New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: araldite and antifrreze
blakep82

posted on 25/2/11 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
araldite and antifrreze

Will they react badly together?
stevepj

posted on 25/2/11 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
No, but araldite doesn't like being heated up and goes soft above 65 degrees C, so not really suited to repairs on your cooling system
blakep82

posted on 25/2/11 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh didn't realise it had trouble with temperatures. Wasnt for a repair, but to attach copper olives to the header tank, as the pipes are too small for the oyster tool . Any other suggestions?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JeffHs

posted on 25/2/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
What's the header tank made of? Can you solder the olives?
blakep82

posted on 25/2/11 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
It's aluminium, don't know if they can be soldered? Is prefer to solder right enough

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

JeffHs

posted on 25/2/11 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ali can be soldered. Old boys used to do it on cars. Secret is to scratch through the ali surface under the pool of solder until the solder starts to stick - same technique as with ali welding stuff (Aluweld?) use a stainless rod or stainless brush and scratch the surface while the solder is molten. Little bits will start to stick then it gets easier. It's a bit fiddly and takes some time but once the ali is 'tinned'all round, then should be dead simple to solder the olives.
Confused but excited.

posted on 25/2/11 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just use Chemical Metal or JB Weld?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

paulf

posted on 25/2/11 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Araldite would most likely be ok, some epoxy resins are better rated than others so may be worth checking specs on them.I once araldited a spark plug into a lawn mower engine that the threads had been stripped on and it did the job ok.An
alternative maybe to use a brake pipe flaring tool depending on the pipe size.
Paul

plentywahalla

posted on 25/2/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
We used to make vacuum forming tools from iron filled Araldite epoxy. They withstood temperatures far above typical radiator temps like 110 degrees.

It is true that epoxy will soften when heated but this is usually only once and is part of the post curing process. After that it should take the temperature without problem. Best to use a filled (iron or Aluminium) epoxy if possible as it will help to dissipate heat to the metal its bonded to

indykid

posted on 26/2/11 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
my mx5 is currently running an alloy rad that's patched up in about 20 places where a badly fitted fan wore through the cores (one of those cable tie jobs, but with no isolation between the fan and the rad cores)

it was patched using unibond metal adhesive from b&q and has seen 2 trackdays on a turbo'd mx5 running 13psi and numerous road miles (probably 7 or 8k) on my NA since

the edges of the cores were roughed up with 240grit wet and dry then some of the epoxy dolloped over.

should be absolutely fine in your case
tom

blakep82

posted on 27/2/11 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
awesome, i'll have a look and see i can get in halfords to do the job

re the soldering, what type of solder? plumbing solder i guess? is it different to they type you using in electronics?

[Edited on 27/2/11 by blakep82]

MakeEverything

posted on 27/2/11 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
awesome, i'll have a look and see i can get in halfords to do the job

re the soldering, what type of solder? plumbing solder i guess? is it different to they type you using in electronics?

[Edited on 27/2/11 by blakep82]

Not sure if the two solders are the same, but both types will take over 100 degrees C. Manufacturers spec sheet (MSDS) should provide the melting point. Obviously you need it over 130 or if you boil over youll melt the solder too!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.