Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying a car with no tax?
corrado vr6

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a car with no tax?

Hi there, in need of some advice, thinking of buying a project car "VW Corrado" which is currently being sold without tax so is sorn now I'm trying to think of the best way or cheapest way of getting it back to my workshop, obviously the legal way would be to tax it and insure it, but once it's in the workshop it won't move for months. As far as I know I think you can get a refund on the tax but would I still loose a whole months worth of tax? Also would I be charged by the insurance for cancelling the insurance policy the next day? Thanks in advance for any help/advice Greg

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

UncleFista

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
How far is it away from your workshop ?
You don't need tax to drive to a booked MOT test, you can also buy a day or week's insurance, with MOST INSURANCE COMPANYS

[Edited on 29/1/11 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

HowardB

posted on 29/1/11 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
trailer, or mate with a trailer, mates mate with a trailer,...?

just a thought

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

slingshot2000

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Trade plates and a Traders Policy ?

Or make friends with someone that has these, still got to be MOT'ed to be legal

Regards
Jon

corrado vr6

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies, it's only about a 30min drive which hardly seems worth the hassle! The cars got MOT just no tax Gonna ring my insurance in the morning to see if they'll insure me Third party only, to drive any car as due to my young age I have never been given this option lol just realised it's Sunday tomorrow and the post office wont be open anyway if I go down this route lol

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

JoelP

posted on 29/1/11 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
simplest way if you can insure is to book it for an mot, but with insurance costs that would be £70ish. Cheaper to hire a trailer, even cheaper if you know someone who could do it. Speak to a recovery firm, they could do it cheap if there was no urgency to move it quick, as they could do it when quiet.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 29/1/11 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Been doing this myself recently getting a car prepped for MOT. My plan was to just drive it and if stopped I am actually going to the MOT place, and I'm fine with taxing it for this month officer, it just needs the MOT first!

Total cost, about £30 for two sets of day insurance

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/1/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Don't aviva do a free 7 day insurance thing (may be just from auctions/dealers though?)
BUT would agree, safest bet is a trailer. 30mins is plenty for the boys in blue or an ANPR camera to spot you, and then you are in a real spot of bother. Or if you have an "incident". That would be trickier.....

morcus

posted on 30/1/11 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
I got a free 7 days insurance from aviva on a new car, but the dealer had to confirm it.

If you have the liquid funds you could technically buy a years insurance and cancel it withing 14 days for a full refund but I'm in no way sugesting you do this as it's probably illegal.

Best bet is to get a trailer or get someone who can do it on trade plates, are you friendly with any mechnics places? My dad got his car sorted by getting his car picked up by mechs with trade plates.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

owelly

posted on 30/1/11 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
If anyone is "driving to the MOT station officer", make sure the MOT center has your name and the VRM of the vehicle otherwise you're not travelling to a pre-booked MOT.
If it was me, I'd contact my insurer, tell them I was interested in buying said Corrado and ask them for cover but explain to them that you may not be buying the car if you don't get the deal you want. My insurance will cover another vehicle for 14 days which is supposed to give me time to sell the old car (or to cancel the 'new' one).Once home safe and sound, phone them and ask them to cancel the Corrado insurance. If you get reported for no tax, show the BiB the receipt for the car explaining that you've just boiught it, ask the plod to contact you insurance to prove you have cover, job jobbed.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevegough

posted on 30/1/11 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Tow it - (but don't forget it is illegal on the motorway without a proper bar or A frame).

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

minitici

posted on 30/1/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Tow it - (but don't forget it is illegal on the motorway without a proper bar or A frame).

'fraid that would not work as car needs tax and insurance if any of the road wheels are on the public highway......

stevepj

posted on 30/1/11 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Hire a trailer for the day, no messing about with temporary insurance etc, heres a link to one in Winchester, only £38 for the day

Trailer Hire

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.