Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing UPVC door lock to one handle
greggors84

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Changing UPVC door lock to one handle

My house has UPVC doors with multipoint locking, there is a handle on both sides of the door and to lock you have to lift the handle and turn the key.

Is there any way of converting this so I can get rid of the outside handle or to stop it being able to open the door. Ideally I want to keep the multi point locking so would need to keep the outside handle as it activates the lock, but if its pushed down it doesn't do anything.

The sprung latch can be pulled back by turning the key from the outside but the dead bolt only works once the handle has been lifted.

Are there some sort of 1 way handle that would allow this or a different type of lock altogether?

Hope that makes sense!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

austin man

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
confused as to why you dont want to be able to open the door from the outside,

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

greggors84

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
To stop anyone wandering in. At night the door is locked, but to have to keep locking it and unlocking it during the day would be a pain in the arse.

I don't live in a bad area and i'm not being paranoid (am i!) but it wouldn't take much for an opportunist to fancy a look in while someone was upstairs or in the shower.

Just wondering if there is a simple solution, if not I will leave it as it is.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Chippy

posted on 7/2/11 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
If sounds the same as ours, and if you don't have full operation of the handle, (both up and down), then you cant open the door from outside as you have to pull the hadle down, (after unlocking), to release the multi point latches. What I did to make things easier was to fit the knob operated euro locks so doing away with the key inside, much simpler to lock. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

rgrs

posted on 8/2/11 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Yes you can but may well require a complete locking assembly, the only problem with fitting the euro cylinders with a knob is it will invalidate your insurance policy as it does not meet minimum standards.

Roger

tegwin

posted on 8/2/11 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
My front door does this...

By pushing the handle down it does nothing... you need the key to open door from outside... the inside one works as normal...

Apparently that is very unusual (as my builder tells me when they locked them selves out!)

Chippy

posted on 8/2/11 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rgrs
Yes you can but may well require a complete locking assembly, the only problem with fitting the euro cylinders with a knob is it will invalidate your insurance policy as it does not meet minimum standards.
Roger

Not what my insurance company said when I asked them about it prior to fitting it. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

rgrs

posted on 22/2/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Its fine if you have declared it and they have taken this into account when calculating premiums, however if you look in the small print on most policies they assume that you have 5 lever DEAD locks fitted as a minimum.

It is one of the declaration questions that they ask you on the phone, unfortunately i have been to a few sites recently with the insurance companys investigator and trust me they don't miss a thing.

Roger

DarrenW

posted on 22/2/11 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
My front door does this...

By pushing the handle down it does nothing... you need the key to open door from outside... the inside one works as normal...

Apparently that is very unusual (as my builder tells me when they locked them selves out!)

Mine does it too. Very annoying, lost count how many times ive forgotten and shut door behind me. Cant be too unusual as i think all houses on the estate do it (approx 6 years old). I think they are all built by Bryant.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/2/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Standard fitting for front doors - just had double-glazed 2 doors fitted, front and back. The back door is as described by the OP - have to lock it - but the front door requires a key to open it from the outside, just like a traditional door with a Yale lock.

Hellfire

posted on 22/2/11 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a sash jammer to my front UPVC door whilst I replaced the locking mechanism. Works a treat when you dont want to lock the door if you're nipping upstairs for a quick shower.

Like this:

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.