Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top Gear
LBMEFM

posted on 27/12/10 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Top Gear

I spent last night thinking about posting how boring Top Gears becoming but I thought I will probally never be allowed on the site again for critising the supposedly holy grail of motoring programs. But heartened by an earlier posting I see many people are now finding it tedious. Format for special: Three cars bought cheaply, go to unknown area, keep bumping in to each other, fake a few breakdowns, get worried about dangerous situations that the BBC would never be allowed to get the presenters involved in..................me fall asleep. Format for regular program: Race around the track in a super car smoking with tyres, Clarkson will tell you how bad it is, but will end by saying it's the best car he has ever driven or the following week will test another car saying how brilliant it is, but hate it, followed by the non-news spot, celebrity in a car, section of the program doing somthing connected to motoring but in the the same format each week and then on that bombshell we all fall aseep. I used be a great fan of the program but it's become stale, Clarkson is the head boy at school all talk, can qoute every Ferrari model number but does he really understand cars or even how they work, Hammond's the little cuddly fellow there for the girls and May the geek who the others take the micky out of. Come on BBC, they are good presenters give them some fresh material, some viewers still have a few brain cells, maybe for a change guest presenters could be used, you could have the Chuckle brothers or Timmy Mallet one week to raise the sophistication level. It would be good to see it as a light hearted and fun motoring program again and to rise above the tedious slapstick chav's program it's becoming. Oh well that's my opinion time now to keep my head down................

[Edited on 27/12/10 by LBMEFM]

[Edited on 27/12/10 by LBMEFM]

T66

posted on 27/12/10 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
When I watched the Namibia desert special last year, I honestly laughed from start to finish, but I find myself now losing interest with the same format.

Clarkson, May & Hammond are all funny guys, but their starting to look like flogging a popular theme now, it needs changed.

It is obviously staged, and while bits are funny , last nights program had me reaching for the laptop -

5/10 from me.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/12/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
get worried about dangerous situations that the BBC would never be allowed to get the presenters involved in

I dont this was scripted at the gas station in the southern states http://www.fquick.com/videos/Top_Gear_Goes_to_Alabama/1263

LBMEFM

posted on 27/12/10 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
One off-do you really think that they were in real danger in Iraq?
designer

posted on 27/12/10 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Totally agree, it's become rubbish. It's a modern Three Stoges, and we know how bad they were!

It's a vehicle for Clarkson. Hammond, with his sickly smile and his "sorry's" is a weird little man, and very sad.

May is just there to give armunition to the others.

Never really watched it all the time, now do not even make an attempt to.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 27/12/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM

Do you really think they were ACTUALLY in Iraq?

FrankP

posted on 27/12/10 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Guys,

Are we taking things a bit too seriously?

if you dont like it you there is a button called off- you can use it then either talk to your family of go out for a pint!!

If enough people do this they wll take it off and put on some period drama for you...

Have a happy new year

Frank

JoelP

posted on 27/12/10 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankP

if you dont like it you there is a button called off- you can use it then either talk to your family of go out for a pint!!

that would be like divorcing the wife before you are thoroughly sure you've had enough - you keep watching in the hope that it will improve.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

richard thomas

posted on 27/12/10 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Don't want to switch it off.....disappointed that my once favourite programme is getting very boring and just want it to be better.

posted on 27/12/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I haven't watched an episode for over a year now, so yes, I do know where the "off" button is.

It used to be a program I never missed.

Occasionally I hear people raving about it down the pub, but usually by the sort of people
that would call out the AA if they got flat tyre.

Paul G

dogwood

posted on 27/12/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
With a load of crap on TV over Xmas this year,
I was really looking forward to Top Gear last night.

Very disappointed......
I't could have been sooooo much better.
Even with their predictable humour, I have found some of their programs very funny.
But last night I couldn't take it any more, and actually turned it off....

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

bob

posted on 27/12/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I ended up having a chat with Mrs bob before the program was half way.

This is serious, maybe a letter to the the beeb is in order.

and yes its all staged even the gas station in the deep south of the good old US of A special.

fha772

posted on 27/12/10 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to see them take a challenge seriously, I doubt any of them is capable of building a car, that would be up to, let's say for arguements sake, competing in the PPC £999 Challenge.

