Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: glass filled nylon adhesive
andrew-theasby

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
glass filled nylon adhesive

Anybody know of an adhesive for what i think is glass filled/reinforced nylon? Its the stuff my intake trumpets are made of, and the only other similar material is what model aeroplane engine mounts are made of. Thought it would be abs at first but its not. Super glue wont stick it. Thanks
hicost blade

posted on 21/2/11 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Looks as though a hot melt glue gun is good for nylon

http://www.ehow.com/way_5644774_glue-sticks-nylon_.html

andrew-theasby

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm interesting read, thanks for that, id found similar, but wasnt sure if it meant nylon fabric or not. Thats clear enough though. I wonder if a soldering iron would plastic weld it?
austin man

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
when I was in the window manufacturing game we used to plastic weld the frames the kay to welsing was the use of teflon sheet between the heat source and the plastic. Both parts heated and push fitted under pressure

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

David Jenkins

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have read about someone playing a blowtorch over the nylon before gluing - apparently it softens the surface slightly and allows the glue to adhere properly.

Or so they claim... I have no personal experience...

CNHSS1

posted on 21/2/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Devcon Plastic Welder epoxy, night and day better than ordinary cyanos or epoxies

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Confused but excited.

posted on 21/2/11 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Loctite Super Glue 2 for all plastics, with some success but not tried it on nylon.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Alan B

posted on 21/2/11 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I have read about someone playing a blowtorch over the nylon before gluing - apparently it softens the surface slightly and allows the glue to adhere properly.

Or so they claim... I have no personal experience...

David,

It probably alters the surface tension (think soap) so the glue will flow rather than softening it much. We make machines that print a lot of plastic parts and you have to treat many plastics before printing to get the ink to stick.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rachaeljf

posted on 22/2/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
The problem you have is that it is glass reinforced nylon. You might be able to join it but you will only get the strength of the native nylon, as the glass fibres don't cross the joint.

Cheers R

dhutch

posted on 22/2/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rachaeljf
The problem you have is that it is glass reinforced nylon. You might be able to join it but you will only get the strength of the native nylon, as the glass fibres don't cross the joint.

Its certainly true that the join will never be as strong as orignally, but given then glass is proberbly only there for stiffness, it may not be a problem assuming atleast some form of adheasion can be achived.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.