted to buy a spare engine and slowly build up to the spec I want so may just do that with a 1.6 ?

Basically I like crossflows an want to stick with them for now

Nash what have you done with your crossflow you have just taken out?

D Beddows

posted on 22/11/10 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you're interested I've got a stage 1 (I think...) unleaded GT head with steel rocker posts etc which is an ideal head for a 1300 and has had VERY little use and a lightweight flywheel which takes a standard type clutch I'm looking to sell........ u2u me for prices

Oh and while I think about it I've got a set of new 1100 pistons too.......

[Edited on 22/11/10 by D Beddows]

Nash

posted on 24/11/10 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry chaps not been around for a few days. I have replied to all the U2U's re my engine. I didn't post with a view to selling the x-flow but I am open to offers:

Spec:

1300 GT engine
Twin Choke Webber (If I were keeping it I would fit a manual choke to this carb and refurb it)
681F Block
A3 cam
Unleaded hardened valve guides fitted
+90 pistons (rebored at the time obviously)
4 branch manifold
Shortened Sump

I put the car on the road in Early June 2010 and I have done approaximately 3000 miles in it. Only reason I'm changing it is because I want the Zetec power. The x-flow cost quite a bit to refurb but I know them well from my F2 BRISCA stockcar days a lifetime ago when the x-flow was the weapon of choice! Yes I am that old

Discuss.................... Neil

[Edited on 25/11/10 by Nash]

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.