I used to watch it every week, but after the lorry driving challenge, I've watched it less and less...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

RazMan

posted on 27/12/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Of course it is all carefully scripted, contrived and predictable - but it is surely meant to be that way isn't it?
I cannot understand why everyone is getting so serious about the program. I mean it's quite unique and includes the odd car 'test' and some (ok quite a lot) contrived slapstick humour but it is not meant to be anything else, and judging from the viewing figures, compares well to a lot of other comedy programs. If you want a serious car program then you can always go for 5th Gear or similar things on YouTube.

[Edited on 27-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 27/12/10 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I think the problem is that it USED to be compulsive viewing and it's the steady loss of form over the past 3 years that folk are picking up on.

The dicking about used to be so subtle and seemingly natural... it's now too contrived and un-natural which acually makes it annoying!

It's Evolution Baby!

The Venom Project

posted on 27/12/10 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I think its pretty irresponsible allowing them into Iraq anyway, how much time was spent making sure they were safe, I reckon the BBC must really be struggling if they need to do this :-)

When its Gumball 3000 or Bullrun, now that's entertaining, this is just staged rubbish.

A real pity, I used to look forward to Top Gear, now I can just take it or leave it.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

Neville Jones

posted on 27/12/10 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
People are blaming the BBC for this show?

I recall that the show is made for the BBC, by a company that Clarkson owns. So content is all down to Clarkson and friends. BBC just pay an awful lot of money for this stuff. Part of the cost cutting exercises, and cutting down overheads by 'contracting out'.

GMPMotorsport

posted on 27/12/10 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Moan, moan, moan. I thought it was a laugh but then again I don't take life that seriously

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 27/12/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Glad its not just me that thinks its become a crock of shite then.

LBMEFM i thank you for what was in my opinion a perfect summary of it.

[Edited on 27/12/10 by CRAIGR]

Wadders

posted on 27/12/10 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Could be worse you lot...... for the sake of peace and harmony iv'e just had to
endure the Eastenders xmas special......AAAAAAAGH what a depressing crock of sh#te

MikeRJ

posted on 27/12/10 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I spent last night thinking about posting how boring Top Gears becoming but I thought I will probally never be allowed on the site again for critising the supposedly holy grail of motoring programs. But heartened by an earlier posting I see many people are now finding it tedious.

OMG, I found Top Gear tedious! Quick, to the internet!

The Baron

posted on 27/12/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion….

I have to agree that the format of the show has lost its shine to the extent that it has now become totally predictable (the show has as well now). Clarkson, May and Hammond are credible journalists and broadcasters, but last nights long awaited babble was almost degrading to the reputation which they have built over the years.
Do they really believe that the general public would think that you could enter Iraq ‘unannounced’ etc………

Then there’s the back up car, which ‘is always the worst car in the world’ but always seems to finish………yawn yawn…….

Personally, I think that Clarkson, has started to believe his own hype, and forgotten what made the show good in the first place. Don’t forget that they made some fantastic ‘specials’ Vietnam, Namibia to name a couple. It now just seems to be poorly scripted, and badly acted by 3 blokes who are not actors.

I didn’t even bother seeing the end.

Sorry.

B

matt_gsxr

posted on 27/12/10 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched it on iPlayer.

I don't particularly mind them making them contrived. Buying a BMW with a known blown head gasket is good fun for a story line. The problem is that I start doubting if any honest things that happened. Do you think James May really got knocked over or was it a stunt?

It would be nice if the BBC could have a new (real) car based programme, one that is factual, like the old version of this show, or maybe like 5th Gear. This could be in addition to Top Gear (which is clearly a success, but doesn't fill the right gap for me). Maybe the viewing numbers wouldn't be that great, but that's why we pay a license fee.

Matt

sonic

posted on 27/12/10 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
sour grapes over the Stig i think,they get there faces famous and he has to remain unknown
StevieB

posted on 27/12/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
quote:

Do you really think they were ACTUALLY in Iraq?

They undoubtedly were in Iraq, but I reckon they went out with plenty of support and backup and were back behind military lines before darkness fell nice and safe.

Same goes for all the other dangerous places they were in - likely they were long gone from these areas way ahead of darkness.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.