Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Credit card fraud
Davey D

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Credit card fraud

Has anyone here been the victim of Credit card fraud? I always hear about it happening to other people, but it really sinks in when it happens to yourself

i was just doing some online banking at the weekend, and noticed a transaction for about £1100 with BestBuy on my Credit Card. Ive not purchased anything from them ever, and definately havent bought anything for that price recently from anywhere else.

This Credit card gets very little use at all, and the only other thing ive bought on it recently is an xmas gift for my wife from Beaverbrooks where i actually purchased in store using chip&Pin. The Rogue transaction occured 2 days after my purchase from beaverbrooks. Is it possible that someone from there could have used my details, or could it have happened some other way?

They did take my name, address details etc when i bought it.

Ive contacted BestBuy, and my credit card company. My CC company are sending my a letter to sign so they can go ahead and investigate/reclaim the money.

Is there anything else worth doing? im assuming ill need to destroy this card, and get a replacement. Is it worth contacting the police, or will nothing be gained from it?

flak monkey

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The bank will deal with the police.

Dont worry about it. I have had it happen several times over the years and its only taken a couple of days to sort out and get the money back in my account. The bank has always been very good. Thats with the Halifax.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

dan_g8

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Last month someone stole my details and spent about £1000 on my credit card last month, ive been told that i have to pay it off and they will refund me when the payments have been investigated. oh yeah got to pay it off on christmass eve !!! looks like im going to have to sell my build.

Dont think there is anything else you can do, the credit card company seem to sort everything out.

bimbleuk

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Yes recently my Barclaycard was maxed out with an account transfer. Not a purchase! So how the hell someone was able to authorize this I don't know. After 3 weeks it was sorted but I didn't get any sort of explanation from Barclays. I had to deal with the foreign help desk which was frustrating.
Davey D

posted on 20/12/10 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Im with Halifax, and have only been bealing with british people so far... makes it so much easier/pleasant when you dont get put through to a foreign call centre where your struggling to understand them
mds167

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Yes, even though you made a chip & pin purchase, if they took your card number (with or without security number form the reverse) they can put it through as a 'customer absent' transaction which doesn't require a PIN. This is nomally used when you make a purchase over the phone or thorugh the internet.

Follow your card company fraud procedure and get a refund.
They should get the police involved.

The exact same thing can happen on debit cards so check those statements people, there are scum out there....

As for Dan_g8's issue - sounds unusual - if oyu've stipulated it is fraud and have signed a declaration they should not charge your acocunt. Instead, if they don't think it is a fraud, they'll add it to your acocunt after the inestigation.
Kick up a stink - you shouldn't be disadvantaged by a crime...

twybrow

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I had a clall last week, asking me if the transaction currently being attempted in Columbia was in fact me... Errr, no. 4 days laters I had a new card, and had been through every transaction with my bank to confirm if it was me or not. Job done.
greggors84

posted on 20/12/10 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I used my Egg Money credit card for a hire car deposit in France this year, within 2 minutes I had a call from a automated service checking that it was me, very efficient!

Also when I signed up for a Abbey credit card 2 turned up through the post, I phoned up to cancel one as was told that it had a £500 balance transfer from a random card, ended up taking a few weeks to sort out but they eventually cancelled it.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Madinventions

posted on 20/12/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Very common unfortunately, but don't worry about it. Happens a lot, especially this time of year.
I'm with Lloyds TSB and when it happened to me I got the money refunded while I was still on the phone to them, and new cards arrived within 2 days.

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Thinking about it

posted on 20/12/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I had it about 10 years ago. Opened my statement expecting to see zero balance and saw three transactons totaling £2700. Two at Crawley car auctions and one from Tesco. It was in the days before chip and pin and the card must have been swiped and copied. All sorted by MBNA no fuss.
nick205

posted on 20/12/10 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Experienced this last year where someone emptied our savings account into our joint account then the whole lot right up to thw overdraft limit was paid out to "Snowball" in a single transaction. SWMBO got a right panic on (I played it cool - well tried to).

Couldn't fault Alliance & Leicester on their handling of it TBH. All monies reinstated within 48 hrs and charges removed for going into the overdraft. The only gripe I'd have is that we never got an explanation of how it happened - I suppose that's standard practise though (?).

We did close the accounts and open new ones with another bank - not sure this was necessary really, but we just felt a bit more distanced from the event.

Ninehigh

posted on 20/12/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, Beaverbrooks will have some explaining to do...

My brother's got this at the moment, his account's been closed while the fraud team are investigating why £2k went INTO his bank!

martyn_16v

posted on 20/12/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
The only gripe I'd have is that we never got an explanation of how it happened - I suppose that's standard practise though (?).

They may not know to be fair.

I had my bank account (not credit card) done over about 18 months ago. The bank picked it up before I did and contacted me. Apparently 'I' had tried to sign up for telephone banking twice unsuccessfully before managing it on the third attempt, and then started transferring money out of my account £500 at a time.

What worried me about it was that it wasn't just a case of nabbing the card details, that's easily done. They would have had to have known enough about me to be able to convince the bank over the phone that they were me I'm not usually inclined to give away details on iffy websites and the like, so I'm still not sure how they got the details.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.