Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ally baseplate - cheapest way?
RazMan

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ally baseplate - cheapest way?

I am making a baseplate for my ITBs along with a custom designed air filter. I am not sure what material to make the baseplate from - is 2mm about right?
Secondly, it is a bit of a strange, complex shape and has tabs for fixing the foam filter down (similar to Pipercross etc) so what is the cheapest way of cutting it out? Waterjet comes to mind but I am open to ideas. I will of course provide a CAD file for all the measurements but it is roughly 400 x 250- Here's the shape for reference...

Baseplate
Baseplate

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
2cv

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Raz, I would not have thought that you would need the backplate to be 2mm thick. 1.5mm was what I used on the Jenveys and it was fine. Much easier to work and drill and of course lighter.
blakep82

posted on 12/1/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
just get the whole thing cut out on a waterjet (or laser if you prefer, for whatever reason) 2mm will be ok, though you probably could go thinner

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

RazMan

posted on 12/1/11 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Aha, I've got some 1.5mm here so I might 'knife & fork' it to see if my design works first, and then get a quantity water jetted when the orders start pouring in

The design for the foam filter will have an identical shape (obviously) but I am not sure what material to make it from. I notice that Ramair & Pipercross make their foam filters on a 15mm(ish) thick plastic frame with a mesh former to support the foam, and I'd like to do something similar ..... but where can I find some suitable plastic? I used something called Foamex when I was a signmaker but I don't think it will be strong enough for this application - it needs to be quite tough & heat resistant. MDF would just disintegrate wouldn't it?

Any ideas guys?

[Edited on 12-1-11 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.