Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: American Hot Rod on Quest
2cv

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
American Hot Rod on Quest

Anyone else hooked on this series. Shown each weekday at 7.00pm on Quest. A friend of mine told me about it and warned me that it was addictive. he was right!!
femster87

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
haha, guilty!
marcjagman

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Seen them before and repeated too often. Stopped making new ones when Boyd died, mind you the programme died long before that.
theconrodkid

posted on 11/1/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
imho it,s an advert on how not to run a company,how not to treat your staff and how to ring cars.
it gets a bit samish after a few episodes.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

chesney321

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
if i ever wanted someone to paint a car of mine it would have to be charlie.boyd was ok but dwayne did my head in.made some really nice cars though.
wilkingj

posted on 11/1/11 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Agree... on How NOT to run a company!

Lovely cars, but what a bunch of Dweebs!

If I had those people with those skills working for me, I would ensure they were treated better, and also acted more professionally. They are seriously skilled car builders.

Still Its a TV entertainment probramme, and as such does exactly that!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locogeoff

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit to watching it, though the repeats are getting bit tiresome now but still beats the rest of the pap on at the same time. The following program American Chopper probably suits my custom scene interests better however the constant arguing actually grates on my nerves at a time I just want to relax.
marcjagman

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
imho it,s an advert on how not to run a company,how not to treat your staff and how to ring cars.
it gets a bit samish after a few episodes.

Boyd did go bankrupt, twice, thats why he sold the wheel company to bail himself out.

StevieB

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I think the most amusing aspect was that his wife AND ex-wife both worked for the business.

That's just asking for trouble in every way, especially when one was in charge of HR and the other looked after the finances

se7en

posted on 11/1/11 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
The only true engineer they had there was the old boy, Roy. I know he slept half of the day but when he put his mind to it he could turn out some wonderful work. I remember one episode when one of the other guys said that it would take him half the day to turn out a plate. He asked Roy to do it for him and within 10 minutes he had the plate made with strengthening rib, folded etc.

I don't think that I could have worked there with Dwayne, I would be up for murder after the first day.

As for the sister show, staring the dysfunctional family, what a waste!

Tom

[Edited on 11/1/11 by se7en]

StrikerChris

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'm bored of it now,but i admit i was hooked first time round.they turn out some fantastic cars but if you look between the lines they cut corners too.i've seen them put filler over welds on a chassis to make them look neat,use more moneys worth of filler on the body than my striker cost before they paint it,and then have to wet sand it after painting to get rid of orange peel!!i'd like to think given the time,their facilities,as many new parts as i want,i'd give them a run for their money,bar the old guy roy!
the interior guys are impressive,now thats a corner of the market i reckon could make money over here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 11/1/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
i prefer the following of orange county choppers straight after it!
but yes, both of them are quite entertaining!

kj

posted on 12/1/11 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I love some of the cars, the old boy Roy passes away in one of the shows (not on scren) but sad.
I must admit some of the american shows don't give a t*ss about health & safety just look away when they weld or grind how they don't loose an eye or arm i don't know.
I like work they do on overhauld with chip foose, what a talent.

flak monkey

posted on 12/1/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I sometimes watch if its an episode I havent seen before. Nice cars and endless amounts of money floating around.

WRT the amount of filler - remember they are going for the ultimate flat panels and perfect panel gaps. They light skim coat the panels with filler then block sand 95% of it off before primer. Without that there will be some ripples in the panels, especially of 40+ year old cars.

quote:

The only true engineer they had there was the old boy, Roy

Sorry, but thats wrong. He was a skilled craftsman not an engineer. Undoubtedly the most skilled sheet metal guy they had. But engineer he wasn't. Sorry its just one of my pet hates.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

scootz

posted on 12/1/11 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Not seen it for a while as we ditched SKY a few years back, but used to love it.

I'll bet a pound to a penny that all the 'drama' and 'bitching' was just for the show... American TV just wouldn't buy a show about car restoration!

It's Evolution Baby!

mistergrumpy

posted on 12/1/11 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

He was a skilled craftsman not an engineer

Absolutely, I agree. A very skilled craftsman but not an engineer. One of my pet hates too. An engineer is someone who's qualified in engineering and has a degree in it as far as I can see. All others are technicians or craftsmen/women. I'd love to be an engineer but have neither the time, money (or brains) to start a degree again. I did try with Open Uni a few years back. Interesting but hard and time consuming.
It's the same for chefs. The fella who cooks the food in the pub on the corner calls himself a chef but he's a cook. The title "Chef" is grossly overused.
Why people can't be happy with their status and have to over exagerrate it is beyond me. Arrogance springs to mind.

martinq357

posted on 12/1/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7en

I don't think that I could have worked there with Dwayne, I would be up for murder after the first day.

Couldn't agree more!! However, we still chuckle about his communication problem..... One episode he had to move house because he didn't communicate about his new girlfriend to his old girlfriend..

Other than that, I've often wondered how they get some of their creations road legal...... Not to mention cutting up a really smart Model T ford to create a B****y Rat Rod!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.