Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cat Flaps and draughts
stevebubs

posted on 26/11/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cat Flaps and draughts

Currently got a very draghty staywell cat flap in the front door.

Leaks wind in like nobody's business..

Currently get over this by putting a tea towel over the flap, but the cat knocks it off every time she goes through.

Any recommendations on a decent cat flap or a way of blocking it off that will still allow the cat access..

AndyW

posted on 26/11/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
duck tape the tea towel to above the flap so it stays in place? Luckily ours in on back door and we have internal porch but you can still feel it if the internal door is open
snapper

posted on 26/11/10 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Feed the cat till it gets wedged, it will act as a draught excluder

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

chrisxr2

posted on 26/11/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
same problem

our back door leads into the living room and our cat flap is as draughty as hell. No advice how to reduce the draft sorry.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

StevieB

posted on 26/11/10 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
My cat just seems to hibernate for the winter.

Goes out for 10 mins a day for a stretch and take care of a bit of 'business', then back inside and goes to sleep until the next day.

I can be a bit jealous when I'm defrosting the car of a morning and watch him saunter off upstairs to crash on my bed for the day

interestedparty

posted on 26/11/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you just need a new cat flap, unless they actually get blown open by the wind,, they are ususally OK

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/10 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty
Perhaps you just need a new cat flap, unless they actually get blown open by the wind,, they are ususally OK

Nope...had several Staywell ones and they're all crud at keeping the breeze at bay....

(Also had to put a stair gate up into the hall to stop the dog ripping it off it's hinges every 5 minutes...his head goes out OK, but when he brings it back in, he just rips it apart)

RichardK

posted on 26/11/10 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not low cost but saw some remote control last time I was in pets at home last time they are the ones that have a transponder on the pets collar and the thing open when your pet approaches, quite neat but thought they were quite dear.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 26/11/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I put a cat flap on the shed door, put cat out at night and straight into shed on her blanket. Beats a cat flap on the front door any day. Maybe the cat flap you are using is just crap and you should try a different company? Seen the ones at pets at home they do look the bees, but are a bit on the pricey side.
owelly

posted on 26/11/10 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Can you craft a box around the catflap and fit another catflap as a secondary door. Unless two flatcaps let in twice as much breeze???

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 26/11/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Not low cost but saw some remote control last time I was in pets at home last time they are the ones that have a transponder on the pets collar and the thing open when your pet approaches, quite neat but thought they were quite dear.

Cheers

Rich

Had one of those. Dog broke it in 2 days. Hence the stairgate

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/10 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
I put a cat flap on the shed door, put cat out at night and straight into shed on her blanket. Beats a cat flap on the front door any day. Maybe the cat flap you are using is just crap and you should try a different company? Seen the ones at pets at home they do look the bees, but are a bit on the pricey side.

It's from Pets At Home.

It's Crud.

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman

It's from Pets At Home.

It's Crud.

Can anyone recommend a decent one?

stevebubs

posted on 26/11/10 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Can you craft a box around the catflap and fit another catflap as a secondary door. Unless two flatcaps let in twice as much breeze???

Thought about this but would make opening the front door tricky....I'm not as thin as I used to be.

Heavy curtain to replace the tea towel is currently favourite....

Ninehigh

posted on 26/11/10 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
How about a heavy bath towel? We have the same problem. Wind sometimes blows it open but I think half the problem is also the letterbox....

ChrisW

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
What about one of those fan heater things like they have over the doors in shops?
RazMan

posted on 26/11/10 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
We had a magnetic doggy flap which held it closed (Yorkie so like a large cat) and that was pretty good at stopping draughts. Pets at Home stock them I think.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

SteveWalker

posted on 27/11/10 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK

Cheers

Rich

We had one of those. They still let the wind in around them, although they don't blow completely open at least!

Our cat at the time was forever removing his collar, so it cost us a fortune in transponders - we've recently got two kittens and we've replaced the flap with a different make, but that reads their microchips so there's nothing to lose. There's still quite a breeze though.

The best I've seen was a video of a homemade one - the cat had to pass through a short tunnel before reaching the flap. One side of the tunnel was illuminated and the other was translucent, allowing a camera to feed a sillouette to a computer. The computer used image recognition software to determine whether the cat was carrying anything in its mouth or not before allowing it in ... very clever!

SteveW

[Edited on 27/11/10 by SteveWalker]

Ninehigh

posted on 27/11/10 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
The best I've seen was a video of a homemade one - the cat had to pass through a short tunnel before reaching the flap. One side of the tunnel was illuminated and the other was translucent, allowing a camera to feed a sillouette to a computer. The computer used image recognition software to determine whether the cat was carrying anything in its mouth or not before allowing it in ... very clever!

SteveW

[Edited on 27/11/10 by SteveWalker]

Linky please if you find it again
You can see a "busted" look on our cat's face when I find her with a small bird in her mouth

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.